40+Club-Making it Work

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's me!! Do you remember me??? I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I have good news and bad news!!! The bad news first...

I am soooo sorry but I am afraid I am not treating everyone to a trip to Europe. I did not make any money in Vegas at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grumble: :grumble: (I really didnt gamble much).

The good news...

Sing, you don't have to dress up like a woman and wear lipstick to go with the girls to Europe :laugh: :laugh:
    And I had a wonderful time with my husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now back to business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a really good workout this morning. Back to eating healthy and monitoring. I feel great!!

Everyone is doing great!!! Happy travels to those who are going away for Memorial Day. Happy Birthday to Stiring and Kelligirl!!!! :drinker: Any other birthdays this month? TexasMom, I hope you get better soon. Swiss, how are you doing? Had your surgery again? :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Alf, we're glad to have you back (lighter in the wallet) :grumble:

Too bad, though...I already bought a cute mini to show off my (hairy) legs & arms!!! :laugh:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Welcome back alf... Glad you had a good time in Vegas.:happy:

I weighed myself today and unfortunately I am exactly the same. This week I'm gonna concentrate on what I put in my mouth not just the calorie count and see if that makes a difference. If not. I dont know what else to do. :grumble:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome back alf.. I have never been to Vegas. So it all stayed there?:laugh: I had my surgery on Monday. Some things are better now but some things stayed the same.

:flowerforyou: tron..I weighed myself also. Fortunately I also am exactly the same.:happy: Hey, I am used to going up a pound or two every week.

I am down to only six pounds to go to reach my next goal. This will be the second goal I have met. I may, depending on how I feel and look, go for another five pounds.
  • tron3002
    Options
    Swiss... I just want to get back down to 115, 105 is my goal though. I am getting frustrated with it taking so darn long. Yes, I feel stronger. But heck, I want this darn weight off NOW..... :grumble:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Alf, we're glad to have you back (lighter in the wallet) :grumble:

Too bad, though...I already bought a cute mini to show off my (hairy) legs & arms!!! :laugh:

Sing............ you just burned an image in my brain that I don't want there!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Alf.......... too bad you didn't win!:brokenheart: :brokenheart: I was really looking forward to that trip to Europe! :laugh:

Everyone................enjoy the long weekend and remember the reason why we have it - to honor all of those who have fallen in defense of our wonderful country and our loved ones who are no longer with us!! :cry: :brokenheart: :heart: If you know or see a military servicemember, a veteran, and/or family members and spouses of those who serve our country, be sure to thank them!!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    mkwood..thank you for reminding us what this Monday is all about. We are so wrapped up in our travels and grilling steaks that we have forgotten the true meaning. Wait....doesn't this sound like what has happened to Christmas? What is happening to this country?
  • phetzgetfit
    phetzgetfit Posts: 89
    Options
    weighed in this morning at 157 still. that's good news: no gain. busy, busy time for me so i'm havng to eat out and on the run more than i'd like. Have been able to make some pretty good choices though.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I am starting the day off in a bad way. My husband made me his famous Strawberry-stuffed French Toast. Actually, the worse part of it is that he used white bread. My goodness, who eats white bread anymore. They tasted great and were almost 450 calories. I will be careful for the rest of the day and will give my husband extra hugs.
  • bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this site also. I have been keeping quite busy reading all the posts. I'm 47 and I started my diet a week ago. I have been doing the Atkins it seems like forever and I know I can't do that diet and watch my calories too. So I'm taking a new approach since I havent' lost any weight on that diet in months. I live in Houston and I'm going to Montana for the 4th of July. I want to lose 25 lbs., but I'm sure it won't happen before then. I'm having a hard time meeting the calorie requirements as well as all those carbs I'm supposed to be eating. I am brisk walking at 4.0 mph for 45 minutes every day. I'm hoping that I can find some support here :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Welcome Cheryl.:flowerforyou: I am sure that you will enjoy this site and this thread. I don't think it is possible to lose 25 pounds by the 4th of July. If I were, I would try for it myself.:smile:
  • Maria061
    Maria061 Posts: 118
    Options
    Happy Birthday girls, mine was Friday may 22.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello!! Well, I had to go for plan B today when I drove 30 minutes to get to a Zumba class and it was cancelled. :grumble: :grumble: So I drove another 20 mins to a military gym to do some cardio. I circuit trained with three different machines for an hr, burned 527 calories!! :noway:

Cheryl, welcome!! Those strict diets never work, only temporarily. Carbs are essential and low carb diets can be dangerous. I do have a few suggestions but I need to go now. I will write more when I come back. Not so sure about losing 25lbs by 4th of July but you can definitely drop at least half of that and lose inches and feel great about yourself. More later...

