• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is real
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have done it. Sooo ummm what now?
    We fatties can also supply part of the daily fuel from the fat reserves we put on eating too much fuel in the past.

Hence we don't need to put gas in the tank and the same rate as the motor burns it 'cos we're running down a big tank too.

Prove it, eat VLCD then say that again.
  • watboy
    Options
    4 years now. Was also told I wouldnt have any muscles.... Weird....
    Here's some advice, if you haven't done it, eaten VLC for more than a month, you really can't say if it exist or doesn't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Can you cite any scientific study that demonstrates the extent of adaptive themogenesis is directly correlated to the size of calorie restriction? I have been unable to find one.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n2/abs/0803523a.html

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think that critical reading of scientific studies should be a mandatory subject in PRIMARY school and not something that only ppl in science grad schools are thought.

I agree. This is why I am so enthusiastic about homeschooling my children.

Scientific publications and studies are good to read, but you should not automatically believe them. Just because ONE or TWO studies were done doesn't mean that it's findings should be taken as truth.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not everyone responds to a calorie deficit the same way, which is why you have such variances in anecdotal evidence (on top of the fact that we people cite their own experiences, they are often wrong about what exactly "caused" their "effect").

Some people show little or no decrease in resting metabolism, others can see a notable decrease.

In addition, it has been shown that, people who reduce their calories often reduce their overall activity level. This also occurs when people begin exercise programs. Those people end up offsetting much of the effect of their calorie deficits because they decrease energy output.

And lastly, some people take a long time to effectively respond to a diet/exercise program--usually due to their overall hormonal response.

Because of these and other variables, the whole topic of "starvation mode" usually turns into an elaborate exercise in tail-chasing (which unfortunately doesn't burn as many calories as you'd think.).
    This about covers it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Oh My God, FINALLY!! Someone who also believes this starvation mode is a big wobbly myth. We are a generation of very well-fed humans, we are not going to starve or waste away into nothing or have our body go into an overdrive of panic if we haven't eaten in several hours. If this happened then we would disintegrate in our sleep when we decide to sleep those extra few hours.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm starting to think that critical reading of scientific studies should be a mandatory subject in PRIMARY school and not something that only ppl in science grad schools are thought.

I agree. This is why I am so enthusiastic about homeschooling my children.

Scientific publications and studies are good to read, but you should not automatically believe them. Just because ONE or TWO studies were done doesn't mean that it's findings should be taken as truth.
    Which is why they are peer reviewed and can be refuted. But much better to have an actual peer reviewed study done than to just trust anecdotes and opinions.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000 Cal a day. I have hypothyroid. Aunt Flo comes and visits regularly. I have been on a 1000 Cal's a day for 9 months now..and lost 66 lbs. So I do not consider myself starvation mode. I feel just fine! Everyone should mind their own business!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Your body is extremely adaptable- if you drop your calories to an amount that the body cannot handle, it will stop burning fat because it knows that it has to preserve every bit of energy that it can get!! If you don't fuel your body right your metabolism immediately slows down as a way to keep energy levels up. Of course you will lose weight eventually, but to punish your body like that is something that isn't maintainable, and will just result in a sad and even unhealthier lifestyle in the long run!!!!
    Also to note, that if restriction is long enough, then the body will rid itself of higher energy burning tissue in response to survival. Namely lean muscle tissue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    why cant people just eat with moderation? its all about calories and macros but why go to extremes such as intermittent fasting, and ketogenic diets just eat with a caloric defecit and you find success in losing body weight, however without sufficient protein and fats the human body will lose lean muscle tissue and slow down your metabolic rate... food is the key to success so stop starving ur selves!
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Can you cite any scientific study that demonstrates the extent of adaptive themogenesis is directly correlated to the size of calorie restriction? I have been unable to find one.

Not to be a jerk, but did you actually read the study? Because I did, and it doesn't say anything about the size of the calorie restriction having a direct correlation to the size of adaptive thermogenesis.

Here is a key excerpt from the study:

"In conclusion, based on studies that have shown a greater than predicted decrease in EE under energy restriction circumstances, this review presented arguments in support of the potential of adaptive thermogenesis to impede obesity treatment on a short- and long-term basis, at least in some individuals."

