Ever feel like you're getting addicted to exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    id say healthy addiction. it just feels odd if im not doing something now. granted we all need a rest day to let our body rest, i just feel out of whack a bit if i dont do anything. my rest day is pretty much just a mile run and some stretching.
    but like its been said earlier if this is my only "addiction" well then im in good shape! <-- truth right there.

such a great feeling after <3
  • tjortegon
    tjortegon Posts: 26
    Options
    I guess it depends on your use of the word "addiction." Used lightly, "oh, I'm addicted to exercise," and yeah, to most people it's probably not a big deal. But if TRULY addicted to exercise, then, yes, it could potentially be a problem. I think that's what love4fitness was referring to. Even something that is fundamentally healthy, when taken to EXTREMES, can become detrimental. That is why there is such a thing as compulsive exercise.

"Compulsive exercise (also called obligatory exercise and anorexia athletica) is best defined by an exercise addict's frame of mind: He or she no longer chooses to exercise but feels compelled to do so and struggles with guilt and anxiety if he or she doesn't work out. Injury, illness, an outing with friends, bad weather — none of these will deter those who compulsively exercise." (source: kidshealth.org)

I don't think it was meant to be a downer or anything. Just pointing out that there is actually potential for true addiction. People with histories of an eating disorder, for example, may be prone to that kind of thing.

That said, I don't think it will ever be my particular issue...addicted to chocolate, more likely.

I can run a 5k and still feel the need for more... I never thought of it as Compulsive exercise but I think you could be right... I don't struggle with guilt but I do get anxious if I don't work out.. I have an injury at the moment and I'm still at the gym working out parts of my body that are functioning.. hmmmm.. Not to mention I ran 4 miles in the rain a few weeks ago... oh $%&!!!
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, positively, most certainly NOT. *sigh* I wish i was. Maybe someday I will be.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your use of the word "addiction." Used lightly, "oh, I'm addicted to exercise," and yeah, to most people it's probably not a big deal. But if TRULY addicted to exercise, then, yes, it could potentially be a problem. I think that's what love4fitness was referring to. Even something that is fundamentally healthy, when taken to EXTREMES, can become detrimental. That is why there is such a thing as compulsive exercise.

"Compulsive exercise (also called obligatory exercise and anorexia athletica) is best defined by an exercise addict's frame of mind: He or she no longer chooses to exercise but feels compelled to do so and struggles with guilt and anxiety if he or she doesn't work out. Injury, illness, an outing with friends, bad weather — none of these will deter those who compulsively exercise." (source: kidshealth.org)

I don't think it was meant to be a downer or anything. Just pointing out that there is actually potential for true addiction. People with histories of an eating disorder, for example, may be prone to that kind of thing.

That said, I don't think it will ever be my particular issue...addicted to chocolate, more likely.

I can run a 5k and still feel the need for more... I never thought of it as Compulsive exercise but I think you could be right... I don't struggle with guilt but I do get anxious if I don't work out.. I have an injury at the moment and I'm still at the gym working out parts of my body that are functioning.. hmmmm.. Not to mention I ran 4 miles in the rain a few weeks ago... oh $%&!!!

Well, don't overreact, it's just something to be aware of. Running in the rain isn't necessarily extreme. Running in a thunderstorm when you have an injury but you just HAVE to do a certain number of miles or you can't live with yourself...that's something else. If you were really worried you're overdoing it, talk to someone you trust about it.
  • tjortegon
    tjortegon Posts: 26
    Options

Well, don't overreact, it's just something to be aware of. Running in the rain isn't necessarily extreme. Running in a thunderstorm when you have an injury but you just HAVE to do a certain number of miles or you can't live with yourself...that's something else. If you were really worried you're overdoing it, talk to someone you trust about it.

I"m not worried about it.. I just love doing it.... I think I'll survive.. Thanks!! :)
  • anna_love
    anna_love Posts: 177
    Options
    :love: Hahahaha omg Yesss !! I know Im Getting addicted to exercising !! I have to work out everyday 7 days a week or I feel like I'm going to go crazy at home !!! It don't whatever if it at the gym or outside for a walk but it's a MUST !! And if it's raining or snowing I do
    My dance work out using the wii !!! Even my boyfriend told me all I think about is working out !! :love:

I was never like this but now I'm and I'm. Happyier !!
    I have 3 kids ages ,5,3,1 and I take them with me everywhere and when i walk out side i take them so they can had fun To !!(:
    And at the. Gym they watch them there for 2 hours while I'm exercising (:
    (((((( OnLy For 2 hours a Day )))) I don't feel anything with that it's healthy
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I wish I could just start to ENJOY exercising. I do it because I know I need to. I am not to the point where I do it because of how it makes me feel, although that is what I'd like to happen. I need to cover up the clock on my treadmill so that I stop counting down to when I can stop. Need a mentality change!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I definitely am getting adicted to it. I get home from the gym and I am ready to go again. My body says no but my mind is ready for more. I like this feeling so I am not complaining. ;)
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Slowly getting addicted...had the flu a few weeks back and was really upset that I couldn't make it to the gym. When you're training for a 5K even one missed run day really has a bad effect on the body!
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This was obviously not a literal question yeesh