Replies

• htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I eat my cereal dry most of the time. Milk kinda makes me feel sick
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I very rarely have milk on my cereal. I hate that. Soggy cereal gives me the heebie jeebies... lol. Only Rice Krispies - and Gluten Free Rice Krispies are EXPENSIVE!
    I do drink almond milk, but I would rarely waste it on cereal, its expensive too.
    I'm not much of a cereal eater anyway. I'd rather have eggs, toast, or something like that. I love greek yogurt with granola, yum!
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    some of the porridges I make have the milk factored into them when I scan them in
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    As I have posted in many threads.. milk is food for baby cows. Why would humans need milk meant to make a baby cow grow up healthy. Maybe if you have a friend who's not nursing they could give you their milk? YUK.. that's the way I look at it.
  • firedudecndn
    Options
    Milk is designed for baby cows.

(from: http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html)

The milk of every species of mammal
    is unique and specifically tailored to the requirements of
    that animal. For example, cows' milk is very much richer in
    protein than human milk. Three to four times as much. It has
    five to seven times the mineral content. However, it is
    markedly deficient in essential fatty acids when compared to
    human mothers' milk. Mothers' milk has six to ten times as
    much of the essential fatty acids, especially linoleic acid.
    (Incidentally, skimmed cow's milk has no linoleic acid). It
    simply is not designed for humans.

Baby cows take about 2 years to reach physical maturity. Baby humans take about 20.
    For those that insist that insist on drinking milk; go for it. The facts are the facts though. Cows milk is designed for baby cows. Human milk is designed for human babies. It is designed for the animals from which it comes.
    I'm not saying you should not drink milk. Read this carefully; I'm not saying you should not drink milk but be aware that it is not designed for you, is missing key ingredients humans need and is designed for baby cows.
    And I'll discuss this intelligently with anyone who offers a reasonable, researched response. I will ignore or mock anyone who feels they need to express their immaturity and ignorance through "hater" type messages. Once again, I'm stating I am NOT TELLING YOU NOT TO DRINK MILK. It's your choice to do so, it's my choice to not drink it because it's not designed for humans. If you feel a need to proselytize; go to church.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I use milk in grits...now almond thanks to and MFP friend and water in the oatmeal. I have pretty much cut out the breakfast cerals. Does anyone know how almond milk tastes in French toast?
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I didn't forget it either, make my oats with water...
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I find it very strange that you would make that kind of assumption. It would never occur to me to assume someone just didn't log something only because it's not the same way I eat a food.

Curiouser and curiouser.

That and some stuff on the nutritional info will show the calorie count as-is and the calories with a certain type of milk added, so sometimes you don't necessarily need to log it separate.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Wow, it had just never occured to me to make porridge or anything with water- mainly because I follow instructions on the packet to a T lol. I just assumed they weren't including the milk! :embarassed:

I've never seen a porridge packet saying to use milk.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You can't imagine making oats with water or eating dry cereal... interesting.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Baby cows take about 2 years to reach physical maturity. Baby humans take about 20.
    For those that insist that insist on drinking milk; go for it. The facts are the facts though. Cows milk is designed for baby cows. Human milk is designed for human babies. It is designed for the animals from which it comes.
    I'm not saying you should not drink milk. Read this carefully; I'm not saying you should not drink milk but be aware that it is not designed for you, is missing key ingredients humans need and is designed for baby cows.
    And I'll discuss this intelligently with anyone who offers a reasonable, researched response. I will ignore or mock anyone who feels they need to express their immaturity and ignorance through "hater" type messages. Once again, I'm stating I am NOT TELLING YOU NOT TO DRINK MILK. It's your choice to do so, it's my choice to not drink it because it's not designed for humans. If you feel a need to proselytize; go to church.

Thanks for that link... I have people in my life bugging about when my 14 month old daughter is going to be just drinking milk when she does drink milk since birth, human milk! Health Canada says human milk until age 2 minimum but it seems people think I'm a weirdo because I don't force her off my milk onto some other mammal milk. Sigh.
  • delilah47
    Options
    I don't put milk in my porridge. So, that's why.

Yeah, I'm a vegan. Soy milk's expensive. We're in America so... water's free!

Well, not exactly free. I pay almost $100 per month for water/sewer. I always wondered why they include those 2 together on a bill? Not very appealing, eh?
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

Please don't use someone else's thread as a soapbox for your habits and beliefs. If you think drinking cow milk is wrong, no matter the reason why, that's fine. But making a long post about why cow milk is for cows and cows only while, stupidly, adding in "I'm not telling you to not drink milk" is pretty well off-topic. If you wanna discuss the morality and general logic of humans consuming another animal's milk then make your own thread or go find a site with others who believe the same thing and are willing to discuss it.

It's a long-standing fact humans will do what they want regardless of who or what it harms or how unnatural it is.
  • delilah47
    Options

I already said that.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The thought of dry cereal (or cereal with water) makes me gag, too. So I get where the OP is coming from.

I use skim milk exclusively and remember to consider it when looking at my overall daily eating. And I don't particularly care about it being meant for baby cows. I like it.:wink:
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think what the OP is saying is they noticed that people often forget to log things like milk, etc. Who has " one bowl of cereal" without milk?! Very few. I don't think the OP was saying you people specifically forgot.

I agree OP, tons of people do not log food properly, and wonder why there is no loss. It can add up to tons of extra calories!
  • tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Out of general curiosity I have looked at a few food diaries and have noticed one glaringly obvious thing when it comes to breakfast- they forget the milk!

They have porridge and other cereals... but forget to factor in the milk.

Protein shakes I appreciate can be made with water, but still, not everyone can be making it with water right??? I know I put a bit of milk in there to cream it up a bit.

Lactose intolerant, never use milk, but love Almond Breeze. I do the unsweetened with my protien shakes. Yum!!! I look forward to them and I use a powdered supplement (Daily Biobasics) that I add to it. Everything is logged. :-)
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I make it with water, as did my mother, and her mother.

Here's a delicious porridge recipe:

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/pinhead-oat-porridge

225 g pinhead oatmeal
    250 ml milk
    20 g butter
    35 g caster sugar
    1 pinch ground nutmeg
    1 pinch ground cinnamon
    50 ml double cream

1. The evening before serving, soak the oatmeal in a bowl of water for 12 hours

2. Next day, drain the oatmeal and put it in a saucepan with the milk and butter. Bring to the boil then simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes or until the oats have softened

3. Remove from the heat and beat in the sugar, then the spices to taste. Stir in the double cream and serve
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of cereals that give you the caloric values with the milk added.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    There are a lot of cereals that give you the caloric values with the milk added.

This. People could be using the nutritional values on the box. I notice a lot of cereals list values for the cereal only, and then the cereal plus x amount of milk.