Note the inclusion of "at least in some individuals." That means even in the study, not all of the subjects had extra drops in metabolism, even at very low calorie levels.

Here's another key excerpt that I really, really, really hope people will read:

"Indeed, it has been well demonstrated that the decrease in EE during energy restriction and weight loss programs can be greater than expected from the decrease in fat mass and fat-free mass,3, 4, 5 despite these two variables accounting for over 82% of the variance in EE."

In other words, 82% of energy expenditure drop is caused by a loss of mass (i.e. when you lose weight, you burn less calories). 82%. The vast majority of your BMR drop is expected and caused by having less mass, not by any "starvation mode" or "survival response" or whatever. So actually, the study you linked kinda disproves your argument rather than supports it.
  • 1sweetpea70
    1sweetpea70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat. Plain and simple. Eating when you are not hungry is a big no no, so if I'm below whatever calorie goal I may be pursuing....i don't really give a flying f**k
    ......yup....same.
  • watboy
    Options
    Word.
    Oh My God, FINALLY!! Someone who also believes this starvation mode is a big wobbly myth. We are a generation of very well-fed humans, we are not going to starve or waste away into nothing or have our body go into an overdrive of panic if we haven't eaten in several hours. If this happened then we would disintegrate in our sleep when we decide to sleep those extra few hours.
  • Rach_Gem_n_Disguise
    Rach_Gem_n_Disguise Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000 Cal a day. I have hypothyroid. Aunt Flo comes and visits regularly. I have been on a 1000 Cal's a day for 9 months now..and lost 66 lbs. So I do not consider myself starvation mode. I feel just fine! Everyone should mind their own business!

LOL Love it!!
  • watboy
    Options
    Opus649 i'd kiss you if you weren't a dude.

Not to be a jerk, but did you actually read the study? Because I did, and it doesn't say anything about the size of the calorie restriction having a direct correlation to the size of adaptive thermogenesis.

Here is a key excerpt from the study:

"In conclusion, based on studies that have shown a greater than predicted decrease in EE under energy restriction circumstances, this review presented arguments in support of the potential of adaptive thermogenesis to impede obesity treatment on a short- and long-term basis, at least in some individuals."

Note the inclusion of "at least in some individuals." That means even in the study, not all of the subjects had extra drops in metabolism, even at very low calorie levels.

Here's another key excerpt that I really, really, really hope people will read:

"Indeed, it has been well demonstrated that the decrease in EE during energy restriction and weight loss programs can be greater than expected from the decrease in fat mass and fat-free mass,3, 4, 5 despite these two variables accounting for over 82% of the variance in EE."

In other words, 82% of energy expenditure drop is caused by a loss of mass (i.e. when you lose weight, you burn less calories). 82%. The vast majority of your BMR drop is expected and caused by having less mass, not by any "starvation mode" or "survival response" or whatever. So actually, the study you linked kinda disproves your argument rather than supports it.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Also to note, that if restriction is long enough, then the body will rid itself of higher energy burning tissue in response to survival.

The idea that muscle burns significantly more calories than fat is also often overstated by (some) health professionals. Muscle burns 7-10 kcal/day while fat burns 2-3 kcal/day.

Source(s):

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/health/la-he-fitness-muscle-myth-20110516
    http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=how_many_calories_does_muscle_really_burn_not_as_much_as_you_think
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 and lost nothing for 3 months!!!! Needless to say how frustrated I was. Then I read here that I have to up my calories and calculated an amount that gave me a higher calorie goal. I started on that and guess what?!!! I started putting on a lot!!!! of weight.

Now I eat 1000 calories a day and started losing weight like crazy. So, no I don't believe in that either!

Maybe that's because you are already skin and bones!! In order for you to lose more weight your gonna have to cut off a limb!!
  • cassietn
    cassietn Posts: 48
    Options
    Be healthy and happy, listen to your body, calculate your BMR and don't go under it, and if you have any questions ask your doctor and not wikipedia :smile: