Which is worse? Reg soda or diet?

Options

Replies

• babyblooeyes
    babyblooeyes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis among other autoimmune issues. I recently decreased my soda to once a day and then decided to get rid of regular coke altogether but after a couple days of drinking 1-2 diet sodas a day my fatigue worsened as did the severe joint pain. I have since switched back to 1 regular coke per day with no problems and I continue to lose weight as long as I calculate those calories in. I also like the pick me up it gives me either before or after an intense work out.

Theresa

Also, you can get the real sugar version at Fresh Market and Whole Foods too I think.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    two pages and no one's given the correct answer.

the answer is: neither.

(because neither is bad to start off ... food and drink, in and of themselves, are neither bad nor good.)
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I avoid both. When my twins were born and we were getting no sleep, I was drinking a fair amount of Diet Coke to stay awake at work, and I had tremendous headaches. I switched to regular Coke and the headaches went away. That convinced me that the artificial sweeteners they use are not good for us. Of course the regular Coke is a lot of calories with no nutrition. If you are on here and watching your calories, it's hard to justify using that many calories out of your daily allotment and getting no nutrition out of it. 22 months ago I stopped drinking regular Coke, and haven't had one since, and I do think that's helped me in the battle to lose weight.
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Both
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you want to drink soda, drink regular. Do not drink diet.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I think its a personal preference ultimately. The science on the effect of diet coke, specially artificial sweeteners, on your body is debatable at best. They're not good for you, but there's debate over whether or not they have any serious long term effects. There are lot of anecdotes running around about how diet soda makes you gain weight but for every one of those there is another where it doesn't. I am in the doesn't category. I stopped drinking diet coke for lent about 3 weeks ago. Zero change in my body because of it, and I didn't substitute my usual cokes with anything besides water.

I personally would rather have aspertane in my system in than refined sugar but that's for you to decide.

Also...I have tales of a natural "diet" soda sweetened with stevia. Never tried it but its something to look into.
    The natural diet soda is zevia, sold at whole foods and some health food stores, there's a locator on their site. In addition to swapping the sugar for stevia, erithritol and xylitol they also have no artificial colors or flavors. I've tried several kinds and They're good, the cola doesn't taste like coke really it's a little sweeter. Cons: they're pricey because its a small indepedant company not a mega company like coke or pepsi, also if you're sensative to sugar alcohols if you have too much the xylitol and erithritol can give you gas, and way too much can cause diarrhea!!
    I buy a case whenever I'm at my local health food store to he vitamins and drink one or two a week as a treat and drink la croix sparkling water daily (just found it in coconut at target! Yum!)
  • Monicaraby
    Options
    Honestly, if I wanted soda I would drink a regular one. I would never make myself eat or drink something I am not going to drink for life. That's just like with rice and bread. I still eat white, but I now eat a portion of it instead of just piling my plate. Measuring cups, spoons and food scale is my best friend now. This is a life change so I don't do "diet" food.

:bigsmile:
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am of two minds on this: (1) I hate to DRINK my calories, so on the occasion that I have a soda, it is a Diet Coke (I too am a Coca Cola fan). But I hate the taste of aspartame and Splenda, so I usually stick to water or tea. (2) I have cut WAY back on high fructose corn syrup (lost 10 lbs just doing that!), so I don't drink the regular Coke. I look for the Coke that has real sugar in it - since your body knows how to register and digest real sugar I think that is the better option. These are treats ONLY (like real ice cream) - so I don't stock them at the house. If I want one, I have to get off my butt and go to the store to buy one - that alone eliminates most of the craving :-)
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Stay away from soda period if you can. That has been one of my biggest obstacles (snacks are next). I have been 99% soda free since January and everyday was a struggle. I had to literally yell at myself not to order soda or buy it from the store. I switch to hot tea in the mornings and play around with the flavors. I then gradually have decreased the sugar I put into it and now have converted to honey since it is much healthier. Now when I break down and take a swig of pop it doesn't feel satisfying at all and is way too sweet. You will get there but you have to force yourself to take a break a few days at a time until you finally give it up all together.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have a serious Coca Cola addiction, and it was extremely hard for me to make the switch to diet soda. I know neither are good for me, but my question is, am I better off having a can of regular Coke over Diet Coke? I have managed to limit myself to one can in the morning (I'm not a coffee drinker), and am wondering if the sugar in the reg Coke is the lesser of the two evils. Thanks!

