Seriously ... 1200 calories or less

Options

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    This seems to be an excellent calorie calculation.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/calorie-calculator.html

I've been cutting about 20% from what is recommended on this calculation and I've seen some really nice results. I'm losing fat and gaining strength.

thanks for the link, i'm using it :wink:
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options

I've been cutting about 20% from what is recommended on this calculation and I've seen some really nice results. I'm losing fat and gaining strength.

Thanks for this - its really flexible. I 'played around' with the hours to see what my body would burn 1) just sleeping all day 2) sleeping normal hours with the rest sedentary 3) just doing a normal day with no exercise and 4) a day with exercise. I know that these are never totally accurate as they do not take into account individual specifics, but it is a great guide.

No problem. I see that many people are confused about BMR and TDEE. This is like a one stop shop to get a general guide of what your maintenance would be on a typical day for you. Take that typical day, reduce your calories by a reasonable amount and there you go.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Some people got all butt hurt and offended ;D
    and I've realized there are only a few people who took it way too hard
    ALSO i realized all the ripped body builders and people (both men and women) who replied, were very supporting,
    so thanks for supporting ;D not that this is a cause or anything haha
    ANYWAY! at the end of the day, I'm fit as f**k, so do what ever the FU*CK YOU WANNA DO :D
  • ChrisParish
    Options
    I'm losing weight on 1830 calories, but I'm a big tall bloke. This site has got to be the best thing since sliced bread, it's really helping me. I've been meaning to start losing weight for some years and then a friend told me about myfitnesspal. Last night I had a vindaloo and a couple of glasses of red wine and was still on target! I've got 37Kg to lose and it should be gone in time for Christmas. Just a note of caution to others, I keep forgetting to drink enough (water or whatever) which can be really bad. If you don't drink enough this can make you feel hungry, so don't forget the regular drinks! :happy:
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Thank you. Excellent link. I bookmarked it.
  • Using this method (http://blogs.menshealth.com/health-headlines/calculate-your-daily-calorie-needs/2010/07/13) to calculate, I should eat 3193 calories a day (including 30-60 minutes of moderate activity) to lose 2 lbs. a week. MFP sets my goal at 2800 per day to lose 2 lbs.

The reality is probably somewhere in between. One size doesn't fit all, but we all need a base number to start from. I see both of these as guidelines. I try to eat around this level, but most days, my net usually hits around 2000 calories a day. I feel fine and I'm losing fairly steadily. Once my body type shifts from obese to a much healthier level, I'm gonna have to start watching the numbers more closely, but this is where I have been most successful to this point. I could drop bigger numbers quicker if weight loss was my only goal, but health is a marathon, not a sprint.

I think it's important to start by evaluating your goals, find your own starting level and make adjustments as you need to, staying as close as possible to the recommended guidelines. I think on some level, both the op and those who disagree make very valid points. There are basic guidelines that we all have to stay close to for good health. The key is finding where you fit as an individual and go with it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    ALSO i realized all the ripped body builders and people (both men and women) who replied, were very supporting,
    ANYWAY! at the end of the day, I'm fit as f**k, so do what ever the FU*CK YOU WANNA DO :D
    The last line of your post here says (maybe) you finally got the point. Do what works for YOU.,.. and let others do what works for them. What works for a body builder (whatever you call it), isn't necessarily what works for someone who is just trying to get in the normal range on the BMI chart and live a healthier life.
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've read all the posts in this thread and I figured I would add my opinion according to my personal experience. I started losing weight in March of 2008. I ate very little and lost a lot of weight quite quickly, within a year 90-100lbs gone. That being said, I have not lost a pound since then. I have not changed my eating habits. I know now since I started keeping the food diary that I hardly eat at all. I am having trouble eating 1200 calories that was recommended. Also, I have gotten a fitness assessment at the gym this last week and I have 35.6% body fat. So, the only conclusion I can come up with is to agree with the people saying that you have to eat more to loss weight and gain muscle. Right now I am so stuck....I am having so much trouble just trying to train myself to even eat 1200 after all this time and now that I've started exercising I don't know what to do. I am painfully aware that I am what they call here "skinny fat". It is quite depressing that I have wasted so much of my time just wanting to be "skinny" that I have caused myself maybe more harm than good.
    Anyway, I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, or if someone has some advice for me but I just wanted to share my experience.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Bump- to read later
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    The last line of your post here says (maybe) you finally got the point. Do what works for YOU.,.. and let others do what works for them. What works for a body builder (whatever you call it), isn't necessarily what works for someone who is just trying to get in the normal range on the BMI chart and live a healthier life.

Ah, to have the metabolism of a 20 year old! I should have looked at some of the poster's ages before commenting. There's a world of difference between a 20 year old guy who's super fit and a 40 year old chick that's 100 lbs overweight. Big difference.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I fully agree that everyone should do what works best for them as individuals. But unless you've tried different things, you can't really say what works best for you.

