Do you love ranch dressing?

Options
vieilleame
vieilleame Posts: 17 Member
I finally started using MFP regularly this week. I discovered that I was consuming HUNDREDS of calories due to ranch dressing alone! Even still... the thought of giving it up completely totally bummed me out. But then I found this by doing some Google research:

Just get the Hidden Valley ranch powder packet (70 calories in the whole thing) and mix it with a container of Daisy Light sour cream. It's delicious!

The best part? Only 50 calories in 2 tablespoons :)

Hope this helps you guys!

Replies

• hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Ranch....only HIdden Valley. Does this taste just like the original Hidden Valley Ranch? I would so use it if it was even close! It's the one thing I just refuse to give up, but hate how high in calories it is!
  • aelarek
    aelarek Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. Gotta try it.
  • kayers26
    kayers26 Posts: 9
    Options
    You can also mix it with plain yogurt - same taste, fewer calories!
  • vieilleame
    Options
    The taste is distinctively Hidden Valley, so long as you can get used to the creaminess of the sour cream! I use it on sandwiches or as a dip for veggie pizza.

It's definitely worth trying! I don't think you'll be disappointed :)
  • vieilleame
    Options
    I didn't even think about yogurt!!! What a fantastic idea. I'm going to try that next, thank you!!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Yummy....love this idea~ thanks!!!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    another idea for you with a ranch packet...My family loves ranch flavor so I add 1/2 pack to 1lb ground turkey and it adds all the flavor of ranch without the added calories! tastes great in a wrap!! yummmy!
  • kayers26
    kayers26 Posts: 9
    Options
    if you use ranch on your salads, get the dressing packets and follow the directions to ake it as a dressing. it lasts for a couple weeks and is really delicious.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My friend told me mixing ranch seasoning into greek yogurt makes a great veggie dip. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm inclined to believe it...
  • carlyholly
    Options
    My friend told me mixing ranch seasoning into greek yogurt makes a great veggie dip. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm inclined to believe it...

It's soooo good.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If I make it at home I do healthier alternatives but when we go out (not often) I just go for the real thing. I had 4 TBS yesterday @ 257 calories and it was worth all 257 of them. :)
  • jbuntu
    jbuntu Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For dressing, I use the Hidden Valley Ranch packet, 1 cup skim milk, and 1 cup plain (or even vanilla) greek yogurt. I keep it in one of those plastic squeeze bottles like they have at Subway. With the squeeze bottle you can evenly distribute it across your salad/veggie wrap and easily control the amount used.
  • RachelNichole85
    RachelNichole85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Thanks for the idea!! :)
  • RachelNichole85
    RachelNichole85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I would like it with the yogurt because I hate yogurt. But can you really taste it after adding the ranch packet?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I hate ranch dressing but I have heard of putting the seasonings into non-fat, drained greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Maybe it has fewer calories or is creamier? I don't know. Glad you found an alternative for yourself though. Good planning!
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I finally started using MFP regularly this week. I discovered that I was consuming HUNDREDS of calories due to ranch dressing alone! Even still... the thought of giving it up completely totally bummed me out. But then I found this by doing some Google research:

Just get the Hidden Valley ranch powder packet (70 calories in the whole thing) and mix it with a container of Daisy Light sour cream. It's delicious!

The best part? Only 50 calories in 2 tablespoons :)

I do this too! Only, I use fat free sour cream, it does taste different but still satisfies my craving for ranch. The light sour cream does taste like the original though!

Hope this helps you guys!
  • texastumbleweed1
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. :drinker:
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My friend is going to try to add some of the powder to cottage cheese too!! That might be yummy for a dip!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use the HVR "buttermilk" pack, mixed with fat free butter milk and greek yogurt!! Yummo!
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I tried using it in yogurt and while it is healthier and it does the trick, it tastes so much better to me in the sour cream for some reason.