People who try to sabotage my diet!

Options
13»

Replies

• Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    People share food. It's what they do. For some people, sharing a meal is a social event. It's not sabotage...people are just behaving like they usually do.
  • paiello11
    Options
    I know exactly what you all are feeling! I've been trying to keep track on a healthy diet but it doesn't help living in a college house with all of my friends who eat whatever they want. It's hard to be the one who doesn't eat something that everyone else is enjoying!
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No matter what anyone says, you do what you want!! If someone offers you something you dont want or feel you dont need to have, then just a simple "No thank you" will do...you dont need to explain anything...its that simple!
    "no thank you" doesn't work on parents...But what if i do want it ? I stay away from it because I know I'll eat it T_T. I say "no" 30x and even argue about not wanting the food...but in the end I lose, because its what my mom wants.... I'm just starting out my diet and my will power sucks anyways ( poor excuse I know)...it doesn't help to have family that practically "force" you to eat....What am I supposed to do when we sit at a restaurant and everyone has food but me? It makes me feel awkward and compelled to eat my favorite dishes Dx I guess I need to learn to ignore those things/feelings without paying $8.99 for a salad?
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My mom tries to control my diet -.-;; when I say no...she asks 30x then eats in front of me...if I say I want to lose weight she says I have to give up "Everything" that I love for it to work....I believe I can eat my favorite foods and lose weight just I won't pig out..its unrealistic to never have a bag of chips again. When I want to eat healthy or organic...she won't go to the store or brings back calorie packed snacks... >_>;; yes, dieting is hard in my house :<

Sounds like your mom has some serious food issues herself. She doesn't want you to get healthy? That is so odd. You are right, you don't have to give up everything you love. Just pick and chose what is important and moderation!
    Lol...my mom is always odd... >_>;;;
  • HopeK7117
    Options
    Most “normal” people will not intentionally sabotage your weight loss program. They might not know exactly what foods and exercises your plan consists of, so they do it out of ignorance. Some people don’t like change, so they unconsciously and subtly undermine your efforts, like saying, “A little bit of this won’t hurt. It’s bad to deprive yourself.” Some people are jealous because they need to lose weight, too, but they aren’t doing anything about it. Some people feel guilty because they know they should be dieting and exercising, but they feel like they can’t. Some people just don’t get it because they’ve never had a weight problem. Some people seem to think they are diet doctors, and whatever you are doing isn’t up to their standards. These are your everyday, run-of-the-mill saboteurs, who do eyeroll-inducing things like bring you a treat (“to celebrate!”) after you’ve lost a few pounds.

It is best to be gentle but firm with these people, and stand your ground. You can say, “This is how I eat. This is how I exercise. It’s working, so I’m going to keep at it,” and hand them back that piece of cake they sliced for you, with a “thankyouverymuch!” That usually works because people who really care about you will respect your boundaries, especially when you speak them out loud.

Then you have the intentional saboteurs, who thankfully are not common. These people don’t want you to succeed, and they will do anything to keep you from staying on your program. These kinds of people are about power, control, and humiliation. Unfortunately, sometimes these people are spouses or other people integral in the dieter’s world. If you have an intentional saboteur in your life, you either need to get rid of him/her or seek counseling to deal with it. These types of saboteurs will hammer slowly but steadily away at your resolve and your self-esteem. And people like us who have mental disorders are especially vulnerable to this kind of treatment.

I once made a friend based on the fact that we both have bipolar disorder. Now, usually this is a win-win situation because you can understand and support each other. However, it didn’t take long for me to realize she was a very troubled person. She did everything she could to knock me off track. When I dieted, she made fun of how I ate and told me I was doing it all wrong, even after I had the come to Jesus talk with her. When I gave up my diet, she said–I swear this is true– “Thank God!” She was mean and manipulative in other ways, also. Finally, I downloaded apps to block her phone calls and text messages. Buh-byeeeeeeeee saboteur!

The medicines I take for my bipolar disorder are at least partially to blame for my weight situation. If you are also in this boat, you should check out my blog, http://theskinnyonpsychmeds.com/ . I have done a lot of research on this project, and I am collecting tips and ideas from every angle and person I can find. Maintaining a healthy weight on atypical antipsychotics and other psych meds is vital because some of them are closely associated with becoming diabetic and other chronic diseases. It's bad enough to have one chronic disorder!