Trader Joe's

Options
13»

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Love my trader joe's. No salt added tuna and low salt if you aren't really watching that (pink label). Chili pepper sauce, spaghetti sauce, ground turkey, Calbee SnapPea crisps, organic eggs, taquitos, I do get certain fresh fruits and veggies there I can't get anywhere else, hummus, lots of great canned beans. There is lots more but those are pretty much standards. They have lots of yummy frozen veggies too.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    SOYRIZO!!! Its fake chorizo and deeeeelish! Its in the produce section.

Fiber cereal
    Madras Lentils (Indian food in the Grocery isle)
    Veggie Corn dogs (2 dollars cheaper than the morning star farms one, 150 calories, 45 seconds in the microwave)
    Frozen Papaya salad
    Bison burgers(frozen)

I do get the hype and love the store. I do not think I have had anything that sucks there as of yet. I also get lots of the noodle bowls that you pour water in and microwave for my husband, he loves them and they are between 2 and 3 dollars cheaper than our local grocery store. The Chicken Masala is friggin insane delish but at 600 calories, I have to pass for now.

Just a warning the stores are typically small so if it just opened, do not be surprised if you find yourself frustrated at how crowded it is. We have 2 in this city and there has been 2 separate occasions that I had to leave because I could not even find a parking space.
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    LOVE Trader Joe's! I'm always finding something new - but a few things I ALWAYS have on hand are: Almond Butter w/Roasted Flax Seed, Chicken Sausage w/Spinach & Fontina, Chicken Cilantro Wontons, Joe's Dark Coffee Beans ($4.99!!), Quick Steel Cut Oats, Wasaubi Peas, Puff Pastry Margarita Pizza, Peanut Butter filled Pretzel Nuggets, Pumpkin Pancake Mix (in the Fall), Frozen Edamame, Frozen Naan...the list goes on and on! The others are right......take the time to BROWSE!!!
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Just a warning the stores are typically small so if it just opened, do not be surprised if you find yourself frustrated at how crowded it is. We have 2 in this city and there has been 2 separate occasions that I had to leave because I could not even find a parking space.

^^ This. Weekends can be murder unless you go really early. Ours is usually packed, but we went at 9 a.m. this Sunday when they opened, and there was hardly anyone there. Friday nights after work are also hugely busy.
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump..one is opening in my area soon too!!
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Another bargain that I don't think anyone has mentioned - the maple syrup! Also Kerrygold butter is .50-.75 cents cheaper there than at my local grocery stores. Olive oil is a bargain too.

I like the frozen edemame, and they have a pretty good frozen fish selection.

Their dried pastas are excellent, and all the different sauces and curries are great to have on hand to spice up "boring diet food", lol.

I don't buy produce there unless it's an emergency, just not usually the freshest available in my area, but ymmv.

It's not the main store I shop at, but I try to go at least once a month for a few things that really improve the overall quality and range of my diet.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Almond butter
    Hummus (the Mediterranean Cream & Smooth variety is my fave)
    Produce (I've never had problems with quality at my store, and I worked produce for 8 years, I'm picky!)
    Chocolatey Cat Cookies
    GREEK YOGURT!! TJ's is my favorite!
    Fruit juices - they have some great ones for mixing in smoothies and for mixing in margaritas!
    These little rice crackers with soy & flax seed
    Frozen green beans - awesome and cook up fast
    Frozen quinoa dish - so good!
    Jo-Jo's - like oreos but a wee bit better for you because there's no hydrogenated junk, my kid loves them. Ok, so do I!
    Of course, the wine section! :drinker:

I know there are more things, but there's a few of our regular purchases.

Edited to add: Oh yes, agree on the maple syrup! And I like their spices too. It's not a huge section, but of the ones they have, I've found them to be better than jarred spices I get at the regular grocery store.