It's been my experience that with just about everything in life, there is such a thing as trying too hard. If you're dating and try to hard, you make the person you're trying to date run scared thinking you're desperate. If you're in school, learning all through the semester is better than cramming right before the test. Trying to run... you're better off slowing your pace and having enough endurance to run the whole distance than trying to sprint as fast as you can and burning out quickly. Family vacations were the epitome of trying too hard... soooo much work and fuss trying to make something the perfect relaxing moment! :laugh:

So why wouldn't losing weight be any different? Why wouldn't it be better to set an easily attainable goal with a small to moderate calorie deficit?

BTW... just upped my calories to 1840 plus exercise calories, and I'm still losing weight while "on maintenance." Yet a few years ago, I was struggling to lose while eating less than 1000 a day and blamed my crappy middle age metabolism. :laugh:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

Ah, to have the metabolism of a 20 year old! I should have looked at some of the poster's ages before commenting. There's a world of difference between a 20 year old guy who's super fit and a 40 year old chick that's 100 lbs overweight. Big difference.
    Hey! Good luck kwest. Hope to see you again in the posts... I like a lively debate! :happy: :happy:
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm a 51 year old female.
    I've been dieting since my early 20s.
    I started at about 145 and have ended up at 286 (highest weight in 2008) and am now at 251.
    Thanks, dieting!

After many stops and starts since joining mfp, I finally decided to try eating at a much higher calorie level that I would consider appropriate to lose weight.
    I'm now eating an average of 1950 calories per day with hardly any exercise and am now 8 lbs lighter than I was on Feb 20/12.

It's very bizarre to me that I'm losing weight at a steadier rate than when I tried the 1200 calorie nonsense (for me, of course ... can't speak for anyone else)
    I get to eat. I have a lot more energy. I can sleep longer and more soundly. I feel like a human being again and I'm 100% confident that THIS TIME I'm going to make it to my goal of losing 100 lbs of excess fat. :smile:

1950 calories FTW!
  • momma2teacher
    momma2teacher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in Jan. I followed the 1200 and after the original "water weight" I stopped losing. I tried eating more, working out more, etc, but nothing. I wasn't gaining or losing. I wasn't even losing inches. I thought...I will just try eating below 1200 and see what happens...um, I started losing. I average a 2 pounds a week. I eat about 1000 calories a day with 2 "cheat days" when I eat 1200 + some of my exercise calories. I am 5'5". It just wasn't working...not everyone's bodies are built the same. Just sayin
  • jay_mcknight
    Options
    My 2.5 year old toddler's caloric requirements are around 1000-1400 calories. She weights 24lbs.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nutrition-for-kids/NU00606
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I fully agree that everyone should do what works best for them as individuals. But unless you've tried different things, you can't really say what works best for you.

It's been my experience that with just about everything in life, there is such a thing as trying too hard. If you're dating and try to hard, you make the person you're trying to date run scared thinking you're desperate. If you're in school, learning all through the semester is better than cramming right before the test. Trying to run... you're better off slowing your pace and having enough endurance to run the whole distance than trying to sprint as fast as you can and burning out quickly. Family vacations were the epitome of trying too hard... soooo much work and fuss trying to make something the perfect relaxing moment! :laugh:

So why wouldn't losing weight be any different? Why wouldn't it be better to set an easily attainable goal with a small to moderate calorie deficit?

BTW... just upped my calories to 1840 plus exercise calories, and I'm still losing weight while "on maintenance." Yet a few years ago, I was struggling to lose while eating less than 1000 a day and blamed my crappy middle age metabolism. :laugh:

Just to highlight what has been said here. You need to bear in mind also that if you are losing weight on a VLCD, a large percentage of that will be lean mass and not fat. The number on the scale needs to be a low priority - health, wellbeing and fitness should take precedent.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is plenty for me as long as I eat the correct foods...high in protein and fiber
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've read all the posts in this thread and I figured I would add my opinion according to my personal experience. I started losing weight in March of 2008. I ate very little and lost a lot of weight quite quickly, within a year 90-100lbs gone. That being said, I have not lost a pound since then. I have not changed my eating habits. I know now since I started keeping the food diary that I hardly eat at all. I am having trouble eating 1200 calories that was recommended. Also, I have gotten a fitness assessment at the gym this last week and I have 35.6% body fat. So, the only conclusion I can come up with is to agree with the people saying that you have to eat more to loss weight and gain muscle. Right now I am so stuck....I am having so much trouble just trying to train myself to even eat 1200 after all this time and now that I've started exercising I don't know what to do. I am painfully aware that I am what they call here "skinny fat". It is quite depressing that I have wasted so much of my time just wanting to be "skinny" that I have caused myself maybe more harm than good.
    Anyway, I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, or if someone has some advice for me but I just wanted to share my experience.

There are so many people here only interested in the number on the scale going down, and not worried how much of that loss is actually lean muscle, not fat.

Good luck with your goals.
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    But what if you have to lose X pounds by a certain date? I don't have the time to do anything long term. I need to drop another 13 pounds in a little over 4 months.

Not to be mean, but... there's is no valid reason anyone has to lose X pounds by a certain date.

I agree here, people usually say they need to lose that weight for things like weddings, but people need to keep things in perspective, Do it healthy please.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just saw someone with700 calories each day, and burning a considerable amount of it with people sayin WTG, Well done...etc. Are they serious?