Anyone else love hiking?

Options

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I love hiking, and since we live in the desert SW we are able to do it year-round. We hit the trails at Red Rock Canyon, just outside Las Vegas, every Saturday. This past weekend we hiked about 9.5 miles and saw a herd of bighorn sheep just off the trail...absolutely beautiful! We hope to start visiting some of the national parks in this area for camping/hiking weekends starting next month. Can't wait! :bigsmile:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Colorado is an amazing place for hiking, and I love it!

AGREE!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Stephaniebingletastic
    Options
    I love hikng! I live in the UK about an hour away from the English Lake District, so I am spoiled and go there often! I am going to Snowdonia in Wales later in Spring with my boyfriend to climb Mt Snowdon. My Scarpa boots are my best friends. A massive calorie burn too. Great views make climbing 3000ft worth while too. I use walking poles too which help me particularly going downhill as I have knee problems. Nothing stops me and my competative streak ha ha.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite activity.... I mostly do it on my own, which is fine enough... its just a great way to get away for a couple hours....
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I do! I do!

The only problem is, I can never find anyone to hike with me, and the trails around here really shouldn't be hiked alone. :sad:

I'm really looking forward to this summer though-- I've convinced some family to all rough it in the woods for a weekend, deep in the brush with a crazy hike to get to the camp site.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yes! We had an glorious sunny day yesterday, so we out for a 7 hour hike in the Peak District (the oldest national park in the UK) - it was awesome! And I don't even ache today, that's a NSV if ever I saw one...

Here's a little glimpse of our lovely countryside (if it works?):

Edit: Nope, can't work it out :grumble:

OK, one more go?

110_0372.jpg

YAY! :bigsmile:

Beautiful picture. You may not have the high Mountains but hiking and seeing all the beauty is awesome. I love to hike. My husband and I have been doing it all of our life. We have done most of our hiking in the Eastern Sierra. We now live in Reno and because of arthritis in his hips he can't go hiking anymore. We lived in Bishop, Ca. and did a lot of hiking there. Convict Lake Wilderness area, Rock Creek Lake and Little Lakes Valley area. TAlso in the White Mountains. Camping fishing and hiking. Then when we moved to Susanville, Ca., we did a lot of hiking outside of the Lake Tahoe Rim area. Now I still get to hike in the Mountains outside of Reno but unfortunately my husband can't do it anymore so I go with friends and we stick to the Red Rock area outside of Reno. I still love it and do as much as I am able. Something about the feeling you get, I guess all the oxygen, and just being high and looking out over everything. Awesome.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I get bored as hell just walking but put me in the woods and before I know it, it's 4 hours later!
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to go hiking again. We've just started planning a trip up to the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Sometimes in the next few years I'm really hoping we can take the kids up to Isle Royal in Lake Superior. We haven't done that since before we had kids.

Love the U.P.! We've been to Isle Royale multiple times. LOVE IT! Not sure I'll ever hike it again due to a bad knee but I have wonderful memories doing the trail up to Mount Franklin. I may go up there again with the Kayaks.

I'm in the NW Lower Peninsula of Michigan. Plenty of hiking in my backyard! Hoping to do more this season!
  • samantha1953
    Options
    It's funny, I get bored as hell just walking but put me in the woods and before I know it, it's 4 hours later!

A girl after my own heart!
  • PatrietteAz
    Options
    I LOVE hiking and am moving to CO in just under 2 weeks. Can't wait for a change in scenery and to hike those peaks!

The wildflower season in Tucson has been amazing this year.
  • samantha1953
    Options
    Love it! I go out hiking almost every day. I live in Virginia, right along the border of Shenandoah National Park. :-)

Beautiful area! I used to go to training a few times a year in the Leesburg Area. I would take my bike out to the Washington and Old Dominion Trail west of Leesburg and ride every evening.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options

I think I'm lucky. My family always went camping and hiking when I was younger so I think it's just part of who I am now!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

I think I'm lucky. My family always went camping and hiking when I was younger so I think it's just part of who I am now!

That is me exactly, I was raised hiking and camping and fishing, can't imagine life without them.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    <
    I love hiking with my dog! I live in the SF bay area and there are a lot of great hiking spots here. My favorite is a place called Garin which allows dogs to be off-leash on the trails!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    yes, yes, yes!!!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    <
    I love hiking with my dog! I live in the SF bay area and there are a lot of great hiking spots here. My favorite is a place called Garin which allows dogs to be off-leash on the trails!

Aw! Cute dog!
  • p_barron
    p_barron Posts: 63
    Options
    I am trying to go backpacking about every other week. I'm in Hendersonville, NC
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I love to spend my weekends hiking. I swear if you told me I had to go run on the street for 2 hours I'd say you're crazy. But give me a trail and my dogs and I'll run the trails all day! Are you near Great Falls/Billy Goat trail? We wave to you Marylanders from the Virginia side!
  • hikingchick
    Options
    I love love love hiking!!!! Hence my sign-in name! :wink:

I started hiking in September & have lost over 30lbs so far! Hiking is not only great exercise but it leaves me feeling refreshed, refueled & stress-free. I hike 4-5 times a week, doing shorter 60/70 hikes during the week and longer 90/120 min hikes on wknds. I found a great hiking group on facebook and have met some fantastic, supportive friends in my area who I hike with regularly now. I’ve even started organizing FB activities to introduce others to the wonderful world of local hikes thru the kind help of some of the group.

Daylight savings time is a definite plus for those of us who love to hike. Happy trails!
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love hiking too. I like to wear my headphones. I am always careful where I go because I don't want to get attacked. We have several stories in our area over the last 10 years of women being hurt by crazy, losers. Such is the situation in today's world.

Sorry, don't mean to be a bummer. Just be aware!