Kids say the darndest things...

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    This is great! I have 4 kids and the three older ones have ALL said something like this - on a repeated basis. Here are some highlights:

My 3 year old - An elderly lady walks out in front of traffic and I say, "Oh *kitten*, that old lady is going to get herself hit!" The windows were down in the car and my son says, "HEY OLD ****, YOU GET HIT IN TRAFFIC!!!"

My daughter - We had these little Home Depot toy men that the kids were playing with at the park and for some reason they got the nickname, 'the redneck men'. When we were going to leave I told the kids to get their stuff and my daughter says, "Don't forget your little rednecks."

My oldest son - We were in the grocery and there was a man missing his legs and he comes running down the aisle and yells, "MOM, MOM, THAT GUY DOESN'T HAVE ANY LEGS!!!" The guy was right behind me so said, "Well what do you think he's gonna do, kick me?"

We all got a good laugh.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    At the swimming pool, my daughter pointed to the fellow on the diving board and yelled, "He's hairy like Daddy!" I hoped he didn't hear, but I didn't try to apologize. Who knows, maybe he was proud of being hairy. I can only hope.

Everyone's who's been around children knows they're curious, honest, in the early stage of learning social graces, and they speak their minds. A couple of years ago, I had a teenager tell me, "You're pretty for your age." I only hesitated briefly before replying, "Thank you." I had to laugh it off, even as I wondered, "How old does she think I am?" I had to remind myself I was, at least, 40 years her senior. :ohwell:

On the other hand, one of my boys threw his arms around the legs of a homeless-looking man and hugged. I just smiled, because the smile on the man's face told me it made his day.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,345 Member
    My son hasnt said anything yet but he likes to point at ppl and I always have to tell him how rude hes being.
    Hes starting to say things randomly to me so im sure the day will come.

My sister and her family live in a prodiminatly white neighborhood and so my niece who was probably 5 at the time had never seen a "black" person.
    I had brought my boyfriend over one time and my niece said "Hes not black, hes brown!" All i could do was laugh.
    Parents understand that we have no control over what comes out of our kids mouths, ppl who get angry obviously dont have kids. Lol.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    I have a 5 year old son and about 6 months ago we were sitting at a restaurant together and he looked over at the table next to us and said, "LOOK AT THE LADY WITH THE PRETTY BROWN FACE. SHE IS THE SAME COLOR AS OUR PRESIDENT." Now, my son just made an observation so I was not upset with him, what I was upset was with how the woman reacted.

She came over to the table where my son and I were sitting and told me I was raising a racist child! Before I could even say anything she said, "Makes sense your son is already racist, he has blond hair and blue eyes just like his Dad."

I stood up, smiled at the woman and said, "So you are upset my son called your pretty and compared you to our president? Nothing out of my son's mouth was racist. However, pointing out my son and I are racist due to our blond hair and blue eyes is a stereotype and is sad you pegged us just by the color of our eyes and hair. Sad really."

Her husband stood up, who was a mountain of a man and said, "You are right. My wife was out of line. Thank you for handling this with tact. He then paid my bill for our meal.

His wife complained to the manager that she sat next to racist people and would not be back. How do I know? My best friend owned the establishment.

The more you know....

that's pretty awesome that you handled it so tactfully and that the husband paid for your meal.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 340 Member
    To be honest with you, I don't really get embarrassed when my kids have asked about other people. Kids are curious! My son has asked me if an overweight woman was pregnant, and I simply tell him," you know what? I am not sure. But before we ask someone a question like that, we should probably get to know them first, don't you think? And we don't get to know them unless mom/dad says its ok right?" He says, " yes, because we don't talk to strangers." Another time he asked about a man in a wheel chair," Mom, what is wrong with him?!" I told him, " Nothing is wrong with him, he is just different than you. Everyone is different aren't they?! I'll bet he doesn't have the same nose as you! And I'll bet you don't have the same fingers as him!" "he says ohhh! So he just rides in a chair because everyone is different" When he is bigger we can elaborate on disabilities etc. I don't like to tell him his observations aren't nice or that they are rude simply because is discourages curiosity, which I feel is a lost art now a days.
    I was, however, embarrassed beyond belief when I asked my husband, who was a short distance away at the grocery store, if he wanted "hard salami, or cotto salami". My daughter, then 4, shouts "yea dad, do you want hard slimey, or cocko slimely". . . the whole store was silent at that exact moment and I am positive everyone in there heard it. . . I don't know how many shades of red I turned. . . .
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    I havent had my daughter say anything like that yet but i was at walmart one time, literally days after i had my daughter, & some little girl pointed to my belly and said there was a baby in there. The mom felt awful. it really didnt bother me though because i really just had one. Had i not just delivered my daughter days ago i probably would have been mortified. But we just laughed about it and i told the little girl "No Baby in there! babys at home!"
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    These are making me LOL