Take care!! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Cheryl, these are my suggestions:

1. Try to vary your workouts, don't do the same thing every day. Your body gets used to the same routine and you will stop seeing results. Do interval training. During your walk, try to increase your speed or your distance, one thing at a time. Try to do some cycling or an aerobics class, change it up some. Also do weight training!!!

2. Eat clean most of the time. Eat lean meats, veggies, fruit, beans, etc. Avoid high sodium foods, high saturated foods. As far as carbs, whole grain, whole wheat...

3. Drink lots of water!!!!! :drinker: :drinker:

4. If there is something that you eat or drink now that you KNOW it is not good for you, cut back or eliminate it completely until you reach your goal.

5. Don't go below 1200 cals a day and if you are exercising definitely eat all or at least most of your exercise calories.

I am no expert but these are my suggestions based on my research and what has worked for me. There are only 6 wks left until July 4th. If you lose 2lbs a week that will be about 12lbs (half of your goal), not bad!!! At least a 10lbs loss can make a huge difference. 6 wks is not a long time, you can make these changes and see what happens. I am sure others will have more suggestions for you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy belated birthday Maria.

:flowerforyou: Alf...excellent advice. The only thing that I could add is what I am doing now..I have upped my protein. Mainly by using whey protein powder. I love it and I think it is making a difference.
  • tron3002
    Options
    Alf... Excellent advice. I think I will have to print it out and put it on the refrigerator. :wink: But as hard as I am working out I just cant get the scale to budge. :grumble: I know about eating "clean" and I try to BUT my pantry still has a lot of canned veggies, rice a roni, mac n cheese, things of that nature. And even though I am not cooking with those things all the time I do still use them. I'm just not replacing them when they are gone. Food is too expensive and money is too tight to throw anything away. My daughter came over the other day and said.... You dont have any thing to nibble on (chips, cookies) Every thing you have you have to cook. I just said, wait til my pantry gets cleared up and all's I have is organic stuff :smile:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: tron, we just have to set the example for our kids. I have the same problem with mine. They go "yuck, where's the white bread?" So hard to re-train them. I had some of their white bread yesterday...it was sickening. Horrible, white, pastie stuff !!! I can't see why they like it.

I had a bad day yesterday with my husband doing the cooking. I am back on track today. For breakfast I made us my version of Egg McMuffins. I even added it to my food log as "Becky's Egg Mcmuffin". My husband was made like mine except that I used reduced fat cheese on mine and regular on his. We are planning to go to the YMCA today. I will be working out while he relaxes in the sauna. He may work a bit but has to be careful due to his torn shoulder. We will be able to do this because WE HAVE NO CHILDREN AT HOME AT THIS TIME. They will be back be 4:00. I can't remember that last time that there wasn't someone under the age of 18 here.
  • tron3002
    Options
    Swiss... Kids are funny, but mine are getting much better at the changes I have made so far. As far as the bread, they dont even think about the white stuff anymore. It also helps that I only have one left in the house too...:wink:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Tron, what kind of workouts are you doing? What kinds of foods are you eating? Maybe little changes here and there will make a huge difference. Are you very close to your weight goal? That can be another issue. Your body will fight those last 5 lbs.

I went out for a nice run this morning. I had originally planned to do walk/run intervals but I ended up running all the way. I don't know how many miles I ran because I took a different route and I have not mapped it yet. It felt great, the weather was just perfect!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Didn't get to the YMCA today. My step children stopped by. We took them to dinner and I over ate. I wanted to be good today because we are grilling out tomorrow. Oh well. I hope that I didn't hurt myself to badly.:sad: