Frozen Healthy Dinners? Are they really healthy?

Options
124»

Replies

• MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you are pressed for time and it is a choice between a fast food burger and one of these meals, then I would definitely pop one of these in the microwave.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    If you haven't checked out the frozen "healthy" meal section in a while, it's worth a peek. It's easy to label-shop and pick the meals with higher protein and lower sodium. In fact, I just stocked up on some last night and didn't even have to look at the nutrition labels of all of them because the important nutrition info was given on the front of the package. I went with a few of the new Healthy Choice meals and a couple of Lean Cuisines (oldies but goodies). I also like to throw in a Kashi or Amy's to change it up.
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    As a person who has to watch their sodium, I don't eat them. Even if I didn't have issues with salt I wouldn't eat because the sodium content is just TOO high...smh.

It's sad because some of those meals do look tasty.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Healthy Choice has been working with Top Chef, and has some excellent new options. I have been eating Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine because portion control is an issue with me. I need to get a feel for what appropriate portions are. As long as you check the ingredients and find out what the sodium, fat, etc., is and make informed choices, you'll be fine. I add a big bowl of steamed broccoli or sliced tomatoes to one of these entrees for dinner.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Looks like the sodium angle has been covered. :happy:

My problem with them, besides the sodium, is they usually have a pretty lengthy list of additives and preservatives. Look at the ingredients labels - very often they're chock full with things like high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of chemicals you can't pronounce.

I still eat them once or twice a week, just for the convenience, but I'm trying to ease over to making my own lunches at the weekend for the week ahead from fresh and low sodium ingredients.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I agree about the sandwich thing - I had a sliced turkey wrap last night and it put me over the top sodium-wise; there was so much sodium in the wrap (why?) and the sliced turkey (again, why?) that it was worse than a frozen meal.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I eat one for lunch almost every work-day, and I rotate between SmartOnes, Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, and Amy's (vegetarian). I read the labels and choose the ones that fit in my plan. I plan on a snack 2 hours after - something like a hard-boiled egg or cheese stick with fruit.

For me it's a balance of money and time. Before I started bringing in these meals, we'd go out to eat and spend about $10-$15 every day - and I'd choose things with high fat, calories and sodium. So in comparison to what I used to do, these little lunches are FAR healthier.

I've lost 35 lbs so far - I attribute that mostly to the exercise I've been doing for the past 8 months. Maybe when I'm farther down the road (my total goal is to lose another 115 lbs), I'll start cooking and freezing more of my own, but I'm not there (mentally) yet.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    ohh Also.. The plastic containers the meals come in.. when you put that in the microwave it releases all the chemicals from the plastic... mmmmmm taste good.....
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    In general, they are healthier and less expensive than eating out. The other advantage is that they have a nutritional label, which makes keeping track of things a lot easier.

The majority of frozen meals are high in sodium, but not all of them. Some of the Healthy Choice selections, for example are low in sodium and Amy's has a low sodium line.

Of course, nothing beats making everything from scratch, assuming you have the skills, time and inclination.

Personally, my freezer is loaded with frozen meals, and it helps me stay on my diet because I always know that in 3-5 minutes I can have a low calorie, low sodium and somewhat balanced meal. Certainly better than running out for pizza or binging on fbread, fruits, nuts and cheese, etc.

-- James
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    I eat one every day I don't have leftovers. I usually pair it with a can of light soup and some fruit or veggies or greek yogurt and I'm full. I'm usually under 500 calories for lunch. If you look at the labels, not all of them have high sodium and I've found that Healthy Choice steamer meals are my favorite.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I buy them when they are on special....I do check the sodium but I have no worries there....I don't eat them everyday......

Regarding the plastic tray.....I don't put them in the microwave... There was one I bought and when I got home I realised that is was microwave only.....

Healthy Choice are the one I buy.....
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble finding time cooking during your work week, I'd suggest investing in a freezer and batch cooking from scratch on weekends. If you cook up soups, stews, curries, pasta dishes (whatever it is you're eating on your diet) and freeze into portions then you have something you can pop out, defrost and reheat without all the added nasties. I can pretty much guarantee it'll also be cheaper and tastier too.

I did that once (a few weeks ago) with stir-fry and it turns out wet when you re-heat it and yes, I waited until it was cool before freezing. Perhaps it works better with chili but unfortunately the 1-week batch of cooking means significant reduction in quality. You are better off pre-cutting/cleaning your veggie to save time then cooking everything nightly. Technically yes its cheaper, $2.50 ish for lots of veggies, a chicken breast and 2/3 cup brown rice when you compare it to Lean Cuisine which is about 1/2 the size at $1.97 each.

I think the trick with cooking ahead and freezing is choosing your recipe wisely - things like chilli, bolognaise sauce, lasagne, casseroles, meatballs, tuna patties etc freeze pretty well, whereas I wouldn't expect good results freezing a stirfry - the veggies would be soggy once frozen, thawed and reheated.

To the OP - I don't know, I havent eaten them for years. I think they can be a healthier (and cheaper) choice than eating many takeaway, but unlikely to be healthier or cheaper than home cooked (healthy) meals. If they fit into your calories and lifestyle then I wouldn't stress too much about it - while I tend to think that home cooked is almost always better, sometimes that's hard to do.