Swimmers....people with Chlorine experience needed!

Options

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Try not to leave the chlorinated water on your skin and hair for any longer than you have to. Same with your swimsuit (yes, really!). Rinse it out thoroughly in clear water after you take it off because the chlorine will eventually damage it. Rinsing slows the process.

Oh yes! I worked for a summer camp after care one summer and our job was basically to supervise swim time. I went through two bathing suits that summer despite rinsing and washing several times a week.
  • joyce1129
    joyce1129 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There is a company named Malibu C that offers awesome products for hair and skin. They have a swimmer's shampoo and conditioner, and also a swimmer's skin care line of products. All of their products are fully guaranteed and are gluten free and vegan. They may be a little more pricey than some of the otghers out there, but they work and they even smell good.

www.malibuc.com
  • mamoojack
    mamoojack Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I swim 3 or 4 times a week, and I LOVE Garnier Fructis Leave in condtioner. I also use it on the beach in the summer. After your pool shower, comb it thru your hair, twist it in a bun and go. The next day your hair will feel AWESOME!!!! As for your skin, rinse well with a poof and shower gel, then moisturize!!! Does your gym have steam???? works wonders on both hair and skin!! (not sauna, steam!!!)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    There is a company named Malibu C that offers awesome products for hair and skin. They have a swimmer's shampoo and conditioner, and also a swimmer's skin care line of products. All of their products are fully guaranteed and are gluten free and vegan. They may be a little more pricey than some of the otghers out there, but they work and they even smell good.

www.malibuc.com
    good to know! Thanks :wink:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    swim in a lake?

With all the icky stuff living in there? ;) Mud freaks me out :p

Thank you SO much for all of the replies guys! I'm actually allergic to most swim caps (./sigh) does anyone know a brand that would be non-allergenic?

I like the idea of covering bad bits up with Vaseline! And thanks everyone for the links to specific products, guess it's just a case of trialling things out now.

I washed and conditioned my hair for a third time yesterday and it's not "hard" now, which is good - having a majorly bad hair day though! Lol.

Thanks again all xD
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    I use olive oil as a hair treatment once a week.
    I also make my own lotion using a base, olive oil, some cocoa butter and lavender oil and that works pretty good.

I tried that once (maaaany moons ago) and ended up with oil in my hair for about a week....how do you get it out properly??
  • zephyrionitis
    Options
    I use olive oil as a hair treatment once a week.
    I also make my own lotion using a base, olive oil, some cocoa butter and lavender oil and that works pretty good.

I tried that once (maaaany moons ago) and ended up with oil in my hair for about a week....how do you get it out properly??

Shampoo afterwards of course. Probably should have mentioned that
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Hehe, maybe I just put too much in then xD How much did you use? I like the soundof your recipe too!
  • jennysuew
    jennysuew Posts: 6 Member
    Options

www.malibuc.com

I second Malibu products! We have a back yard swimming pool and use their products all summer long. My hair stylist has commented that she can't even tell that we are in the pool everyday. Good stuff!
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Palmers cocoa butter!! It's the best moisturiser ever, apply liberally all over your body including a little through the hair which should help stop dryness :drinker:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Palmers cocoa butter!! It's the best moisturiser ever, apply liberally all over your body including a little through the hair which should help stop dryness :drinker:

I LOVE the smell of this stuff!! Just makes me want to eat it!

Malibu - do you know if that is available in the UK?
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting a horrid case of hot tub rash, I have been using just unrefined coconut oil. It melts on my fingers and absorbs well. I use the garner fructus, too, but not the leave in conditioner.

I also shower well and get quite wet before swimming. I wet my hair with tap water and use a swim cap.

Jan
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As a high school and college swimmer we all did the following:
    1. apply conditioner before your workout and since that makes your hair slippery--2 swim caps
    2. once a week rinse with crushed up Vitamin C and water. Careful if you dye your hair as it will lift color
    3. hot oil treatments
  • amaranthine1018
    Options
    15 years of daily chlorine experience here. ;) What worked best for me was..
    A) wearing a swim cap
    B) Rinsing/showering ASAP after finishing swimming
    C) Moisturizing with something heavy-duty twice daily - after getting up and before going to bed.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    swim cap, deep conditioning treatments....

...i use treseme shampoo and conditioner the one with the UV filter in it...worked well on my hair and i was swimming 2-3 days a week.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Get a chelating shampoo if you can, although your hair might be damaged beyond repair at this point.

In the future, soak your hair in clean water before you enter the pool--that way it will absorb less chlorine as it will be soaked with water already. Or get a better cap :)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Swim Cap. Other than than that, any shampoo will work. They biggest key...showering immediately after getting out.

Personally, though...Just shave your head. You'll even increase your times
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Guys, olive oil doesn't come out easily. If you want to get it out, use a conditioner--slather your hair in a cheapie conditioner (Suave, VO5, etc.) and let that sit for 15 min, then rinse.

For most people's hair, something like coconut oil is better.

OP, you might want to post your question on longhaircommunity.com -- you'll get much more knowledgeable help there. For skin, too.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I wear a silicone cap, definitely helps - I have mega bleached blonde hair and need to keep it away from the chlorine. I also use a leave in conditioner spray before night and on the weekends (or anytime I feel it needs moisture) Aveeno is effective and cost effective. For an extra body moisturizer as my skin is also sensitive and dry I use organic Coconut oil... the real deal, bought from Farmer's market. It is also sold at Save On Foods. Works wonders. For shampoo and Conditioning, Redkin products work best for me, extra moisture and shine. About $20 a bottle tho' so use sparingly.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I found a salt-water pool---and love it. Still it is hard on my hair, I apply conditioner before I put on my swim cap and swim with it on my hair. When I get done my hair is lovely and soft. I use natural products as I don't want to add even more chemicals to my life.
    Good luck!