Dangerous carbs

Options
Since the spring of 2011, my parents started on a new diet. With the help of a nutritionist, they build a weekly "diet" plan where they watch the amount of carbs they are eating. My dad lost 50 pounds in only a few months and we had never seen him so healthy. He's the one who inspired me to lose some weight and to get on MFP.

I am not a nutritionist and there I do not recommend you follow what I say in this, but if you're curious about it, you might want to contact one to see what you could do.

Carbs are a source of "easy" energy, they are important for our system, but if we eat too much of it, it can easily turn into fat.
In my case, I need about 6 portions of carbs a day. One portion is 15 g of carbs, so it makes 90g a day.

The good thing is that you always subtract the grams of fibers to the amount of carbs, fibers are good for you!

It is not a secret to anyone that bread and sugar will make you gain weight, so go for breads high in fiber, dark chocolate and fruits, eat lots of proteins (nuts are good, but watch out for the fat!), work out and love life!

Once again, don't forget that I'm just sharing this with you to make you curious, if you're really interested, see a nutritionist!

Good luck!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your family on their success!

Thanks for sharing your post, but:
    It is not a secret to anyone that bread and sugar will make you gain weight,

^ This satement is void of context and dosage. Neither of the above items will cause weight gain unless you're eating in excess of your calorie expenditure.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist and there I do not recommend you follow what I say in this

okay, thanks.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    That sounds a lot like the diet that I was put on when i was pregnant and had gestational diabetes. I could have 2 units for breakfast and 3 units for lunch and dinner, otherwise my blood sugars were totally out of whack.

i know that a calorie is a calorie, but I also know that I feel better and have more energy and in turn lose more weight when eating less carbs.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i love carbs, i would marry them if i could. NEVER giving them up.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I eat lots of carbs, even bread and sugar, and not only have I not gained weight, but I have actually lost! Crazy, I know, but it's true, you can eat whatever you want and lose weight.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Carbs are a source of "easy" energy, they are important for our system, but if we eat too much of it, it can easily turn into fat.

It is not a secret to anyone that bread and sugar will make you gain weight,

This post would fall under this category.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/496770-misinformation?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    In my case, I need about 6 portions of carbs a day. One portion is 15 g of carbs, so it makes 90g a day.

The good thing is that you always subtract the grams of fibers to the amount of carbs, fibers are good for you!

It is not a secret to anyone that bread and sugar will make you gain weight, so go for breads high in fiber, dark chocolate and fruits, eat lots of proteins (nuts are good, but watch out for the fat!), work out and love life!

mlp_orly_display.png
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Im a runner. Carbs are my bff :)
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Mean, Angry, Dangerous Carbs!!

3907614368_9b4585002d.jpg
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Mean, Angry, Dangerous Carbs!!

3907614368_9b4585002d.jpg

That might be my next meme. Excellent post.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The worst of all carbs, the brotato

brotato.jpg
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It is not a secret to anyone that bread and sugar will make you gain weight
    No kidding...I was not aware of this. Silly me, I thought it was an excess of something that made me gain weight. :flowerforyou:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    killer-carbs.jpg&sa=X&ei=SYJfT-_ABKLv0gHurMC8Bw&ved=0CAsQ8wc4EA&usg=AFQjCNEWy9SCJ_ra-WWhG_0G9K-PbD6e8A
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    anti_atkins_tshirt-p235835701055319912t53h_400.jpg
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When I weighed my least I ate bread and potatoes non-stop, and pasta. Now I don't eat much of those things and I am not so small now.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    That banana I just ate is going straight to my butt. Darn evil carbs.

Oh wait... I eat a good portion of carbs every day and (GASP!) have brown sugar in my oatmeal several times a week. Yeah... I'm calling this "It is not a secret to anyone that bread and sugar will make you gain weight" thing a fallacy.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Girls love dangerous carbs! It's a daddy thing, I'm sure.
  • mmbertrand
    Options
    You are right, I didn`t express myself correctly. I don't think they are completely bad for you, but I think watching out on the amount you eat might help.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that it wasn't the carbs that caused weight loss it was the diet change....

If you go from eating fried chicken, pizza, burgers and fries, insert other **** here,

And you REPLACE that with lean meats, veggies, etc.

I can almost promise you you are creating a caloric deficit. Carbs don't have **** to do about it.

-_-
  • mmbertrand
    Options
    Also, everybody`s metabolism is different, that's why I said that if you are curious about it, you should ask!
    I just wanted to share.