Wedding Dress Nightmares

Options

Replies

• Emabo
    Emabo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    lalaloses, I absolutely LOVE THE CAKE!

Also, I am like most of you, and I prefer the more conservative dresses. I do find all dressed beautiful on anybody who prefers them though! I hope one day I can have an all white slim dress, with a v-neck, and wonderful full-length lace sleeves.
    Might I add, you all looked beautiful in your dresses!
  • christinerush
    Options
    Oh my God you look amazing! The more pictures the better! I say to stick to the most simple design you can find, an A line works well and yes add a jacket like you did and the clipped on sleeves is an amazing idea!
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    David's Bridal is pretty much ****. Overpriced, shoddily constructed dresses hawked by pushy saleswomen that won't listen to what you want unless you're small enough to try on everything.

OP, I advise you to look for other bridal boutiques in the area. If David's is your only option, a custom dress might be your best bet to get what you want.
  • katem78
    katem78 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had mine made...i got married on a Greek island, with a few friends so nothing in the bridal stores seemed appropriate. I went and bought the fabric (silk with some lace added) and had a seamstress( and mother of a friend) made it for me!

if you don't want to run from one store to the other...it is the best solution!

Good luck and best wishes!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    6835038752_f3f650c966.jpg
    Elizabeth, just to say -

You look beautiful. Your hubby looks great. (Congratulations, BTW :flowerforyou: ) Your wedding looks wonderful, and your dress was just gorgeous.

But I must be showing my age (49 years), because the thing that strikes me most about your pics is that your dad (I'm figuring he's your dad) is a totally scrumptious handsome-cutie! Your mom is a very lucky woman, and any future sons you might choose to have will be lucky handsome boys. :smile:

Thank you!

HAHAH That's my grandfather, and he's almost 70. I'll be sure to tell him that you think he's cute, though my grandmother may have something to say about it. The suit he had on during the wedding was like 3 sizes too large so he was swamped, unfrotunately.
    Okay - I guess you know you're getting old when you find yourself cruising the internet for 70-yo grandfathers. :embarassed: (And *happily married* 70-yo grandfathers at that.)

Right, so then it's your grandmother who is a very lucky woman. :ohwell: I'm off to tend to my knitting, or to beleaguer young whippersnappers with my ear trumpet, or something....
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    6835038752_f3f650c966.jpg
    Elizabeth, just to say -

You look beautiful. Your hubby looks great. (Congratulations, BTW :flowerforyou: ) Your wedding looks wonderful, and your dress was just gorgeous.

But I must be showing my age (49 years), because the thing that strikes me most about your pics is that your dad (I'm figuring he's your dad) is a totally scrumptious handsome-cutie! Your mom is a very lucky woman, and any future sons you might choose to have will be lucky handsome boys. :smile:

Thank you!

HAHAH That's my grandfather, and he's almost 70. I'll be sure to tell him that you think he's cute, though my grandmother may have something to say about it. The suit he had on during the wedding was like 3 sizes too large so he was swamped, unfrotunately.
    Okay - I guess you know you're getting old when you find yourself cruising the internet for 70-yo grandfathers. :embarassed: (And *happily married* 70-yo grandfathers at that.)

Right, so then it's your grandmother who is a very lucky woman. :ohwell: I'm off to tend to my knitting, or to beleaguer young whippersnappers with my ear trumpet, or something....

Haha! Well, he is a great guy, and I'm sure he'll apprciate a young lovely lady like you finding him attractive still :smile:
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I get the feeling although I was lucky enough to find my dress quite quickly. I knew I didn't want strapless and I didn't want a traditional gown. I wanted something very light as I'm marrying on the beach.

Ended up spotting a dress on sale in Debenhams which was perfect. Quite grecian on top and a bit flowy at the bottom. Nice and light. Will get it altered a bit to fit more snugly but suits me well. Had no intention of wearing the big dress or paying the big price tag!

Maybe go to more non weddingy shops and look for dresses? Or look online?

Good luck
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think in the end I will have to have it custom made but I'm not giving up the hunt. I started with David's Bridal because my sister in law had a good experience with them for her wedding. Luckily all the girls at work have opinions on where I can go next.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I designed mine...and while this is not a full length photo (and don't ask about my "husband" lol), it will give you a little idea...it basically is fitted bodice, natural waist, full skirt but no train. Simple. The back was lower with a drape that came from the shoulder parts. I still love it even though I'm now getting divorced. If I had really married Johnny, I'm sure I'd still be married. :laugh:

Johnny1.jpg
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Don't give up and don't settle. I'm not usually a picky or high maintenance person but I was super picky about my wedding dress. The result is that I was very happy on my wedding day and I'm so happy every time I look back at my pictures.

I tried both David's and Alfred Angelo. I HATED both places, I didn't like any of their dresses and their staff didn't seem very helpful. Instead, I found a nice bridal boutique that had very fair prices and a great seamstress. They special ordered the dress I wanted and made all the alterations I needed.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I loved my gown and veil. I'm a little more classic and was definitely born into the wrong era. I bought my dress at a store in Burlington, NC called the bridal warehouse or some such. There was no assistant. I went to boutiques too, but preferred the set up of grabbing my own dresses to try on, digging through the racks, and paying a smaller cost because I didn't have to over pay for too many people's salaries and all the accoutrements of a boutique.
    1.jpg

2.jpg
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I loved my gown and veil. I'm a little more classic and was definitely born into the wrong era. I bought my dress at a store in Burlington, NC called the bridal warehouse or some such. There was no assistant. I went to boutiques too, but preferred the set up of grabbing my own dresses to try on, digging through the racks, and paying a smaller cost because I didn't have to over pay for too many people's salaries and all the accoutrements of a boutique.
    1.jpg

2.jpg

Your dress is amazing!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My dress...technically, a bridesmaid dress. I am not really a formal girl.

wedding.jpg
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I actually got a bridesmaid dress as well. It was champagne colored with chocolate brown accents. Off the rack. Much cheaper and WAY more my personality.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I understand the need to look and feel beautiful on your wedding day, but just try to keep things in perspective. It's just one day. It really isn't about your dress, but your love for another person. I like to send this story to my friends who get a little crazy about their wedding/dress planning: http://intimatebridalportraits.com/blog/?p=6608
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

wedding.jpg

Q!!!! You're so damn gorgeous :)
  • odusgolp
    Options

1.jpg

LOVE it, dear. Love it ;)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

wedding.jpg

Q!!!! You're so damn gorgeous :)

Q_Q
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I got my dress the week before I got married due to some internet scamming *kitten* *LOL* Luckily, it fit off the rack and did the trick :) I don't have great pics available, though...

24713_362531587544_535347544_3687038_6679254_n.jpg

24713_362531597544_535347544_3687040_4438230_n.jpg
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

wedding.jpg

Beautious!