How to make oatmeal more filling, under 220 cals?

Options
I've grown up with the Quaker Instant Oatmeal flavored packages, which I find so yummy and quick because they're pre flavored, but they never keep me full for more than maybe two hours? I'm also not keen on eating a huge caloric load in the morning either. Any ideas for a yummy, filling bowl of oats with around 220 cals at the most?

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    a little bit of walnuts or a banana?
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    I eat one packetof plain oatmeal with a packet of Splenda and chunks of half of a small Gala apple mixed in. Then I eat the other half of the apple throughout the morning. Total calories are 155.

I also switch it up sometimes by making a breakfast sandwich with an Arnold's bagel thin (110 cals) and three egg whites fried in butter flavored cooking spray (51 cals) (I cook the egg whites omlet style and fold it over to fit the bagel thin).
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    By swapping out oatmeal for eggs.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    skip the instant ones and go for quick oats and add your own flavoring, this way you get less sugar and calories from the sugar, so you can have a larger bowl which will keep you full longer.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I know Instant oatmeal is fast, but I stopped using instant oatmeal and use the Old Fashioned Whole Oats, and have a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon in it and have a two egg white omelet with mine. It keeps me full longer when I pair it with the eggs.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    By swapping out oatmeal for eggs.

Amen!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The reason they only keep you full for 2 hours is because they aren't very big.

Eat more of it. It's oat-so-simple.

I know you say you're not keen on a huge caloric load - but come on, we're talking about oats here. The calories are minimal.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I use proper porridge oats rather than the instant mix and make it up with water. This is 180kcals. I'm then not very healthy and add ground cinnamon and golden caster sugar (42kcals). That bowlful keeps me full til lunchtime!
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't use the packet....Cook your own (1/2 c raw with 1.5 cups of water...cook this with splen,cin & van) it's 150 calories. I add 1/4 cup of Fage Non Fat plain Greek Yogurt with 1 tsp of Apple Butter and splenda, cinnamon & vanilla extract to taste :) Yummy!

I've also added the same spices above to pumpkin puree then added that the oatmeal :) Good luck!
  • juliespears
    juliespears Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This also works for me. I make an omelette w/ just egg whites (3-4), and add fresh basil, tomato and other veggies. I also use the whole oats on weekdays, and switch it up to the steel cut (takes longer to cook, but much more filling) version on weekends. Sprinkle it with a teeny bit of flax seed and sliced almonds to get some healthy fats in. Yes, it's over 220 cals, but not by much. You won't be as tempted to snack later.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who suggest staying away from instant oatmeal. I use 1/3 cups rolled oats and found that mixing unsweetened applesauce to my oatmeal makes it more falvorful and increases the volume of my breakfast without adding many calories. I also add cinnamon and ground flax.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Try the old fashioned rolled oats instead. I find those much more nourishing than the instant ones, and it takes only 5 min to cook them on top of the stove. Put in 1 cup of water, 3 tablespoons of rolled oats and boil until the right consistency is reached.

I like adding 1/2 cup of wild blueberries and 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seed (155 cai), and eating the whole with 2 tablespoons of 0% Greek yogurt.

That gives me a base for the day. But even if you don't want to add that, I'm sure that you will find the switch to the whole grain instead of the processed alternative to be much more filling and nourishing.
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Me too! Porriage oats and water, but also a splash of milk (but no more than 100ml) I also eat an apple with it, sometimes needs a snack around 11 but generally keeps me full.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I use Better Oats Organic Raw Pure & Simple Multigrain Hot Cereal With Flax and add 1/2 a cup of blueberries some cinnamon, splenda and a splash of fat free milk. Ends up 224 calories and is filling and much better for you then the flavored prepackaged oatmeal. I also usually add some scrambled egg whites on the side and for just over 300 calories I have a filling high protein breakfast.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I prefer Ready Brek. 112kcal per 30g bowl. I use Skimmed Milk and Sweetener. I also add some Blueberries which are low in sugar and calories. This comes to about 180kcal or so. Cereal isn't filling to be honest, that's why I try to have a snack in between breakfast and lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like instant steel cut oats with a scoop of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) for added protein.

Other possibilities:

Stir in protein powder after cooking

Substitute milk for the water, makes it creamier & adds protein

Quaker makes "higher fiber" oats & also a "weight control" version. The weight control version has added soy protein .... I think it has an aftertaste

Kashi makes oatmeal too, a lot of their cereals are higher protein ..... maybe the oats are too?

By the way "rolled" oats are also instant oats. Non-instant oats need to cook for 20 minutes. ....
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I eat HMR hote cereal with chopped apples or berries and 2 tbsp. of PB2 mixed in. The PB2 seems to do it for me. The HMR meals are great in general.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    canyoustayfordinner.com
    she has a recipe for oatmeal that makes it way more filling, involves eggs
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat those almost daily. I put bananas or strawberries in my bowl