Gym Prices??

Options
I recently looked into joining a gym near my house and I was shocked when I was told that it's almost $80/month!! Is this a normal price, or is this gym just charging a lot??

Replies

• savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Is that for one person or a family? I have been with my gym since 2004 and I pay $25 bucks. I think that is a lot of money. Did you ask if they have any discounts?
  • Kellster30
    Kellster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That's for one person. The gym just opened in January and they had a special if you signed up before they opened, but now they just have their "normal" pricing.
  • kayla7303
    kayla7303 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I go to the YMCA for me its $18, but I only have to pay $7.50 because they gave me a discount..(:
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I pay $49 a month
  • jtallwood
    jtallwood Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I pay 30$ a month and I can go to unlimited class (bootcamp, step, zumba, etc.)
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My gym is $31 a month, including towel service.
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    I was told something like $100 down and $60/month..when i looked at them like they were crazy the price dropped to $50 down and $30 a month.

I said thanks and got up and left. They called me at home, the price changed to $40 down and $20 a month. When i went in to sign up they tried to sneak in a $60 "processing fee".

I was hesitant to join that particular gym to being with, so I still haven't signed up with them. Sometimes what you pay seems to come down to how well you can negotiate and/or what specials they're running.

I was told that the best time to get good prices is Dec/Jan and May/June.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    We have a family Y membership. It is about $950 a year I think. I think that is a bit much considering you have to pay extra for swim lessons and some other things. But I go often so get my money's worth. Also, any place that has a pool will be much more. Planet fitness is pretty cheap, like $20 - $30 month I think. No pool though.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Never heard of Y for less than $20/mo even for individual, but they do have sliding fees if you don't make a lot.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    That is alot to pay. I go to 24 Hr Fitness and pay $30 a month to be able to go to ANY 24 Hr Fitness!! They also have a lesser priced one for $25 a month for just going to 1 location. We also have one nearby that is even less at $10 a month, but its just for their one place....yeah, there are cheaper places out there to go to that have what you need.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i pay $24 by weekly..
  • littleblueallie
    littleblueallie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I pay about 40$ a month, with unlimited classes. Also, I didn't want to sign a contract, so that raised my price a little, and I also have the feature that I can go to ANY of this particular gym, rather than just the one location.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mine is $25. The best time to join a gym is in the summer. Many gyms change their rates based on the time of the year, particularly the national gyms like LA Fitness and 24 Hour. EVERYONE is trying to join a gym right now, so they might have deals on the initiation fee, but the monthly rates are high. The YMCA is good because a lot of them have income based rates.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I recently looked into joining a gym near my house and I was shocked when I was told that it's almost $80/month!! Is this a normal price, or is this gym just charging a lot??

well what are they offering for that? No two gyms are the same.

I pay $35 for a gym that has an indoor pool, indoor basketball court, studios, spinning, kids care and a pretty decent weight section.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I pay $29.99 a month and that gives me access to two different levels of gyms that 24 Hour Fitness have (there are two upper levels that I could add full access to for $10, but since all I use are ARC trainers and treadmills, I don't care about the upper level places with juice bars and larger rooms for classes and stuff). Plus there are multiple gym locations in my area open the true 24 hours, so I can always hit the gym, no matter what time I need to.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    That does sound a little steep. My gym membership (back when I had it) was $50 a month.

A gym membership at our new multiplex (which includes access to the gym, indoor running track, swimming pool and skating rink) is $400 a year!

If I were you I'd see if there are other gyms in the area and do some price comparison.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I pay about 40 a month for towel service, unlimited classes, spinning, boxing ring and kick boxing area and I can go to any of the gyms which works out since I have one a mile from work and another one 5 miles from home.
  • ggreid1
    ggreid1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look and see if there is a Planet Fitness in your area. It's only $10/mth.
    Sorry I just looked at your location. I don't believe they are in that area yet :(
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    That's quite a bit. Those prices are always negotiable, usually depending on how much you want to pay up front and how long you're willing to sign a contract for.

Mine was $100 down and $20 a month (I'm a member at Gold's Gym). If you plan on being at that gym long term, I suggest you negotiate a lower monthly and pay a bit more upfront. It'll save you more money in the end.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I go to an LA Fitness in my area and pay $29.99/month and that allows me to go to any location I want