I've definitely had my share of these moments with my boys and they do leave you feeling mortified..but being on the receiving end also has helped me feel better about these awkward moments because... kids are kids and their filter isn't so great.

I was waiting for a seat a a restaurant and there was a little girl just staring at me. Finally, she looked up at her mom and asked, "What is all over her face?" Her mom was mortified, but I just smiled and said, "They're freckles...kisses from the sun."
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    I will never forget when my daughter (now 10) was learning her colors, we were checking out at a store and she pointed and annouced (as proud as can be) that the woman in front of us was brown! The woman was very nice about it so that was nice. My girls (I have 4) crack me up!

Haha. I think it says more about adults that we're so horrified when our kids point out a persons skin colour.
    In fact it probably makes them more racist, seeing us react in horror if we said "shes black!" (or white, or yellow, or brown, or orange)

It should be no different to pointing out someones hair colour or something. It would obv be different if they were like "eww look how brown that person is" or something :L

But yeah, I guess it's just the world we live in where mentioning the colour of someones skin is a huge taboo!

A lot of problems like racism, homophobia etc could be improved in future generations if we were just more honest and plain with our kiddies
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    There are so many funny stories in this post. Kids really do say the funniest things. I think it's a kid thing.

My younger daughter was sitting on the coach and I was having a delivery made at my house. She must have sensed the delivery guy liked me because out of no where she says "I have a daddy and his name is Harold Foster" we both looked at each other and giggled (me more of an embarrassed giggle). Me and her dad weren't together at the time for many years, which made it even funnier. after the embarrassing moment passed. Guess she was trying to make sure he didn't like me.:laugh: :laugh:
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member

Haha. I think it says more about adults that we're so horrified when our kids point out a persons skin colour.
    In fact it probably makes them more racist, seeing us react in horror if we said "shes black!" (or white, or yellow, or brown, or orange)

It should be no different to pointing out someones hair colour or something. It would obv be different if they were like "eww look how brown that person is" or something :L

But yeah, I guess it's just the world we live in where mentioning the colour of someones skin is a huge taboo!

A lot of problems like racism, homophobia etc could be improved in future generations if we were just more honest and plain with our kiddies

Very astute observation! I agree wholeheartedly. :flowerforyou:
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    I don't have any kids but I say the darndest things.. I once asked a lady how far along she was, she wasn't prego. I was mortified..

LOL Something similar: I worked at a Dairy Queen when I was a teen and I addressed the person on the other end as "sir." When they came around, I still addressed the person as "sir." At the end, the WOMAN with a deep voice, very short hair and flat chest interrupted me to tell me she was a woman.

Imagine my face and how vehemently I apologized!
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member

When my brother was little (around 3) he asked my mom if an obese woman was a "big lady"? And apparently, I asked if an African American man was chocolate......I was probably about 3 also.

At least you only asked!

