Swimmers....people with Chlorine experience needed!

Options
Hey all,

This was the most appropriate board for the question, so here I am. I've been swimming fairly regularly - but I'm having to limit myself to once a week at the mo as my skin is very sensitive and my hair is becoming ruined by the chlorine! Seriously, tonight I've just tried brushing my hair out and it's so dry it feels like it has product in it (which it doesn't, i never use hair products like gel etc).

Basically, just wondering if anyone knows of a good shampoo/conditioner and skin moisturiser which would allow me to swim more regularly without being blotchy and having hair like straw?! (I don't have colour in my hair or anything).

Any feedback appreciated!!

Replies

• MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ultraswim-chlorine-removal-shampoo/ID=prod9072-product

Also, using a cap is a good idea. And doing a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week.
  • jennyegan7210
    jennyegan7210 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I swim once a week, and you're right, it is horrible on hair and skin. The best thing I've found for me is to use a leave in conditioner on my hair prior to swimming, and wearing a swim cap over that. If you don't want to wear a swim cap, go home and sleep with a thick leave in cream conditioner on your hair overnight. Rinse out in the morning.

As far as the skin, the only advice I have is just keep using moisturizers. Don't use a fragrant kind like bath and body works. Just use a natural coco butter or something like that.
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Soak your hair in the shower first. Or when I use to spend the day in the pool guarding and teaching I would put normal conditioner on it before going out. I forget the brand name but there is a shampoo conditioner thats made for swimmers.
  • karincarney
    karincarney Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    soak your hair in the shower first-that way the chlorinated water will not soak in to your hair. And wear a bathing cap. I have tried conditioner on my hair before swimming, but it caused the bathing cap to slide off.
  • HGChao
    HGChao Posts: 23
    Options
    I wet and condition my hair before putting on a swim cap.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I used to swim allot in my younger years, and I used a deep heat oil once a week .... you basically drop the oil in hot water and when its warmed through rub it through your hair and leave on for whatever the oil directions tell you then shampoo out ... hope this is helpful ... also as suggested a swim cap also soaking your hair in the showers prior to getting into the pool
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I wet and condition my hair before putting on a swim cap.

This is what I used to do.
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Buy a proper swim hat so your hair doesn't get wet.

Best body moisturizer is E45 Cream by far, or you can go to extreme and any particularly dry bits you can cover with vaseline before getting into the pool to protect yourself.

Also there are pools with less chlorine that use UV to kill bacteria and therefore need less chlorine.

I'm a lifeguard and know wayyyy too much about pools-trust me ;)

Good Luck xx
  • jodiibeanss
    Options
    I swam competitively when I was in grammar school and high school 3 days a week and this used to happen to me ALL the time! I found a shampoo and conditioner that weren't all too expensive (not much more than an average shampoo and conditioner) that was specifically for "swimmers hair" with all the chlorine! I'm telling you, it worked like a CHARM! I would use that. Or like one of the other posts, wearing a cap really helps too, just make sure you get one that is good, not a cheap, crappy one that will snap. Hope this helps! Happy Swimming! :smile:
  • DistortedButterfly
    DistortedButterfly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    swim in a lake?
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    deep conditioner!
    as for my skin, I have eczema and cortizone 10 tends to help immediately after showering with a moisterizing body soap. Also, I know that this may not be an option, but salt water filtration seems to be less harsh than traditional chlorine pools. Happy swimming!
  • stringqueen16
    Options
    what I do is really simple - got the tip from my hairdresser (I have light blonde hair and the chlorine makes my hair brittle and...um...green) - just take a dollop of your usual conditioner and put it in a spray bottle then fill with water. Shake it up until it's nice and mixed up, then when you rinse your hair before you go swimming, spray the mixture in and leave it in. That takes care of the hair.
    For the skin, I just use gold bond aloe afterward and my skin is nice and soft all day long.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

As far as the skin, the only advice I have is just keep using moisturizers. Don't use a fragrant kind like bath and body works. Just use a natural coco butter or something like that.

I don't have problems with my hair (especially since cutting it all off) but I ALWAYS use plenty of lotion every day and I still break out like crazy when I swim in the pool. Even when I get out and shower right away. I never used to be this way, but since gaining weight, it's been awful. I was going to try some of this this summer and see if it helps (I didn't have a chance to last summer):

http://www.swimmisports.com/browse.cfm/triswim-body-lotion/4,3137.html
  • zephyrionitis
    Options
    I use olive oil as a hair treatment once a week.
    I also make my own lotion using a base, olive oil, some cocoa butter and lavender oil and that works pretty good.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    boots sell a own brand sun, swim and gym which works wonders on my hair - i swim 3 to 4 days a week for between 45 and 90 mins
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I used to swim 4-5 times a week for over a decade until I perforated my ear drums, I used to use a product called Sun & Swim which was fantastic I never had any problems with my hair, not sure if they still make it though.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help. I swam all my life, even through college. It wasn't until I gave it up that my skin and hair began to turn to normal. I'm literally still dealing with the frizzy hair (and I quit 2 years ago!)

It was a great cardio work out, but swimming through college and working countless hours on a pool deck as a coach and lifeguard kind of killed my love for the sport. I'm hoping that I can learn to love it again as a recreational activity :)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I used to swim in highschool. We all washed our hair immediately and put in leave in conditioner spray into it. It seemed to work. Chorine and blonde hair don't do well especially after a fresh dye. I'd suggest a swim cap, but still use the leave in conditioner.
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    Loreal kids shampoo Swim and sport !!!! I spend plenty of years on swim teams.. It is the cheapest and I always had beautiful hair even during "Swim team season" there are other brands but thiis one worked just as well.. Also any conditioner to add to it
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Be especially careful if your hair is color-treated. The Ultra-Swim products may not help that. I am a brunette and when I swam competitively, the combination of the chlorine and sunshine turned my hair orange (OK, more of an auburn, but still...) when I was in 7th grade... YMMV, though. (We swam outside in a bromine pool in the summertime--way worse!)

Be sure to shower thoroughly after you leave the pool. Try not to leave the chlorinated water on your skin and hair for any longer than you have to. Same with your swimsuit (yes, really!). Rinse it out thoroughly in clear water after you take it off because the chlorine will eventually damage it. Rinsing slows the process.

Happy swimming!