Gym Prices??

Options

Replies

• thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness. I signed up for $1 and my monthly fee is $10.

I should add that PF doesn't have a pool, which is fine with me since I wouldn't use it, but it's something to take into consideration. Here there is another gym called Fitness Connection and it's also $10 a month.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I go to american family fitness and it's 60 dollars month to month, 50 dollars a month if you sign up for a year and 40 dollars a month if you sign up for 3 years. that's for just me. it includes the pool, all their classes, hot tub type pool, and sauna/steam room. showers and lockers. I think it's worth it because they have a lot of classes I like and they are 24 hours. trainers cost extra, and a few of their special programs cost extra but thats it.
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    My gym charged $30 a month per person and $15 a month for any person that joins the account after you. That included a very decent weight selection, all of their free classes (yoga, pilates, weight training, cardio, spinning, piloxing etc.), great cardio equipment, child care and unlimited tanning. It was perfect. It was just small family run gym which I think is why the price was so great. I am sad that I moved to far away to use it. :(
  • jeepdude56
    jeepdude56 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness - $29 to join, and $20 per month - get use of any franchise facility besides your home gym, tanning, and you can bring a guest each visit for no additional cost. 24 hours a day, staffed ....cha ching !
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    in the uk some gyms charge up to £80 a month! mine is £30 and that's a cheap one!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I pay $27 for a family membership (me and my husband) to my YMCA on a reduced rate, that is the reduced fee I think its about $30-40 a person if you don't get the reduced income rate.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It's crazy how much some gyms cost. Here's what I've seen in my area (Baltimore)

$10-$20 (Planet Fitness)
    $59 - YMCA (!!)
    $24 & Up - Gold's Gym (depending on specials/when you joined)
    $39 (FIT!)
    $69 (MAC)

And this is all for ONE person. I know the YMCA has a family plan as well. I think it was around $79.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That is the one drawback of the Y, if you aren't low income, you are effectively subsidizing all those who are. Our location is in a fairly low income neighborhood so we are probably one of the few families paying full price, but they recently redid most of the interior and the facilities and equipment are all really nice, though not nearly as large as some of the suburban Ys.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Agreed that you should only pay for what you're going to use - no point in paying for a pool if you're not going to use it.

I would also suggest that you go look around at any place you're considering a couple of times,and ask to meet trainer(s), especially if you're going to commit to a longer term contract. You may decide that the place with the spanking clean locker room, roomy showers, and the trainer you liked is worth paying more for than the place where you end up having to go home to take a shower because the ones at the gym are so grungy.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I pay $27/month for 24 hour fitness. Its great cause I'm a night owl.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Another thought. Inquire how often the equipment and machines are updated and/or replaced. If they are keeping prices low by using old stuff that constantly breaks down, who cares how much money you save. I've been impressed that every couple of years pretty much every machine at our Y gets replaced with a newer model. It's rare to every have something not working when I'm there.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    That's for one person. The gym just opened in January and they had a special if you signed up before they opened, but now they just have their "normal" pricing.

Where do you live?

I know that in australia it is a lot more expensive than US/UK... here prices range only as low as $50 per month - $100
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would definitely SHOP around unless you will spend more than that amount in gas for a more affordable gym. I go to the YMCA and pay $48 a month. The Y membership fee is based on your income and family size. I joined the Y not for the prices but for the services it offers to the community. I prefer to "donate" to a worthy cause.
  • happygirl2972
    happygirl2972 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Keep looking.. I pay $50.00 a month for 3 people...
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I pay $26/mo which I find to be pretty reasonable (my work's wellness program reimburses you $25/mo for gym fees...can't beat it!). Has everything I need including free classes but nothing super fancy. Cleanliness is questionable from time to time, but you get what you pay for...right?!
  • AnewMe2cor5seventeen
    AnewMe2cor5seventeen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am in Montana so not sure if where you are has one but Fitness 19 has great rates!
  • Kellster30
    Kellster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback everyone!

This particular gym has 2 pools, women's only area, is open 24 hours, includes all fitness classes and aquatic classes, has spa facilities (whirlpool and sauna), a fitness consultation program and Polar Body Age Fitness Assessment Program, and something called a Healthy Living Lecture Series. My friend is a personal trainer there and she said the place is huge and there are always machines available even during peak times.

But still, I think $80/month is a lot. I'll see if I can somehow get a deal...or I'll try to find a cheaper gym that's not too far.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    $80 is high per month. Likely a swank, private gym. Look for a company or other discount and/or seek a more barebones gym. As long as it is clean, safe, and offer classes it should do the trick. Ideally seek a gym with monthly fee no more than $25. Personally I pay $20 per month which includes classes. Without classes it would be $10 per month.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Our Y is 66 a month with a great locker/steam rooom, pool, wights, machines , track ect. We can also take many classes fro free and get up to $40 a month back if we exercise 12 times a month and our insurance particpates.
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That's insane...they must be hurting for memberships...I pay 29.99 and I can visit any LaFitness in the country....:grumble: