Do you notice what everyone is eating?

Options
I work at a convenience store and I notice everything people are eating. Some people buy for breakfast calorie wise what I eat the for the entire day (Ex. Jumbo honey bun 770 and a liter of coke 420). I also notice what my friends eat when we go out and how they have to hit close to 2000 in one meal. I don't say anything and I'm not judging, I use to be there, but I'm just curious if since you changed your eating habits if you notice every thing food wise around you.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm more aware of it.

I do, however, resist the urge to judge a persons entire diet based on one snapshot. For example, that pint of ice cream I ate last night could have easily given someone the wrong impression.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yes, I notice too. Once you change your ways, the cashiers at the grocery store will notice what you purchase and will comment on how healthy you eat. Happens to hubby and me all the time! Love it when that happens.......
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I always notice what others have when checking out at the grocery store. I was just telling hubby, I'm kinda proud 90% of our cart is healthy food. Occasionally buy the kids a special treat but very little junk food in our house.
  • bella51708
    Options
    Yes, I definitley notice. I much more aware of calories in fast food items and when I see people ordering these huge burgers and fries with basically a liter of soda, I cringe. I use to be there too, but I just want to run up to them and make them aware of how many calories they are eating. The only thing I get at fast food places is salads and I try to avoid those, but if I'm in a group and they choose McD's, I just go for the grilled chicken salad.

I also notice how fast people eat. One of my weight loss strategies is to slow down, chew properly, and judge my fullness before the next bite. Then I see my husband scarfing huge bites into his mouth one after another and it kind of makes me ill. I would never say anything to him or judge him, but I'm much more aware of his eating habits now than I was before.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was at a restaurant over the weekend and was watching other people's meals.. I kept thinking "do you know how many calories are in that?" I guess my mind is set on the calories of everything---whether I am eating it or not!!!!!
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have noticed and its really bad, I have to stop myself saying stuff all the time.

I have always bought fresh food though and I get quite preachy about always cooking fresh food rather than having processed stuff.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have totally noticed! My extended family (3 sisters, 2 brothers and step dad) have the worst diets! They eat mostly all beef, everyday, and when they cook vegetables, they cook half the amount I would cook for my immediate family!! (just me and my two kids ages seven and two most of the time....hubby works away). So they all sit down to these giant fried carnivore meals and wonder why they're ALL starting to have health problems and get thicker!?! Really? You have NO IDEA why you're gaining weight and have health issues?? REALLY? Sooo frustrating!
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I notice what my boyfriend and his son eat, I don't really pay attention to everyone else. My boyfriends son is only seven and all about eating healthy. lol It's really cute. He still has candy from Halloween and Christmas that hasn't been touched in his desk. We will be at the store and I'll ask if he wants anything at the house for a snack, 45 minutes later of him saying "well THIS is unhealthy too" we buy a bunch of fruit and I make him fruit leather. lol My boyfriend isn't that bad, once in a while he'll get fast food, but he's in school all the time and the only thing around Kettering is fast food joints. His father has diabetes and cholesterol issues, as does is brother, his brother is only 43. He is stubborn but is sweet enough to humor my worries by switching up some things in his daily intake. I love my family and I want them around as long as possible darn it!! lol
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I always notice what others have when checking out at the grocery store. I was just telling hubby, I'm kinda proud 90% of our cart is healthy food. Occasionally buy the kids a special treat but very little junk food in our house.

Yes! This is me as well. I do notice. I try really hard not to judge and never ever would say anything. It does break my heart when I see a cart overflowing with junk and no fresh foods at all especially when I see they have kids, breaks my heart even more if that whole family is overweight especially the kids.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I do, however, resist the urge to judge a persons entire diet based on one snapshot. For example, that pint of ice cream I ate last night could have easily given someone the wrong impression.

I agree. I eat well 95% of the time but there are meals where I throw caution to the wind. I certainly wouldn't want someone judging me for that one meal.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

I agree. I eat well 95% of the time but there are meals where I throw caution to the wind. I certainly wouldn't want someone judging me for that one meal.

I'm not judging anyone, I was just using that as an example. No one eats perfect all the time, I was just asking if people are more aware of what others eat.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I was at a restaurant over the weekend and was watching other people's meals.. I kept thinking "do you know how many calories are in that?" I guess my mind is set on the calories of everything---whether I am eating it or not!!!!!

I think that all the time but then I think if someone had come up to me one day when I'm eating and said that I would just be like GTF, I'm having dinner.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    oh ya totally.. I was out for lunch with a friend and we went to the olive garden. i had bread sticks and salad and i was still over 800 cals for lunch.. she had shrimp scampi and tour of Italy yet with bread sticks and salad! i was like WOW in my head... i can't even imagine how many calories were in all of that! but i don't judge, she had always been a bigger eater then me and doesn't gain like me either and yet she is tiny.. 4 ft 11 and 112 lbs... so good for her but i could never get away with that!
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes, now I do. It blows my mind the amount of calories people take in and knowing just 6 months ago I was doing the same exact thing. I knew but didn't really know if that makes sense. It is the society we live in with fast unhealthy food. Even with eating out the healthier low cal meals are scarce on the menu.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Yep all the time. Whenever a member of my family goes to the fridge or cupboard for a 'snack' i cringe because i know they're getting something like a chocolate bar all the time and i just want to scream. Same as when i go to the shop with my friends at lunch times and they buy loads of junk...its not a rarity either they do it all the time and it annoys the hell out of me because they don't realise what they're consuming....I can't judge though because i used to be like that and if it wasn't for MFP i'd still be doing it or not eating at all!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Since I first started dieting a couple of years ago, I've become so good at guessing calories in food. Now it's like a game. Unfortunately it sometimes ruins my meal, even if I'm not on a diet.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Increasingly more aware. While I never judge, I've lost my appetite completely a couple of times after watching what others around me scarfed down.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I live on an island that is a tennis and golf resort. The people who live here are in pretty darn good shape, and most are retired or semi-retired, some well into their 70's and 80's. Shopping carts look pretty "trim" to me. When the tourist season kicks in, that's when the carts are jacked up with calories.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Increasingly more aware. While I never judge, I've lost my appetite completely a couple of times after watching what others around me scarfed down.

I can relate. While I've never lost my appitite, I have refused and just waited until I could make something better. Like a friend of mine goes to mcdonalds every morning and a lot of afternoons when we hang out. I usually eat before I see her and always cook dinner so I don't have to worry about what to have for dinner.
  • brandyquinn918
    Options
    I think that when you do something like MFP it makes you more aware of portion sizes and calorie content. You cant help but notice. I had to take a break from MFP for awhile because I got so obe\sessed with sizes and calories. It really wasnt healthy. Had to adjust some thinking before I came back around. But yes you just automatically notice.