Red meat can kill!!!!

Options
pamelad77
pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
Well that's the latest health scare in the news today anyway.

Can i just start banging my head against a wall now, in readiness for the next one. Every week, something is really bad for you, and the next it's good.

I can't keep up!!

I'll carry on down the "everything in moderation" route I think :-)

Replies

• rhi_hope
    rhi_hope Posts: 12
    Options
    Saw that advertised on TV tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, but as you said, with the number of foods which are one day great for us and suddenly toxic the next, it's best not to read too much in to it.

Next it will be oxygen - it's bad for you, don't leave the house11!!111 ;)
  • Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    Options
    Personally I'd take that one with a pinch of salt because if you go and read the study you'll see that it was NOT a controlled experiment, merely an observational one based on crunching data from general health questionnaires used by other organisations. Also an association is not a cause.....and nowhere in the study does it say what *else* those people were eating.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Love stuff like this - I honestly believe that if you were to collect all the food scare stories together and follow them, you would actually not be able to eat anything at all.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    In the late 70's, early 80's there was one scare after another

RED cherries cause cancer!!!!!

I quit eating cherries

HAMBURGERS cause cancer!!!!!

I quit eating hamburgers

SEX causes cancer!!

Eff it, I went back to the damn cherries and burgers

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Love stuff like this - I honestly believe that if you were to collect all the food scare stories together and follow them, you would actually not be able to eat anything at all.

celery:angry:
  • VinVenture
    VinVenture Posts: 290
    Options
    We have a saying in Norway, "Eat carrots today, they'll be toxic tomorrow". Sugar was the enemy, then fat, now general carbs and newly - meat. Eat varied, that's the key.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I quit eating cherries

I quit eating hamburgers

SEX causes cancer!!

ROFL
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Saw that advertised on TV tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, but as you said, with the number of foods which are one day great for us and suddenly toxic the next, it's best not to read too much in to it.

Next it will be oxygen - it's bad for you, don't leave the house11!!111 ;)

Give a baby pure oxygen improperly, it can blind it. There eyes can't handle being exposed to 100% pure oxygen.

But I would have to say,mthat yes, it's a fact that red meat kills.......which ever animal it came from :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ******Breaking News******

Scientists have discovered that the leading cause of death is being born. Based on the observation that 100% of persons born in the 19th century have since died it has been determined that there is a direct correlation between being born and dying.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Apparently it's bad for the endocrine system... Just read a really interesting article written by a heart surgeon who said that the anti-cholesterol/anti-fat focus of the 80s and 90s was a)wrong - inflammation causes heart disease, not fats or cholesterol, and b) has created the obesity and diabetes surges we are now seeing. Science is based on theory, and often gets it wrong.
  • chrishgt4
    Options

I quit eating cherries

I quit eating hamburgers

SEX causes cancer!!

Hahaha awesome...
  • chrishgt4
    Options

Apparently it's bad for the endocrine system... Just read a really interesting article written by a heart surgeon who said that the anti-cholesterol/anti-fat focus of the 80s and 90s was a)wrong - inflammation causes heart disease, not fats or cholesterol, and b) has created the obesity and diabetes surges we are now seeing. Science is based on theory, and often gets it wrong.

The 80s stuff wasn't based on science though - it was based on selling faddy diets to people who didn't know better. A practice that still exists, sadly, today.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

That wouldn't be the article by the same heart surgeon who was stripped of his license to practice in 2008 would it?

Science is based on observations that either support or disprove a hypothesis, observations that can be replicated and yes, science changes over time as we learn new things. Pseudoscience is based on unproven hypothesis and even in the light of overwhelming evidence "true believers" rarely will change their acceptance of the myth as fact.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Red meat can definitely kill ..... especially if it's still got hooves and horns attached and is chasing you through a field!

Think I'll file this latest revelation along with the rest of them in the bin.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    it is true,, but i have a BBQ man who is addicted,, i let him cook it and eat it,,, i just have a few bites! everything in moderation!
  • chrishgt4
    Options
    everything in moderation!

including moderation
  • castadiva
    Options

That wouldn't be the article by the same heart surgeon who was stripped of his license to practice in 2008 would it?

Science is based on observations that either support or disprove a hypothesis, observations that can be replicated and yes, science changes over time as we learn new things. Pseudoscience is based on unproven hypothesis and even in the light of overwhelming evidence "true believers" rarely will change their acceptance of the myth as fact.

Not sure about the Doc's licensing status - didn't check, as it came from a fairly reputable source, but as inflammation is now widely held to be the cause of heart disease among the senior medical fraternity (even if that message hasn't filtered through to the Health boards, GPs etc) licensed or not, he was on the right track. You put my point about science rather better than I did - the folly of being succinct on these boards is that one doesn't always say exactly what one means in great detail :blushing:
  • castadiva
    Options
    everything in moderation!

including moderation

As the famously immoderate Greeks said!
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    So I can't sleep in my bed for all the bedbugs they scaremonger about.

I can't eat my eggs for breakfast because at one stage they were the bad of the bad.

Can't have bacon because the fat will definitely kill me.

Can't ride/travel/drive to work because they're all killers.

Can't sit on my seat because of the germs on it, I can't type on here with my fingers for germs so I'm now using a tissue.

etcetc

If we listened to all of this crap we'd be stuck in a bubble. I take all of it with a pinch of salt now. If I want something I'll eat it in moderation and vary it. I think ALL of these things are when you eat them in ridiculous excess. A perfect example is coke having to change it's ingredients because there's a chemical in it that can cause cancer. Yes there was a chemical in it.. what they only mentioned fleetingly is that you'd have to drink 100+ litres of coke a day for it to even become mildly threatening. Not defending coke or anything unhealthy but it's just getting ridiculous. They seriously will suggest having sex less often one day.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Not sure about the Doc's licensing status - didn't check, as it came from a fairly reputable source, but as inflammation is now widely held to be the cause of heart disease among the senior medical fraternity (even if that message hasn't filtered through to the Health boards, GPs etc) licensed or not, he was on the right track. You put my point about science rather better than I did - the folly of being succinct on these boards is that one doesn't always say exactly what one means in great detail :blushing:

How is this inflammation caused in the first place? Just interesting :)