I need a HR Monitor, whats a good one?

Options
Im going to get a heart rate monitor today ( I don't trust the MFP calories burned) and I have no idea which ones are good and which ones aren't...I would like the best "reasonably' priced one I can get...any suggestions?

Replies

• Clownie7
    Clownie7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like the Garmin GPS watches that include HRM. If you do something outside, they also show distance and calories. Great for biking and spirited walking.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I like the Polar line of HRMs. I would choose the one that fits your budget.
  • jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought myself the Polar FT4 from amazon.com for about $60. I read so many reviews about HRM's here on MFP, and that was one that kept popping up the most. I've used a couple of times so far and am really loving it!!
  • stacyll
    stacyll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i had a polar a5 for almost 10 years. i just bought a polar ft4. if you go to the site you can compare features based on what's important to you. you can then buy on amazon or using a coupon from the big sports stores.
  • AUNIkki
    AUNIkki Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. Just bought it maybe a month ago. I LOVE IT!

ETA: But you should look at what purpose you'll be using it for. If you're an outdoor runner, buy the Garmin Forerunner. My BFF has it and it logs your laps and stuff real easy. I just do cardio like walking, treadmill jogging, or elliptical (in a gym setting) so that's why I like my Polar.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Im going to get a heart rate monitor today ( I don't trust the MFP calories burned) and I have no idea which ones are good and which ones aren't...I would like the best "reasonably' priced one I can get...any suggestions?

Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 last year from heartratemonitorsusa dot com to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like heart rate monitors usa , Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

Also, search for online codes so that you can take advantage of any additional savings :wink:
  • tiarah83
    tiarah83 Posts: 45
    Options

I'll have to second this! I just bought one 2 weeks ago and have been using it nonstop. I love it and it's not complicated. Got mine from Amazon for about $70 with free shipping.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Got my Polar FT40 almost a year ago - sticker shock at first - but SO worth it!
    LOVE it!
  • Manysongs
    Manysongs Posts: 137
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 that I LOVE! I got mine on amazon a few months ago. I use it all the time. :)
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Garmin and Polar are both great, have owned many. Both make several reasonably priced models.
  • TheOneBlackMage
    TheOneBlackMage Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who like the Polar monitors, but I find it conflicts with the machines at the gym, as they use the same frequencies. The Garmin Forerunner series uses ANT+ technology, so you won't pick up someone else's heart rate monitor data on your watch or gym machine.

I use the Garmin 310XT - it was expensive, but very good for tracking data in the gym, and outdoors. They should be a bit cheaper now that the 910XT is out.

Can calculate calorie burn using heart rate data, not just distance, and it's compatible with New Leaf testing if you want to get that done.

I highly recommend this guy's blog for fitness equipment reviews, especially the GPS watches and heart rate monitors:

www.dcrainmaker.com
  • chcoley
    chcoley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Got my Polar FT4 last week from BodyTronics.com for $60. I LOVE it!!!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought myself the Polar FT4 from amazon.com for about $60. I read so many reviews about HRM's here on MFP, and that was one that kept popping up the most. I've used a couple of times so far and am really loving it!!

Yep!
    And I have found that it syncs with the machines I use at the gym so I don't have to hear the machine yelling at me to hold the stupid grips. LOL

Love it, the chest strap is easy to clean and adjust. I wish it came in more colors, but c'est la vie! It's for working out, so what the heck.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar. I'm looking to get a new one and am comparing the FT7 and the FT40.
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    I have a timex one from amazon and love it. the key is to do research and read reviews and make sure it is one with a chest strap and counts calories...not all do/have both.
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ill jump on the Polar ft7. I love mine! It is very comfortable.
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options

I'll have to second this! I just bought one 2 weeks ago and have been using it nonstop. I love it and it's not complicated. Got mine from Amazon for about $70 with free shipping.

Wow good deal! I'm In Canada, and I went to 3 different fitness stores here in my city. I ended up getting it at the place that had it for the cheapest, which was $155. One place wanted $180!!! Damn near had an accident in my pants over that one!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is great.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have a Mio Drive Special Edition Petite. This is my first HRM, and I have no complaints. I needed to read the directions of how to figure it out, but it was easy after that. It shows the calories burned, count down from 3500 (number of calories needed to burn to lose 1 pound), a timer, alarm, and a few other features. I didn't want a chest strap and I didn't want to spend too much money on it. I think it's really accurate. I bought it off Amazon for $58 with tax. I have small wrists, so this was perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/Mio-Special-Edition-Petite-Monitor/dp/B0031YIQX0/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1331653969&sr=1-1

I've only had a HRM for a few weeks, but can't imagine not having one now! Good luck!!