Doctor's advise please!

Options
13»

Replies

• Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

This is on the bottom of this page. Please don't hesitate to have yourself checked out.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, lemme say that first!

I'm a pediatric nurse and we get a lot of kids with large lumps in the neck area. Sometimes they are lymph nodes, but lymph nodes should NOT be painful.

Are they red? without looking at it, it sounds like its probably an infection/abcess. It is uncomfortable but fine to wait until tomorrow. DO NOT try to pop them at home, as sometimes that actually causes it to get worse if not done properly.

Go to the ER tonight if you start running a fever. Otherwise, your doc can fix you up tomorrow :)

Let us know how it goes and what your doctor says!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I agree, likely lymph nodes - remember when you were a kid and the doctor would always manhandle your head and feel your neck? that's why - but book your appointment anyway just in case. You have those nodes all over your body and *usually* the ones in your neck and your groin area are not a major concern when they swell up. (The ones along your collar bone, different story.) I've got a couple that are prone to flare-ups for no obvious reason, then bam a week later I'll have some kind of a bug.

In the meantime, take some Advil or Motrin, sip on some hot tea, and take a nap. A warm compress can help relieve the swelling and irritation a bit, as can VERY VERY gentle massage to the area.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I dare not look online as I will probably come away thinking I have an obscure untreatable disease and not sleep tonight!
    Curious...where exactly do you think we are?
    I'm in Oz... aren't you?
    If this is Oz, I get to be a witch.

OOOOH goody, we have a wicked witch in here.
    Can I be a flying monkey?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Doctor but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night....

Lymphoma?
    Do you have any other symptoms? Fever, sudden weight loss, night sweats, chills, lack of energy...etc
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Do you feel that your life is in danger? And not being able to sleep because you are worried is not danger.
    If not, DO NOT GO TO THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. Go to an Urgent Care Center or walk in clinic. They are well suited for this type of thing. Actually, you will likely be seen faster than if you were to go to an ED. Emergency Departments today are fast becoming the source of people's primary care. They are not designed for this. They are designed for the rapid assessment and treatment of emergent health situations and trauma. (Think Heart attack, Stroke, Gunshot wounds and other traumas.)
    Emergency departments are designed for life threatening emergencies. Yes, you can go to an ED and get checked out, but you will be billed several hundred dollars for it, and possibly wait several hours. Or you can go to an Urgent Care and likely be done in an hour or less.

I do hope you feel better soon.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm in Oz... aren't you?
    Absolutely...someone else requested, too. Always room for more flying monkeys!
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Do you feel that your life is in danger? And not being able to sleep because you are worried is not danger.
    If not, DO NOT GO TO THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. Go to an Urgent Care Center or walk in clinic. They are well suited for this type of thing. Actually, you will likely be seen faster than if you were to go to an ED. Emergency Departments today are fast becoming the source of people's primary care. They are not designed for this. They are designed for the rapid assessment and treatment of emergent health situations and trauma. (Think Heart attack, Stroke, Gunshot wounds and other traumas.)
    Emergency departments are designed for life threatening emergencies. Yes, you can go to an ED and get checked out, but you will be billed several hundred dollars for it, and possibly wait several hours. Or you can go to an Urgent Care and likely be done in an hour or less.

I do hope you feel better soon.

This^^^^^^^

I live in the middle of nowhere and we don't have urgent care anywhere close by. However, I'd make the hour drive instead of going to an ER for a non-emergency. But if the pain is unbearable....the headaches dibilitating....Yes! Go to the ER now!
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It still sounds like cyst to me.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I agree - lymph nodes. They can get pretty swollen and painful if you are fighting off a virus or something.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I dare not look online as I will probably come away thinking I have an obscure untreatable disease and not sleep tonight!
    Curious...where exactly do you think we are?
    I'm in Oz... aren't you?

Now now....there was a good witch and an evil witch...I prefer to be evil. :devil:
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    I'm in Oz... aren't you?
    Absolutely...someone else requested, too. Always room for more flying monkeys!

I would like to be the broom. Now, that was the true star of the show!!
  • onale039
    onale039 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have them all the time...sometimes they feel like golf balls. My son gets them too - even in the back of his neck. They are lymph nodes. I also get headaches and a lot of neck pain but my neck pain is very stress related...as are the headaches. (but all feel connected) When the lymph nodes swell, they can be very sore, especially if you push on them.
    I use a Chinese balm on my neck all the time and it helps for that as well (like tiger balm) You can also try wrapping a warm towel around your neck and just relaxing. (put a damp towel in the microwave for a minutes but be very careful...all nukers are different so don't steam burn yourself!)
    It helps.