Low Reps; Heavy Weights

Options
Zichu
Zichu Posts: 542 Member
Hey, I have just started weight training today. I have a routine I am going to follow for each day, but they recommend doing like 12 reps and 4 sets. I've read that in order to increase muscle mass and strength you need to do low reps with heavier weights.

I'm always reading about doing 5x5 so I have been trying and some of the workouts I am doing just don't seem like the weights are heavy enough. I only have a set of dumbbells at the moment, I will get a barbell which will allow me to put more weights on.

The weights I am currently using come with a total of 18kg, considering I don't do a lot of strength training I thought this would be enough. Some workouts I can use the full amount of weight, but others I can barely lift it like during the Dumbbell Flys. So I take off the smallest weight on each Dumbbell, but then it seems like it's too light and doing 5 reps is too easy lol.

Just wondering if 5 reps and 5 sets are really the way to go or should I be looking at getting a few more weight plates and finding the correct weight to lift. I took off 2 0.5kg weight plates off both dumbbells and it felt like it was average, didn't feel like were to hard or to easy to lift. I don't have a bench yet either, I don't have enough money for one till later this month sadly... Maybe if I were to get a bench the workouts would seem a bit more difficult than they am now because at the moment I am unable to fully stretch my arms out and do the full workout.

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Amburglar
    Amburglar Posts: 32
    Options
    I typically go for a higher weight and stick to 6-10 reps unless I'm doing a burnout session. They I'll consistently work up in weight with every set and down in reps. I workout with my husband and we pretty much follow the same regimen. My max bench has gone from 65lb to 115lb and max squat has gone from 45lb (yes, just the bar, lol) to 135lb, so it definitely works If your main goal is to "get big" then high weight low reps is the way to go, and keep the protein flowing.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If it feels to light then yes, you should be lifting heavier.
  • ravihira1892
    Options
    I my self have done quite a bit of research and i shall be doing the StrongLifts 5x5 workout myself purely for increase in lean muscle mass & strength! When your doing high reps your targeting different fibres compared to low reps!
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    If it feels to light then yes, you should be lifting heavier.

I dunno Rock, I'm looking at your picture and it doesn't look like you know what you are talking about. LOL!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like you probably need heavier weights if you're trying to bulk up.

I do lighter weights and higher reps, for lean muscle building.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    5x5 is a great strength program, but if you looking to add some mass, you're better off doing 8-12 reps for muscle hyertrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DanStone
    DanStone Posts: 18
    Options
    Invest in some more weights, do 6-8reps with the heaviest weight possible you can complete a full repetitions ( the last two you should struggle), do four sets of this. Then drop down to the next weight maybe 2.5kg-5kg less and do as many repetitions as you can for the 5set. Hope this helps :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Invest in some more weights, do 6-8reps with the heaviest weight possible you can complete a full repetitions ( the last two you should struggle), do four sets of this. Then drop down to the next weight maybe 2.5kg-5kg less and do as many repetitions as you can for the 5set. Hope this helps :)
    This is how I lift. Doing 10-12 reps is fine if you want to build endurance instead of bulk strength. Think of strength as lifting the heaviest suitcase you can. Endurance think a 1/2 as heavy suitcase carried around the room.
    Also, I may add to make sure you have enough protein. Generally for strength building it should be between .50-.75 x body weight.(those who know better on this please correct me if I am wrong and thanks). All I know is that I did 10-15 reps all the time with lighter weights I stalled. Since adding protein, eating more calories and lifting heavy with lower reps, I have soared. Bulking up nicely now.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    5x5 is a great strength program, but if you looking to add some mass, you're better off doing 8-12 reps for muscle hyertrophy.

IDEA Fitness member

this. i've been doing the 5x5 for a while now. Havent really gained much mass. But my strenghth has increased quite a bit.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have just started weight training today. I have a routine I am going to follow for each day, but they recommend doing like 12 reps and 4 sets. I've read that in order to increase muscle mass and strength you need to do low reps with heavier weights.

I'm always reading about doing 5x5 so I have been trying and some of the workouts I am doing just don't seem like the weights are heavy enough. I only have a set of dumbbells at the moment, I will get a barbell which will allow me to put more weights on.

The weights I am currently using come with a total of 18kg, considering I don't do a lot of strength training I thought this would be enough. Some workouts I can use the full amount of weight, but others I can barely lift it like during the Dumbbell Flys. So I take off the smallest weight on each Dumbbell, but then it seems like it's too light and doing 5 reps is too easy lol.

Just wondering if 5 reps and 5 sets are really the way to go or should I be looking at getting a few more weight plates and finding the correct weight to lift. I took off 2 0.5kg weight plates off both dumbbells and it felt like it was average, didn't feel like were to hard or to easy to lift. I don't have a bench yet either, I don't have enough money for one till later this month sadly... Maybe if I were to get a bench the workouts would seem a bit more difficult than they am now because at the moment I am unable to fully stretch my arms out and do the full workout.

Really, you need a mix of both. The 5x5 isn't a bad program, or download 5/3/1 from jimwendler.com, or go read Westside for Skinny *kitten* 1 or 3. Westside 4SB's is basically geared towards athletes and isn't really the full-on Westside with chains and stuff, it's a simple template to follow.

With 5/3/1 and WS4SB's you'll notice that you have the maximal strength movement days but you'll also be doing hypertrophy work, good mix.
  • ravihira1892
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

this. i've been doing the 5x5 for a while now. Havent really gained much mass. But my strenghth has increased quite a bit.

Surely if you've gained strength, you have increase your muscle mass in order to lift more?!
  • JNick77
    Options
    One thing that nobody really hit on is diet. Yup, get protein but you also need excessive calories to do mass right. Check out Massive Eating by Dr. John Berardi; I believe he has a calorie calculator too.
  • JNick77
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Surely if you've gained strength, you have increase your muscle mass in order to lift more?!

Hypertrophy gains from strength gains isn't really the same as raw mass gains of like a bodybuilder.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like you probably need heavier weights if you're trying to bulk up.

I do lighter weights and higher reps, for lean muscle building.

FAIL!!!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Low reps with high weights builds bulk, high reps with low weights build physique.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Have coached a high school power lifting team...
    My advice is to start with endurance lifting of 12-14 reps at about 60-75% of your maximum lift (you are going to need bigger weights). Do 4 weeks of this. Then switch to a pyramid to build strength. (pyramid is starting at 10 then 8 then 6 then 4 then 2 reps--and if you are truly adventurous back out again). The pyramid should be 55%, 65%, 75%, 85% and 95% respectively. Once I month I had the kids do two lifts to exhaustion (bench and squat). With these lifts the girls would use the bar for bench and 135 for squats and the boys would use 50% of their max.( If you attempt this, make sure you have a spotter! This literally means lifting that weight until you can not move it again. AND make sure you give yourself 2 days recovery) You shouldn't be lifting any body part more than twice a week to allow for growth and repair. You can pyramid for 4 weeks and then go back to endurance for a week...keep rotating. I started with endurance so that the kids were using lower weight working on form, and because many of them wanted to lift by themselves...training in endurance lifting first allows you to complete more reps with better form at a higher weight. Good luck!
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    Might find this helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_overload

I change it up though. 3x15 for 3 weeks, 4x10 for 3 weeks, 5x5 for 3 weeks etc.