Starvation mode is a myth, so why do we keep saying it exist

Options
Seriously, stop it.

Starvation mode ("Starvation response" if you want to research it) only exists for males with 5% body fat or less and females with 10% body fat or less.

A link with cited sources:

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Via Wiki:

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has DEPLETED ITS BODY FAT and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

(emphasis mine).

You should eat a caloric deficit that's comfortable for you regardless of the numbers.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Oh my, what did we do before wikipedia......

Did your sources that say it's ok to drop to whatever level of calories also tell you that going below 1000 calories a day should only be done under medical supervision because of other potential health complications ?

Perhaps the term "starvation mode" does get overused but the fundamental science behind recommending a minimum of 1200 cal a day for women and around 1500 per day for men is sound. Extreme diets fail for 90%+ of dieters using them as they do not encourage the adoption of healthy eating habits that can be sustained for a lifetime.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Eh, I disagree, I've had my own personal experiences with it. I have an ED, at once point I dropped down to a few hundred calories a day and lost nothing at all and even put on a few pounds. Now I'm sure if I had continued down that path for an extended period of time, I would have ended up losing weight, but at first I definitely put some on.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stop it.

Starvation mode ("Starvation response" if you want to research it) only exists for males with 5% body fat or less and females with 10% body fat or less.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Via Wiki:

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has DEPLETED ITS BODY FAT and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

(emphasis mine).

You should eat a caloric deficit that's comfortable for you regardless of the numbers.
    *sigh*

Famine response is real, and has absolutely nothing to do with catabolizing muscle vs burning fat. It's a hormonal response (by the thyroid) that slows your metabolic rate to match your caloric intake, in order to survive the perceived famine due to severe caloric restriction. Also, fat burning is slow, and when you exhaust glycogen supplies during intense activity, your body will switch over to breaking down amino acids, because those can be converted to glucose faster to replenish glycogen supplies. Oh, and there wasn't a single citation in the article you posted.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I also disagree especially your last sentence "You should eat a caloric deficit that's comfortable for you regardless of the numbers". Also I don't think your source is a reliable one. If that would be true then the human race have died long time ago & we are now just a bunch of dinosaurs now.

I know there are a lot of conflicting tips and advice on fitness which really drives my nuts but articles such as that source should be taken with a grain of salt. It is why it is important to consult a RD or any experts on that matter & not just relying on some online stuff that even an 8 year old can edit.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat. Plain and simple. Eating when you are not hungry is a big no no, so if I'm below whatever calorie goal I may be pursuing... I don't really give a flying f**k.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat. Plain and simple. Eating when you are not hungry is a big no no, so if I'm below whatever calorie goal I may be pursuing... I don't really give a flying f**k.
    Hunger is a hormonal response that can be trained. If you consistently under eat, you will train your body to not be hungry.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Picture296.jpg

^because **** like this happens when you eat under 1200 cals a day for a long period of time. i also havent had my period for over a year because i decided to get restrictive so.....yeah. my body pretty much was shutting down from the lack of cals.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a hormonal response that can be trained. If you consistently under eat, you will train your body to not be hungry.

Ya, but that hasn't happened to me. I've been doing quite fine the past year. I'm healthy and happy. I get that there are people who starve themselves, but people need to quit acting like they know everything when it comes to not eating below the magical number of 1200.
  • skinnylove00
    Options
    @Pu_239 yes i am doing a lot better...i am actually eating about 1700 cals a day now haha and i feel much more energetic than ever! of course i have my days where i feel obese but its so much better than those horrid restrictive days where i was utterly miserable. lol when i say `obese` i mean that lightly...i know i am not obese but its hard to totally get rid of those thoughts, you know?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stop it.

Via Wiki:

(emphasis mine).

So if I'm at 5.1% bf I have nothing to worry about? Suh-weet!!!
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Picture296.jpg

^because **** like this happens when you eat under 1200 cals a day for a long period of time. i also havent had my period for over a year because i decided to get restrictive so.....yeah. my body pretty much was shutting down from the lack of cals.

Probably because you were below 10% body fat...but what I think OP is saying that people on this site misuse that term constantly and by no means is there a magic caloric number you need to meet everyday just a general one. If you can slow your metabolism so dramatically by always being below your BMR how come your can't speed it up by eating 4000 calories... genetics play a bigger role in your metabolic rate than your diet.
  • thejen75
    thejen75 Posts: 90
    Options
    Oh my, what did we do before wikipedia......

Did your sources that say it's ok to drop to whatever level of calories also tell you that going below 1000 calories a day should only be done under medical supervision because of other potential health complications ?

