Which is worse? Reg soda or diet?

Options

Replies

• btwalker99
    btwalker99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Question: If drinking diet soda is bad because of the aspertane, then why is it okay to drink the flavored waters - they contain aspertane as well. Can anyone clarify that?
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    Question: If drinking diet soda is bad because of the aspertane, then why is it okay to drink the flavored waters - they contain aspertane as well. Can anyone clarify that?

agree. i wish someone would clarify as well.
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Its not if you're trying to avoid aspartame. There are flavored waters that don't contain chemicals though like La Croix or flavoring your own waters.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Why drink something you don't like? There's nothing wrong with soda. It's too much soda that's the problem.

Exactly. I gave up diet coke (and all artificial sweeteners) about 7 years ago after having horrible stomach issues for years and years. They diagnosed me with everything from celiac disease to IBS to Chrons and turns out it was "just" the fake sugar eating away at my stomach lining. Gross, I know. So, I'd strongly discourage you from switching to diet just to keep drinking soda. Make your coke a treat, and add in lots of naturally flavored seltzers. Or get a soda stream and make yummy flavored waters yourself!
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    I don't have a source for this but I heard the aspartame in diet soft drinks causes bigger midsections... the study compared regular drinkers of full sugar soft drinks to the diet drinkers and the diet drinkers had bigger waistlines, on average.

that being said I drink diet pepsi/coke when I do drink soft drinks (Which isnt too often anyway) I just prefer the taste
  • Erie85
    Erie85 Posts: 4
    Options
    I think you should drink a can of regular soda every once in a while just to satisfy the craving...maybe treat yourself to a can once or twice a month. For the rest of the month I would recommend different flavors of the Crystal Light 5 calorie packets if you want to add flavor to your water.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I think its a personal preference ultimately. The science on the effect of diet coke, specially artificial sweeteners, on your body is debatable at best. They're not good for you, but there's debate over whether or not they have any serious long term effects. There are lot of anecdotes running around about how diet soda makes you gain weight but for every one of those there is another where it doesn't. I am in the doesn't category. I stopped drinking diet coke for lent about 3 weeks ago. Zero change in my body because of it, and I didn't substitute my usual cokes with anything besides water.

I personally would rather have aspertane in my system in than refined sugar but that's for you to decide.

Also...I have tales of a natural "diet" soda sweetened with stevia. Never tried it but its something to look into.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I don't have a source for this but I heard the aspartame in diet soft drinks causes bigger midsections... the study compared regular drinkers of full sugar soft drinks to the diet drinkers and the diet drinkers had bigger waistlines, on average.

that being said I drink diet pepsi/coke when I do drink soft drinks (Which isnt too often anyway) I just prefer the taste

Correlation is not causation. This is extremely important to remember in these debates.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Diet = Chemically processed artificial sweetners that have been proven to slow metabolism and make people eat more.

This is a flat out lie. There is no study that shows that people who drink diet soda weigh more. There are studies that show that people who weigh more drink diet soda. Correlation is not causation.

Until there is a study that accounts for calories control while drinking diet soda then those studies prove nothing.

I would probably agree with this. I dont even know the last time I drank a regular coke...I've always preferred diet. I have always lost weight. Only gaining during my pregnancies.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4271246&page=1#.T2Ci-3nEPIU

edit to proper placement
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    A diet that gives you ansiety will fail!!!

My suggestion:
    6 days a week do not drink soda at all...only water, tea, natural juice (the good choices)
    1 day of the week, for example, saturday or sunday, drink one soda, only one and not 1liter...1 glass
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options

I stay away from the flavored waters that contain any artificial sweeteners. There are several out there that have no calories and no artificial sweeteners. Syfo is my favorite, plus it's incredibly inexpensive. :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there has been one documented death from drinking soda. If so, I'd say it was drinking the extra calories in regular.

Go with diet. If you don't like it try some of the flavored waters. I like Propel. Grape is yummy!
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Dr. Oz had a segment on the other day and he recommended that you mix 1/2 soda with 1/2 seltzer for less calories and/or trying to wean yourself off of soda. Or maybe mix 1/2 diet with 1/2 regular to get less calories overall??

Hope that helps!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

If you read the actual study you'll find that the rate were fed yoghurt with saccharine. No diet soft drink has saccharine in it.

So that article proves what about diet soda please?
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz had a segment on the other day and he recommended that you mix 1/2 soda with 1/2 seltzer for less calories and/or trying to wean yourself off of soda. Or maybe mix 1/2 diet with 1/2 regular to get less calories overall??

Hope that helps!

OMG. I keep saying - I love the taste of Coke, but I wish they'd put half the sugar in it b/c it is SO sweet. (I just want a little sweet and a lot of bubbles!) This is a freakin' brilliant idea. I will have to try the next time a coke craving hits.

Usually I do 12 oz. of seltzer to 4 oz. 100% cranberry juice (sometimes even less juice) and that satisfies by bubbly drink craving.
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    Diet = Chemically processed artificial sweetners that have been proven to slow metabolism and make people eat more.

This is a flat out lie. There is no study that shows that people who drink diet soda weigh more. There are studies that show that people who weigh more drink diet soda. Correlation is not causation.

Until there is a study that accounts for calories control while drinking diet soda then those studies prove nothing.

I would probably agree with this. I dont even know the last time I drank a regular coke...I've always preferred diet. I have always lost weight. Only gaining during my pregnancies.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4271246&page=1#.T2Ci-3nEPIU

edit to proper placement

This article specifically states more research needs to be done. And I find it to be a load of crap...or I would be 100 pounds overweight if artificial sweetners caused weight gain.

There are so many studies done on the foods we eat, no wonder people get confused and dont know how to eat properly. There was a study done on eggs causing prostate cancer in men...or in 1990 when meat was linked to cancer...Eat what you want in moderation. Exercise. Enjoy life.
  • Tbowman30
    Tbowman30 Posts: 16
    Options
    In honesty if you know your gonna drink reg soda again eventually then you might as well have your one can every morning and just try to keep it at that minimum.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    One can of Coca-Cola per day is 10 pounds of weight a year. You decide.

p
    If you cut it out completely and don't substitute the calories for something else. Math only works if those lost calories stay lost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Both are equally bad.

Regular = empty calories ... all sugar
    I'd like to see the peer reviewed clinical studies that prove that latter. Almost all "proved" allegations are correlations and not causations.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Because flavored water is more "natural". Lol.

IDEA Fitness member