Where we lived when I was little, there was a coloured family living down the street. Apparently when I was about 3, I saw one of the boys climbing over a wall and bit him on the leg because I wanted to find out if he tasted of chocolate... :blushing:

Then, to make it worse, I was out shopping with my mum and she started talking to this guy. She turned to me and said "Do you remember xxxx? He's the one you bit when you were little!" I could have died! :blushing:
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 479 Member
    My daughter has had her share of stating the obvious and embarrassing me in public. The worst one was when she was about 3 (she is 6 now) and she had gotten really into Dora and I guess she thought she could speak Spanish and she walked up to these random Hispanic people at Walmart and started speaking giberish at them and was so proud of herself for speaking "spanish" to them. Yea, I could have died!!!
    She also likes to say embarrassing things to ME in public. We were in the rr together and she started to loudly comment on the color of my panties, the fact that my butt covered the entire toilet seat and then said "Good job Mommy, I knew you could do it!" when she heard me peeing. Nice....
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member

When my brother was little (around 3) he asked my mom if an obese woman was a "big lady"? And apparently, I asked if an African American man was chocolate......I was probably about 3 also.

At least you only asked!

Where we lived when I was little, there was a coloured family living down the street. Apparently when I was about 3, I saw one of the boys climbing over a wall and bit him on the leg because I wanted to find out if he tasted of chocolate... :blushing:

Then, to make it worse, I was out shopping with my mum and she started talking to this guy. She turned to me and said "Do you remember xxxx? He's the one you bit when you were little!" I could have died! :blushing:

It's apparently racist to use the word coloured these days, some footballer got in **** over it a few weeks back...lol

At least you only asked!

OMG! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    When my brother was younger, he was in the store with my mom when they say a bigger lady in a green dress and he laughed and yelled "Look mommy! A Christmas tree!" Another time he saw a black man and yelled "Ewww! He's dirty!" Both time my mother was mortified!! Ahhh...Kids.....
    ha.
    My daughter has had her share of stating the obvious and embarrassing me in public. The worst one was when she was about 3 (she is 6 now) and she had gotten really into Dora and I guess she thought she could speak Spanish and she walked up to these random Hispanic people at Walmart and started speaking giberish at them and was so proud of herself for speaking "spanish" to them. Yea, I could have died!!!
    She also likes to say embarrassing things to ME in public. We were in the rr together and she started to loudly comment on the color of my panties, the fact that my butt covered the entire toilet seat and then said "Good job Mommy, I knew you could do it!" when she heard me peeing. Nice....

my kids are identical to me, spitting images, mini me's. I like to ask them if they are lost in the store and ask them if they need help finding their mommy. I like to make sure its a crowded aisle, too, lol. The looks I get are down right funny.
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    My niece came up to me at a family gathering (she was about 4 or 5), and patted my belly and said "you're fat!!)
    My sister was so embarrassed, she called her over to her and said "we don't say things like that, that's not nice!!" , and to me she was "I'm soo sorry" it was embarrassing, and I turned red, but I got over it.

Also that was when I was only 200 pounds, I've since gained another 60 so I can only imagine what a kid would say now :P
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member

At least you only asked!

Where we lived when I was little, there was a coloured* family living down the street. Apparently when I was about 3, I saw one of the boys climbing over a wall and bit him on the leg because I wanted to find out if he tasted of chocolate... :blushing:

It's apparently racist to use the word coloured these days, some footballer got in **** over it a few weeks back...lol

* black/coloured/of African descent/whatever terminology is now preferred :wink:

(My post was not intended to offend :smile: but was just to lay open my embarrasment for you all to laugh at me :wink: )
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    This is great! I have 4 kids and the three older ones have ALL said something like this - on a repeated basis. Here are some highlights:

My 3 year old - An elderly lady walks out in front of traffic and I say, "Oh *kitten*, that old lady is going to get herself hit!" The windows were down in the car and my son says, "HEY OLD ****, YOU GET HIT IN TRAFFIC!!!"

My daughter - We had these little Home Depot toy men that the kids were playing with at the park and for some reason they got the nickname, 'the redneck men'. When we were going to leave I told the kids to get their stuff and my daughter says, "Don't forget your little rednecks."

My oldest son - We were in the grocery and there was a man missing his legs and he comes running down the aisle and yells, "MOM, MOM, THAT GUY DOESN'T HAVE ANY LEGS!!!" The guy was right behind me so said, "Well what do you think he's gonna do, kick me?"

We all got a good laugh.

ROFL!