How has your weight journey effected your relationship?

Options
2»

Replies

• wiltka
    wiltka Posts: 7
    Options
    I have been in previous relationship where my dieting or calorie counting was an annoyance- and typically it was due to a problem from my boyfriend at the time. All the sudden my attention had shifted from them, to counting food, working out. I would have an honest conversation with your husband, and see how he feels that the changes you are making to your life, are affecting your life together. Be honest about the support you need, and how nice it would e to make some of these choices together, or in the least, be able to be honest and not feel as if your better choices are harming your relationship.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    he's really proud of my efforts and tells me regularly. He knows I've struggled with being overweight since I was a teen and he wants me to be happy and healthy. My choice to eat something or not eat something wouldn't stiffle our relationship in any way because he understands that it's a choice I need to make for our entire family. I'm so, so lucky!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The green monster (jealousy) has shown his ugly head a bit more than it used to and there have been some grumbles about lower fat/cal substitues at dinner but that's been minor. 99.9% of the time, he is super supportive of me. Everytime someone comes over that we haven't seen for a while, he fishes for compliments for me and is always bragging about me.

As far as dining out goes, we don't do that very often (3 or 4 times per year) so I usually splurge a bit anyway and don't fuss too much over the calories. I'll try to make the best choice I can but if I go over, I go over. No biggee. We do get take-out at least once a week but I try to plan for it so I've got plenty of calories or at least come as close to goal as I can.

ETA: just remember - his only REAL complaint is about the loss of "the twins". LOL!
  • Itsmytime79
    Itsmytime79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is supportive and has dropped two pants sizes just from the diet changes we have made. He tells me how good I look and lets me pick my favorite restaurants. He also keeps an eye on my son so I can go to the gym. He is super supportive and I couldnt be this successful without him! In return I support his endeavors also.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    We have a good thing already but we have grown even closer. Working out together makes every calorie burned that much bigger cuz we did it together. Not to mention there is something sexy about sweatin' together & then hittin' the shower together. We enjoy meal planning, grocery shopping, even weighing in. This is something we are doing just for ourselves and each other.
  • 20lbsorless
    Options
    i sometimes feel moody as i'm in my first week and it does make eating together difficult but now hes come on board to lose some weight and i have to deal with his moods. i hope once we get use to the diet change things will get better.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I think it has made us stronger. My boyfrined loves to ride bikes with me and hike. As far as the eating goes, we build the weekly meal plan together as a family so we all have food through out the week that we enjoy eating and then go out to eat on Friday which is my cheat day.

The only issue I do have is the snacking that my kids and boyfriend do. They are always eating my favorite foods so they try to do their snacking while I'm at work or at the gym so I don't see it and hide it in the back of the frige.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Honestly our relationship has been better since I started this. I don't really "force" him to eat healthy but I cook so he has to deal with healthier choices, he just eats more than me. But on the weekends we go for a walk with our son and really get into some conversations that I don't know we would have otherwise <3
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    hmmm....no change at all. It is the same as it ever was.
    We have been together for 16 years. We are as tight as tight can be.
    I cook all of our families meals, so I don't really make them eat stuff I wouldn't. I just use portion control and keep and eye on my calories.
    My guy needs to lower his cholesterol so I did make him stop buying cookies and potato chips. Neither of which I particularly cared for anyway. But he is cool with it. Plus the kids didn't need that stuff.
    My downfall was soda and chocolate.
    But, anyway. No, I would have to say that my journeys have not affected our relationship in any way.
    Maybe when I get thinner, he will be mauling me more? I don't know lol.
  • ngmh96
    ngmh96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both recently started this weight loss journey. And he supports my weight loss & going to the gym. But not the calorie counting as with my myfitnesspal diary. WHAT?

He thinks I concentrate to much on counting every little thing. And, maybe I am a little obsessive. But, if I don't know exactly what I am putting in my mouth, how am I going to change? And, I am changing! I had a piece of birthday cake that I logged. It was my 5yr old's birthday. And I almost freaked! I couldn't believe that I was eating the many calories in a small piece of cake!

Long story, short. I am hopeful that things with get better with the journey. As we both continue to lose weight on the same journey. I won't obsess, if he won't be so critical.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    We've been together seven years. When I was 40lbs heavier, he told me I was beautiful just as often as he does today. He doesn't get into specifics and I don't ask him to be a cheerleader for me, but I'm incredibly lucky that I have someone who loves me regardless of my weight.

this...
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i was single when i started, still single now, and still don't want a boyfriend at the moment because i need to love my self first :laugh:
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My partner and I are having fun with it. Our food hasn't changed much, and we haven't stopped enjoying our dinners either. I made a big pot of vegetable soup for lunches this week (75 calories a serving) and he can't stop raving about how good it is. It's also cute to see him using a teaspoon to measure out olive oil for our omelets. :)

He needed to lose 10 pounds... And has.