Would this be acceptable to you?

Options

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I've been told my lipstick is shiny because it has fish scales in it, and I still swab that stuff on multiple times per day. Even knowing it is wood, I don't think it would bother me in the least.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    honestly, it wouldn't bother me. i can't be bothered wasting my precious time worrying about what is good for me, what is going to cause me cancer etc. there are thousands of things that are going to kill us, it's almost like a race to figure out which is going to do it first...

if i like it, and it's not going to make me fat, that's a plus.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Completely unacceptable. I try to eat real food and this does not qualify. The same people who bought potato chips with Olestra and eat Fiber One brownies will probably be all over this should it come to market.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    No.
    I'm trying to stay away from food 'products' and I got off the low-fat bandwagon years ago.
    I like to eat real food within my calorie limits and no longer rely on gimmicks.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I've been told my lipstick is shiny because it has fish scales in it, and I still swab that stuff on multiple times per day. Even knowing it is wood, I don't think it would bother me in the least.

so if your skin looks all pail, hair starts falling out, and you have mineral deficiencies you wouldn't care?

Keep in mind that I wouldn't reduce my diet to ONLY foods containing this product. I eat a balanced diet with the processed foods thrown in. So I probably wouldn't experience any of the side effects you mentioned. There's room for a little of everything in my diet. :)
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Nope, wouldn't eat it.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Would I eat it? No.

Do I know that there are thousands of people that are horribly over weight that sit and post on facebook how they have no time to exercise that would love this product, even if it does kill them, why yes, yes I do.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'd have to have more information.

This reminds me of the fat substitute "they" tried to foist on us 15 or 20 years ago. I forget the name. It was basically an undigestible fat that could be used in high fat foods like potato chips. Unfortunately all that undigested fat lubricated the colon so well that people experienced "anal leakage." The products had to include that on the label as a common "side effect." For some reason, the stuff never caught on!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    is this a GMO type thing or more of an additive to processed foods?

either way...I'm trying to eat clean and don't like all these new fancy schmancy things they are trying to do to food. Stuff doesn't even taste the same as I remember when I was a kid.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Olestra or Olean. That was the stuff.
  • mcointreau
    Options
    cellulose (wood) is already in a major amount of foods at the store as a cheap replacement for fibers. Not quite seeing the big difference...
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Probably not.

Where on the ingredient listing would this mystery-product be? If it's in the top half of the ingredient list, definitely not. If it's one of the last few ingredients (where color additives and preservatives go) I may.

Basically, if it's made/modified in the lab....I don't want it to be a primary ingredient in what I eat.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but isn't lignin in, or it is Flax Seed - which is good for you. If that's the case, then I don't have a problem w/it. I currently put flax seed on my cereal, in my yogurt, etc. Next time I am baking something I will add it to that as well. Flax seed helps lower cholesteral, and reduces inflamation & is good for overall health. Someone correct me if I am wrong about lignin & flax seed. Thank you.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    To be honest no. Why? I don't do diet food and I have a feeling this would be marketed as such.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    just because something is low in calories doesnt mean it is good for you or has nutritional value

^ this
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    cellulose (wood) is already in a major amount of foods at the store as a cheap replacement for fibers. Not quite seeing the big difference...
    From what I could gleam about lignin in a quick search, it sounds like it would function similarly. Not digestable and just filler. The function may be mostly in texture of the product?

It wouldn't bother me as being dangerous, but if I'm buying food I'd like to get food for my money, not fillers...

edit: Looks like it wouldn't be in what I buy anyway since I don't do diet foods (except soda). I'd rather have real fat and enjoy it in moderation. The fake stuff is just never quite right.
  • PrincessMiriamele
    PrincessMiriamele Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Does not bother me that it is wood. I eat other plant based items like vegetables...

I eat cinnamon too and that is from tree bark...?
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    In a word.....no, not if I realised what it was and thought about it a bit.

I often post on the "miracle noodle" threads that I worry about the concept of "food-like-substances" with no nutritional value (yes I have read Micheal Pollan!).

It seems that we are turning into creatures who are so obsessed with self-pleasuring (in this instance I'm talking about food!) and immediate gratification that we are prepare to pay good money for something that satisfies our desire to eat but provides us with no (or very little) nutrition.

We feel smug because we have eaten a BIG plate of noodles or a whole pint of icecream or a jarful of chocolate spead and they have added almost nothing to our calorie intake for the day.

This completely misses the point that calories are energy, they are fuel, they are what keeps us alive. It encourages an unhealthy relationship with food. Instead of learning about good food choices and what a reasonable sized portion looks like, we get to "cheat the system" by eating a huge portion but not getting much energy from it. It seems to me that this can only contribute to fatter, more unhealthy humans. I've read about people who are obese yet malnourished and this is exactly the kind of product to keep them that way.

It's not that I think everyone has to eat "clean" all the time, but processing food to the point where it is barely food and the key ingredient (I'm thinking of the noodles here) has no nutitional value or energy at all.... it's just leading us in entirely the wrong direction.

Sorry to rant at you, but this topic really pushes my buttons!
    I'd love your response to this... am I missing something critical here? Is there any research you can point me to that shows that I'm wrong? I'd love to hear it!

Very well said. Can't add another thing to this post. My answer would also be a resounding NO.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    lignin can't be digested by animals. that being said, it is found in the cell walls of vascular plants. it is also present in algaes, which can commonly be used for toothpaste. however, it is resistant to degradation, I believe it is one of the last things left in a plant when a plant dies and decomposes. there are certain vitamins that just go through our system without the aid of other vitamins (calcium and vitamin d for example), but I'm not 100% certain on if there would be an effect of putting something animal enzymes don't break down into our bodies. that's probably why it's very low in calories though. but since it's found in vascular plants, I would say it's probably pretty likely we already ingest amounts of lignin to start. red algae has lignin and is used for sushi, so some people do already eat it. I'm not sure what higher doses would do on a system though.

also, lignin IS naturally occuring, plants need it to survive. THAT being said, arsenic and asbestos are naturally occuring too.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    These are some common uses for lignin now.

ligninapplications.gif