You forgot the milk...

Options
Out of general curiosity I have looked at a few food diaries and have noticed one glaringly obvious thing when it comes to breakfast- they forget the milk!

They have porridge and other cereals... but forget to factor in the milk.

Protein shakes I appreciate can be made with water, but still, not everyone can be making it with water right??? I know I put a bit of milk in there to cream it up a bit.

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I put in milk whenever I log my foods. I like to know my calcium intake also I'm amazed at how many calories is in a glass of 1 or 2 percent.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't put milk in my porridge. So, that's why.
  • VinVenture
    VinVenture Posts: 290
    Options
    Oatmeal made with water, protein shakes made with water. I can't be the only one who does this, so why assume others 'forget' the milk?
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal with water.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk and i track it.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I don't like milk, so it's never in my food diary.

I eat my cereal dry, I use water in my oatmeal, and I mix my protein powder with Greek Yogurt. So I'm not forgetting milk, I just never use it.
  • harrydresden
    Options
    Cereal without milk IS pretty odd... same with if people log tea and coffee without logging the milk (if they take it).

I don't drink milk-milk (no cow juice for me, thanks), so when I do log my nut- and rice-based alternatives, it has little impact on calories.
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow, it had just never occured to me to make porridge or anything with water- mainly because I follow instructions on the packet to a T lol. I just assumed they weren't including the milk! :embarassed:
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I always add the milk in when I've had some. I use Soya milk for my protein shakes and Skimmed for Tea, Cereal and Omelettes.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If I eat a bowl of cereal with milk (unsweetened almond milk) I log it.

But I make my oatmeal with water.

And I often takes baggies of cereal to eat on their own. I did this just yesterday, took a bag of Kashi cereal to eat as a snack while on the road.

You can't assume anything about what people are "forgetting" to log based off of your own personal eating habits or preferences. I never eat my toast without PB2 on it. So should I assume that if I see people logging bread without PB2 that they are forgetting to log their PB2? No, because it's an illogical conclusion with no basis other than a personal preference.

Honestly, it's posts/judgements like this of other people's food logs that make me keep mine private. >.<
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you don't see milk on mine, mean's I didn't have any.....:)
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant , so no... I don't "forget" the milk -- I DON"T DRINK IT!!!!

I also don't use ketchup or mustard.

I don't put cream and sugar in my coffee.

I don't add whipped cream to my Starbucks Skinny Caramel Macchiato.

I don't do alot of things --- but if I do it, I log it.

Don't judge when you don't know the facts!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If I consume milk, I track it. Even if it's just a splash in my cup of coffee, it goes in the log. Even the coffee goes in the log, for the about 2 calories in an 8oz cup that it comes out to being (see "coffee brewed from grounds" in the database).

I try to only drink fat free milk, but that's still 80 calories per 8oz cup. Adds up fast.

I also know people (who are not on MFP) who are lactose intolerant or have celiac's (milk & gluten intolerant) who will eat dry cereal just dry or with a drizzle of honey. It happens.
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    I don't put milk in my porridge. So, that's why.

Yeah, I'm a vegan. Soy milk's expensive. We're in America so... water's free!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nope I drink 3-4 cups a day and log every cup....... all part of tracking my caloric intake...
  • MaudeBeige
    MaudeBeige Posts: 282
    Options
    Water in my oats and often black coffee too!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yup oatmeal with water here too.

don't know about the cereal thing though
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't drink cows milk anymore though I will use a liquid creamer every now and again with my coffee. When I make oatmeal I use water and when I eat cereal I use Unsweetened Almond Milk, so I never have real milk to log!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I find it very strange that you would make that kind of assumption. It would never occur to me to assume someone just didn't log something only because it's not the same way I eat a food.

Curiouser and curiouser.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    90% of the time I eat cereal dry, like a snack...if I do use milk I log it...for oatmeal I use water...so, no, I didn't forget