Perhaps the term "starvation mode" does get overused but the fundamental science behind recommending a minimum of 1200 cal a day for women and around 1500 per day for men is sound. Extreme diets fail for 90%+ of dieters using them as they do not encourage the adoption of healthy eating habits that can be sustained for a lifetime.

AGREED.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of studies saying it is a myth also. Some people fast two times a week for weight loss with no reverse effects. I am not saying anyone should fast but I think at my weight with all my stores fat, if I am 100-200 calories under I am not going to go into starvation mode. There are no fat starving people out there. Watching the show "Survivor" even where their calories are drastically reduced- those people lose a lot of weight! They do not hold onto their weight because of starvation mode. I am no expert. I might be wrong, but that is my gut feeling based on what i have read.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    Seriously, stop it.

Via Wiki:

(emphasis mine).

I'm starting to think that critical reading of scientific studies should be a mandatory subject in PRIMARY school and not something that only ppl in science grad schools are thought.
    here is my response from one other thread referring to the same study:
    "what if it's exactly this extremely high level of physical activity that kept them from inducing starvation mode responses (loss of muscles)? Their training can be EXTREME (my partner is an ex army officer) and "I do P90X twice a day" doesn't even come close to it. Plus, based on what I heard from my partner about his officer training, these guys/girls don't exactly have three meals a day - their regime includes a lot of IF-like periods (like having time to eat only once a day when in a field and similar), and we all know - fasting -> growth hormone -> protection of muscle mass. I mean, it makes sense: your body won't get rid of what you need for as long as it can. If you use your muscles heavily, body will preserve them as long as it can (until it hits a minimal level of body fat required to survive). Your body doesn't know if you are just dieting and exercising a lot or are you in a middle of a famine and use all this physical activity just to find that little food you are getting.

Now, I noticed that ppl here can be extremely polarized about this. The starvation mode sceptics tend to think that if you mention starvation mode you must be saying that someone will start losing their muscles if she skips breakfast or goes without food for 48h. That's certainly not what I'm talking about (actually I think that IF sounds like a great and very logical thing). I'm talking about metabolic response to a prolonged, very high calorie deficit (but not high enough to kill you) - how high is "very high" and how long is "prolonged" depends on things like your starting weight and your genetics. Women who live on 700cal a day for years without being able to lose weight would probably disagree with the statement that most of us don't have to worry about it."

if you go and read more studies on caloric restriction (CR), you will see that loss of lean mass is well documented even in low CR diets. seems that he only way to keep your muscles while on CR is to use them (start lifting, people).
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    not this again *face palm*
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stop it.

Via Wiki:

(emphasis mine).

'seriously, stop it' as in putting this kind of information up encouraging people to eat as low as they want. =/ I bet you did sooo much research, right?
    While the whole 'starvation mode' is overused, it is still very important to keep up a certian amount of calories. Going too low can only do more harm than good. =/
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree with not dropping too low because calories are needed for bodily functions. But I think if I eat 1200 calories rather than 1400 I will be fine and still drop weight, especially if I am not even hungry.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I wish I was allowed to use WikiPedia as a source for my papers. :sad:
  • skinnylove00
    Options
    Picture296.jpg

Probably because you were below 10% body fat...but what I think OP is saying that people on this site misuse that term constantly and by no means is there a magic caloric number you need to meet everyday just a general one. If you can slow your metabolism so dramatically by always being below your BMR how come your can't speed it up by eating 4000 calories... genetics play a bigger role in your metabolic rate than your diet.

eh, i would disagree. 1200 already has a deficit worked in. your brain alone needs about 500 calories to function properly, plus your organs need to run sufficiently since 70% of the cals you consume is JUST to keep the essential body parts running (liver, kidneys, brain function, etc). 10% of the calories you eat are burned through digesting the food, and the rest in burned through your physical activity. so, 1200 cals a day seems like a good diet for a bed ridden child but as for a full functioning and active young lady like me, eating anything lower than that for a long period of time REGARDLESS of my body fat % is starvation and i dont care what anyone else says.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    all i know is when I dropped below a net of 1200 calories.... I stopped losing weight. I went weeks without losing anything because there was one to two days in the week where my calories were 1000 or less. I was eating low calorie foods, not hungry and thinking this was a good thing.

Then I did some reading, decided I should see if eating more would help..... dropped weight every week after my first week of getting between 1200-1400 net calories every day.

I have no clue if it's a myth or not.... but eating more helped me lose weight and I'm not as grouchy. Win Win all around.