"You've lost enough weight now"

Options
124»

Replies

• Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    Nope. everybody I know are very supportive and know that i will not go below my ideal weight. :smile:
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I get this from my mom every time she sees me...although, I've still got another 50+ pounds to go before I'll be satisfied. I understand that she says (and is correct in saying) that women in our family have big frames, so losing "too much" weight could be bad. But...130 is a perfectly respectable weight to be at. Honestly, I'd probably be able to go lower and still be fine (although I won't tell her that!)

Thank god, though, that whenever my mom says that, my girlfriend tells her how proud she is of me! It makes me glow :3
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    [/quote]

They see me losin'
    They hatin'
    [/quote]

LOL!!!! :laugh:
  • sunshinel397
    Options

They see me losin'
    They hatin'
    [/quote]

LOL!!!! :laugh:
    [/quote]
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've gotten this comment from a few people lately (meant in good faith I think). They look at me like I'm nuts when I say I want to lose a little bit more (5 pounds more, maybe 10 depending on how I look-at the very most 15). Nothing wrong with wanting a six pack and setting goals : ).
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    Ok. Quote fail. Anyway, thought whoever said that was funny. Now if someone could teach me how to use the "Quote" function....:tongue:
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think it is code for "You are getting too hot. Stop it!"
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think people get so used to seeing you a certain size that it becomes hard to see you any other size. It's like they are seeing a new person instead of the one they have always known, and it's weird to them.

Just keep doing your thing. They will acclimate to your new body.

Great point!
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yep i get that from the hubby, i tell him i'm not done yet and will let him know when i am!!

LMAO!

I wish I was at that point!
  • nicholjenny
    nicholjenny Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've had this from a close "supporter". I took a moment to think about it, then put it out of my mind. I have realistic goals and I need to keep them as the priority. I guess it made me more determined.
  • FloraLyons
    FloraLyons Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this is a topic. This has recently been said to me a lot. Which is funny because no one said I was killing myself overeating and gaining so much weight.... but losing it? Everyone has an opinion and like buttholes, we all have one.
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    It gets on my freaking nerves. I could really hurt their feelings by saying, "You've gained enough weight now", but nope I just smile and say it in my head. I don't tell you when to stop gaining, so I think I can decide when to stop losing.

5955717.png

Ahahaha! I would LOVE to say 'You've gained enough weight now', to some of my friends. But none of them tell me I've lost too much so that would just be mean :p

My grandmother is my biggest critic. She's always saying how she hopes I won't turn into a bean stalk, and asking when I will stop. But it is never in an overtly cruel way so I just brush it all off. I get comments on how much thinner I look now, but to me I still see how much weight I need to lose, which is 5kg.

But for a twist on this subject... my boyfriend actually told me that when I hit my target weight I should keep going. That really insulted me, actually.
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    my friends have been very supportive, and they've told me i look like i've lost a bit, and i think they know i'd like to get to a healthier range :).
  • jackeroo83
    jackeroo83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This whole post makes me furious.. but I'm so glad to see that MFP has so many awesome people that pick each other up when someone else brings them down. I had many of the same comments -- my roommate used to check the sizes of my new clothes when I came home and tell me I looked anorexic... my mom said, "you're not going to lose any more weight, are you?" I don't know if it was based out of jealousy, or concern, or both, but ultimately, I let them defeat me... and I gained a significant amount back. Looking back, and feeling frustrated having to do things all over, I will never let these comments derail me again. The lowest I got was a very lean 130 -- at 5'3", this is hardly anorexic! Wishing you all the best in your fitness journey -- and thanks so much for posting this topic! :-)
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this is a topic. This has recently been said to me a lot. Which is funny because no one said I was killing myself overeating and gaining so much weight.... but losing it? Everyone has an opinion and like buttholes, we all have one.

This is a good point.. I'll remember this the next time someone says something :)

Thanks everyone :)
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've had this said to me a few times now. I honestly think it's meant in a nice way and that people are concerned but it's really hard to explain to them 'yeah, I look fine in my clothes but underneath... not so much' They just see me way smaller than I was and fitting into regular size clothes. They don't see what I see.

I'm almost at my initial goal weight of 133lbs but I'm thinking of dropping it to 126lb because I'm still really flabby. People say this is to small for me and I'll make myself ill and look gaunt. I'll see when I get to 133 and decide then if I want to drop it. I'm just not going to mention it to people again because I think they really are concerned about me.

What I see as determination in myself can look like obsession to others because I have a bit of an OCD personality. I see where they're coming from, once I get a bee up my *kitten* about something I'm pretty focussed on it and I know it DOES look like an obsession. I think they genuinely are concerned that I'll become anorexic which is funny to me as I'm such a foodie and love my spike days.

I think it's best to just not talk about it for a while so I don't have to explain myself.