Hummus?

Options

Replies

• laurentapia
    laurentapia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT. I eat some everyday!

I have stopped eating chips, and now eat carrots and hummus instead.

I personally enjoy the roasted garlic hummus, and my local store has a Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus that is very good!!

I do limit myself, I only eat the suggested serving size. If I could, I would eat the entire tub. :)
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love hummus. It really doesn't have a lot of sodium per serving. It's low cal and very healthy for you. I like mine spicy too. Tribe has some yummy ones. Trader Joes also has a very good layered one with jalapeno & cilantro. Athenos brand roasted garlic is good too. I have yet to try one that I didn't like. With pita chips and use veggies to dip. Enjoy!
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOVE hummus!! Homemade or store-bought. My kids love it, too, some nights it's the only way I can get them to eat their carrots!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i make my own or get sabra. it's a bean dip of sorts (garbanzo). lots of different kinds. i like mine garlicky. of the sabra versions, i like pine nut, original, spicy and roasted red pepper. i eat with reduced fat triscuits as a treat or with the occasional pretzel crisps. also good on sammies instead of mayo - it's packed with protein so i often have a veggie sammie with hummus. also great with falafel on a pita and crammed with veggies.
  • Destinie589
    Destinie589 Posts: 211
    Options
    I LOVE Lilly's jalapeno hummus. So freaking good. It just tastes like a lighter version of bean dip. I hope you like it. I like to eat it with chips, on salads, with veggies, I love the stuff. Yummmmm now I'm hungry.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! Almost any flavoring, with almost anything...it's yum yum yummy! The one I buy most often is the single-serving size Tribe packs from Costco...less than $5 for 16 individual 'snack' sizes, 100 cals per pack. Mmmmm, now I want some hummus :laugh:
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love hummus!!! I'm new to it though. So far my favorite is the Sabra- Roasted Red Pepper. MMMMMM!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I like the Tribe brand. The roasted red pepper is good and I also like the original. If you really get into eating it a lot, its very easy to make your own. We used to make it in a blender in college. I am part Lebanese so I grew up eating it every Sunday at my Grandmother's house. Nothing compares to her's but many of the brands out there are very good.

I eat Tribe Sweet Roasted Red Peppers hummus nearly every day with carrots and / or celery. I love it. Sometimes I like mixing in some nonfat plain Greek yogurt to add a little protein and make it more of a dip :heart:
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    The Cilantro/Jalapeno (Sabra brand) is my new, favorite go to snack!! I love it with red bell peppers, pretzel thins, or carrots.....so good!! =]
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I also use tahini in mine. it is VERY versatile. i like making my own because i have more control over the fat/oil. i just add more water instead of oil...not as good, but gets the job done. :happy:
    I made a trio not long ago for a work snack day. They were all really good. Hummus can be adapted in so many ways.

Edamame Hummus
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 107.4 • Fat: 6.7 g • Carb: 7.2 g • Fiber: 3.8 g • Protein: 6.1 g • Sugar: 0.5 g Sodium: 11.4 mg

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups edamame (green soy beans) cooked and shelled
    2 tbsp tahini paste (sesame seed paste)
    1/4 cup water plus more if needed
    1 tsp lemon zest
    juice of one lemon
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    Kosher salt to taste
    pepper
    2 tsp olive oil
    black and white sesame seeds as a garnish (optional) - I used poppy seeds and white sesame seeds b/c that is what I had!

Directions:
    In a food processor, blend soy beans, tahini, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper and 1 tsp olive oil until smooth. Add more water if needed until consistency is smooth. Place in a bowl and top with remainder oil and sesame seeds.

Garlic Hummus
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup
    Calories: 130• Fat:7 g • Carb: 17 g

1 can Garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    Juice of one small lemon (add half at a time to desired taste)
    3 cloves garlic (I like bite with a bite, so I used 3 BIG cloves)
    3 TB Tahini
    Smidge of kosher salt
    1/4 cup water - add in steps
    1/2 Olive oil

Dump all except oil in food processor and blend until smooth. I started with half the water and added until desired consistency. Garnish with Olive oil and paprika. (or cayenne if you like a kick)

Black Bean Hummus
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup
    Calories: 110 • Fat: 5 g • Carb: 15 g

1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
    Juice of one lime
    1 tsp cumin
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1 TB diced cilantro
    3 TB tahini
    1/4 cup water - added in steps

Dump all in food processor and blend until smooth. I started with half the water and added until desired consistency. Garnish with additional cilantro.

I use tahini in all my hummus, but some good olive oil will work if you don’t have/use tahini.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    hummus is mashed up chick peas. then, seasoned different ways and sometimes blended with olive oil.

its absolutely AMAZEBALLS.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump for the recipes :)..i too love hummus, the spicier the better!
  • DrWatson349
    Options
    I eat it almost every day with pita bread, its low in calories and taste pretty good, try it!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    You got to give it a try, I eat it on my sandwiches and as a dip for my veggies. I like the sarba red pepper the best.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry! My favorite is a hard boiled egg, sliced in half, with the yolk removed and replaced with hummus!! I also make a wrap with turkey, romaine, and hummus.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry! My favorite is a hard boiled egg, sliced in half, with the yolk removed and replaced with hummus!! I also make a wrap with turkey, romaine, and hummus.

OMG Y.U.M.
  • jjavers24
    jjavers24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's also a really good base for salad dressings. When I'm in the mood for a new "creamy" dressing, I add hummus to my balsamic and olive oil salad dressing and it's a nice change. Good luck!
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love it! Artichoke/garlic is my favorite, but also red pepper. I prefer to make my own ...
  • bmkx0
    bmkx0 Posts: 308
    Options
    sabra brand. i like the roasted garlic flavor
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I love hummus! I found some super hummus at Kroger recently which has fewer calories and more protein. mmmm. It tastes closest to a bean dip, since I suppose it is a bean dip. ;)
    So good on peppers or pita.