How do I get over the fear of running in the real world in f

Options
13»

Replies

• Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Sweat, but don't sweat it. :) My brother is a super skinny runner who hates running during the day because he thinks he runs weird. But the truth is, most people out doing their stuff are really just thinking about doing their stuff, and most people admire runners of all shapes and speeds (though I have been told by lame teenagers that I was running slow, once) but in the end it's about you and not about them, and running is just so amazing. :)
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    When I see people outside running I am thinking "Cool, another runner to say good morning to" Running in the morning is best because everyone is happy. How can your day be bad if everyone is saying good morning to you?
    True fact. :)
  • chelsey202
    chelsey202 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am very impressed when I see overweight people jogging. Good for them! Inspires me even more!

^^ this

And I have to disagree with the people saying to run early in the morning or late at night. Be PROUD of yourself! or run with pepper spray on the offchance someone does stop to say something mean ;)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Run while the snarky teenagers are in school. :)

That's what I tought the othe day, when I ran into an entire gym class out running the same trail as me! At least I was in a little better a shape than 2 or 3 of them :tongue:

I was self conscious too at first. Bu I find the runners don't care, and I don't care about non-runners - at least I am doing something!
    One word of advice though: don't run past dogs :wink: many of them just can't help but try and chase you.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The sooner you learn not to give a **** about what other people think about you, the happier you'll be. People are *kitten* - even if you were skinny as a rail and running like a winged goddess there'd be some **** munch saying something stupid....
  • DanTheRunningMan
    Options
    I am very impressed when I see overweight people jogging. Good for them! Inspires me even more!

Indeed. I don't speak for all runners, but if most runners were to be judgmental about someone, they'd go off on the folks at home on the couch watching TV, not someone who laces up their shoes and gets their butt out the door to try to accomplish something. The fast runners will whiz by and don't care about you. The middle of the pack gang will enjoy passing someone (and a surprising number will say hello on their way by). The slow ones are in the same boat as the rest of us. Don't sweat it.

It happens-- some jerk may say something mean. Be ready if it happens, but don't let it dissuade you. Those events are, thankfully, rare. Mostly you'll be invisible, but the way you'll learn to look at yourself will make it all worthwhile.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The running community is by far a very supportive group! I have experienced that at nearly every race I have ever run--from 5K to 10K to half-mary--the first ones to finish are usually the first ones to stand at the finish line and cheer you on to completion. Many even run back up the course to run beside and help encourage the slower runners on to finish strong.

Just remember that every runner who is now "experienced" started from scratch much like you are doing now! Take pride in the fact that you are doing something positive for your health and well-being!!! IMO all the haters are just jealous of your motivation to hit the pavement!
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I promised myself today that I would not spend more time getting dressed for walking/running than I did actually going out and doing it. Remember everyone out there is concerned with themselves, and if they have time to look at and focus on what you are wearing or doing then they are not working hard enough on their own thing.

Ever watch Friends? Run like Phoebe! It's freeing.

tumblr_lz97fkJYPB1r1v7uv.gif
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Step one- Go to biker bar.
    Step two- Find angry biker.
    Step three- Slap biker.
    Enjoy!
    ^^^

We have a winner! :laugh:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Lol. When I actually get good at running it will be better. I just feel really self conscious now. All these people out there running who are in really good shape and can run miles and miles and then there's me, running for 60 seconds at a time makes me want to pass out. Lol. Oh well. At least I'm doing it.
  • RunningMama1276
    RunningMama1276 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Go to a school and use the track in the eve before dusk but after the teens are done

I was going to say this same thing. Start on a track...I have been back into running for a couple years now and many times feel like a bafoon. I feel like I run very heavy on my feet and look lopey. But hey...I'm doing it. : ) And I second all the comments about the waves, thumbs up, etc. You will get acknowledgement from other people who are (whether they are running or walking). And for those that are walking, I tell myself "they are probably thinking 'wow! I wish I could do that". : ) Go for it!
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Thank you for this thread! I ran outside for the first time this past weekend and I was totally self conscious myself, but once I got going and found my groove I forgot about the rest of the world. Ended up running just about 3 miles with only walking for 1 minute half way through. I did have to wear a baseball cap. It made me feel like no one would recognize me. Now I need to find some nice outdoor running gear, this will be part of my life now :)