I love my Coca Cola. Have stopped drinking soda/pop but sometimes when I want to treat myself I'll just count the calories and have me some fizzy real "Coke". Neither one is "good" for you, but there are a lot of things that aren't.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda all together. I kept telling myself I could have as much diet soda as I wanted. Well thats not true, its not all about "no calorie". I was drinking soda instead of water even. It was difficult to switch but once I decided to I never went back. I only drink water. I have nothing with artifical sweetners in it. Studies have proved over and over how bad it is for you and its stil on the market. Do some research on the effects of soda and it may clear this question up for you. Only drinking water has made a huge difference on my weight loss, bloating, bathroom issues, my skin, my mood, and energy. I always tell people when they ask me about only drinking water- you wouldnt take a bath in dirty water would you?, why are you putting it into your body?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Why drink something you don't like? There's nothing wrong with soda. It's too much soda that's the problem.
    ^ dont listen to that

just stop drinking soda. Kick your addiction because you are strong enough to know that you're an adult that isnt a slave to the desire for sugar. Doit so your kids wont have this problem. Google "What drinking a coke does to your body in an hour".

I know its hard to quit, but nothing worth doing is easy.
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Why drink something you don't like? There's nothing wrong with soda. It's too much soda that's the problem.
    ^ dont listen to that

just stop drinking soda. Kick your addiction because you are strong enough to know that you're an adult that isnt a slave to the desire for sugar. Doit so your kids wont have this problem. Google "What drinking a coke does to your body in an hour".

I know its hard to quit, but nothing worth doing is easy.

don't listen to that 'don't listen to that.'
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    They are both bad. I think diet sodas taste like crap though. They taste like "fake" soda lol... I don't know why anyone would drink them lol. Bleh. If I'm going to have a soda I'm going to have the real thing :-p
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    agreed that generally diet tastes off. the only one I've found that is actually good is diet dr pepper.
  • dillonmerritt
    Options
    I HAD a soda addiciton that I kicked years ago because I CHOSE to and I WANTED to. It's mind over matter. If you choose to lose to your addicitons, it's a consequence you have to deal with. The only ones who gain in your addiction are the soda companies getting rich off your addition while the addiciton slowly corrodes your blood vessels and the sugar coats them with heart-attack causing plaque. Also, the acidity of sodas is very close to the acidity of a car battery. Try to kick caffiene completely, your body will thank you and will provide you the energy you need naturally if you just eat and drink the right foods. What you give to your body is what your body gives back to you. You can either put sugary junk in it or you can put good foods and raw fruit juices into it. Soda has absolutely NO nutritional value. The goals of this website are to promote nutrition. I can't even believe this is a topic on this site. Soda?? Seriously? lol:laugh:
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Its all about moderation, right? I like soda but they can be addicting (gave up all soda for lent - yikes!). I think it is preference. If you are going to drink something that "isn't good for you" you might as well like it. Some people love diet, not me. I like regular and if I can make it fit in my calories I will. To me the taste of diet (and my distrust and dislike of fake sugar) aren't worth saving the 140-170 calories per 12oz can.

i also gave up pop for lent! it's been rough. i'm drinking tea like a fish now! haha. i agree about moderation though. drink whatever you like as long as its just once a day or a few times a week. i used to only like regular pop, then switched to diet and now, mentally, i could never go back to regular. i agree with the whole theory of i'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • fatmama4
    fatmama4 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, for the great facts and opinions. I know I shouldn't drink either one, but for now, cutting back to 1/day is what I'm going to do. That is, until the last 10 cans are gone, then I'll try not stocking it in the house. :-D