Biggest Pet Peeve

Options
What are your biggest pet peeves when it comes to diet/exercise?

Mine is "don't worry, muscle weighs more than fat."

Generally this will go as follows:
Friend 1: Help! I have gained 3 lbs this week. I don't understand.

Friend 2: (trying to make you feel better) "Don't worry. Muscle weighs more than fat. Its probably all muscle.".

No. Nope. Nu-uh. Sorry. ..well maybe..yeah..No. It is not muscle...and even if it were muscle the scale wouldn't reflect it.

1) A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. A pound is a pound. However, muscle is leaner than fat. So if you really did, miraculously and against all logic, exchange 3 lbs of fat for 3 lbs of muscle you would look leaner. But it would not reflect on the scale.

2) It is basically impossible to gain 3 lbs of muscle in a week! You can maybe, maybe gain 15-20 lbs of muscle a year. "According to the Colgan Institute of Nutritional Sciences (located in San Diego, CA) run by Dr Michael Colgan PHD, a leading sport nutritionist explains that in his extensive experience, the most muscle gain he or any of his colleagues have recorded over a year was 18 1/4 lbs." (excerpt from an article on bodybuilding.com - but other sources would concur with this.) So basically if you lift hard, work hard and are very dedicated, you could possibly gain 1-1.5 lbs of muscle a month. But that is probably not the case.

So that 3, 4 or 5 lb gain you are seeing on the scale this week is not all muscle. Sorry. This really just drives me crazy. It takes all the self-control in the world to not retort with this response every time I read "muscle weighs more than fat, don't worry." but I really don't want to be one of "those" people. So I will just vent here instead :)

So yeah, what are your pet peeves?

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    People that get discouraged because of water weight fluctuations.

I wish everyone who started out knew how much of a ***** water weight can be and what it actually means in terms of fat loss, you could still be losing fat but the numbers don't show it and it just gets people down. It sucks.
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    People that get discouraged because of water weight fluctuations.

I wish everyone who started out knew how much of a ***** water weight can be and what it actually means in terms of fat loss, you could still be losing fat but the numbers don't show it and it just gets people down. It sucks.

Amen! This is right up there for me too. I would say #2. I am still guilty of getting discouraged over this on occasion though. Until I drink a gallon of water and lose the water weight :)
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who sincerely thinks that weight loss is a temporary measure that you do to get ready for an event, and after the event is over you should promptly start overeating again. I am not kidding.

I'm losing weight that I've wanted to take off for a few years, but finally got motivated because of my upcoming wedding. I told her that I should reach my goal a few months before the wedding and she asked me, totally seriously, "But if you lose the weight so early, how will you have the willpower to keep it off for the wedding?"

Another one:

"Is it OK to eat 800 calories a day? I am really struggling to eat more than that."

Riiiiight...
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve....my severely obese family who roll their eyes at my fitness and when they are visiting, try with all their might to sabotage me
  • esteelewis
    Options
    I have a friend who sincerely thinks that weight loss is a temporary measure that you do to get ready for an event, and after the event is over you should promptly start overeating again. I am not kidding.

I'm losing weight that I've wanted to take off for a few years, but finally got motivated because of my upcoming wedding. I told her that I should reach my goal a few months before the wedding and she asked me, totally seriously, "But if you lose the weight so early, how will you have the willpower to keep it off for the wedding?"

Yes how will you keep it off!? I mean you will have no reason to maintain your goal weight right? ya know like feeling more confident, happier, healthier...etc..
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Yes how will you keep it off!? I mean you will have no reason to maintain your goal weight right? ya know like feeling more confident, happier, healthier...etc..

LOL yes exactly. At the very least I should gain it back until it's time to go on our first anniversary trip. Then I can lose it again.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Starvation is not a sustainable or healthy weight loss solution.
    In fact, starvation should never be your weight loss solution.

That is my biggest pet peeve. 500-600 calories a day? OH and you're taking a wonder hormone that's going to help your body eat away the 'fat reserves'? I see... right... no thanks, I don't care to pay $60 for the hormone or to follow such a retarded weight loss plan, thank you very much.

My very intelligent friend did the above weight loss plan and managed to convince my roommate to try it to. I just couldn't believe they were willing to inject themselves (yes, it was an injection) with hormones once a day and eat maybe 500 calories a day just to lose weight. It blew my mind.

How can people who are so smart be so incredibly stupid?
  • esteelewis
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve....my severely obese family who roll their eyes at my fitness and when they are visiting, try with all their might to sabotage me

I have noticed this coming up a lot lately. As a severely obese person myself I am guessing a lot goes to insecurity. I am more aware of my weight. If I go out with a friend and order a burger and fries, and they order a salad, I feel like I will get judged by everyone around and would rather they have a burger too. Granted I would never actually sabotage them...and now I am the one that gets the salad while i look longingly at the burger across the restaurant...
    I think its a natural reaction though. Bringing others down because they are doing something you know you should do...but are too lazy or for whatever reason wont do. I am sorry they try to bring you down :(
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Mine is that now every piece of food i look at is a number and I mentally calculate the calorie totals all day long. I almost told a girl (slim, fit, bicyclist) that her protein bar she was about to get was over 400 calories and a ton of sugar. Then I mentally slap myself and remember that i'm way over weight and she would probably look at me like I have two heads if I told her that. Plus, that's really annoying too, when people bigger then you try to give you fitness advice.
  • missmelissav
    Options
    One of mine is when people tell me not to lose to much weight or I will look sick. STOP HATING people lol ;) I am getting healthy. I dont understand how I can look sick. And according to the bmi calculator I am still considered over weight :(
  • esteelewis
    Options
    Mine is that now every piece of food i look at is a number and I mentally calculate the calorie totals all day long. I almost told a girl (slim, fit, bicyclist) that her protein bar she was about to get was over 400 calories and a ton of sugar. Then I mentally slap myself and remember that i'm way over weight and she would probably look at me like I have two heads if I told her that. Plus, that's really annoying too, when people bigger then you try to give you fitness advice.

Ya know part of my wonders about this. I can see how you would not want a bigger person giving advice...since clearly they need to practice what they preach. But at the same time, from personal experience as a bigger person, I am on a weight loss journey and have been for a while. I have made so many mistakes, I read literature on weight loss, diets, calories, exercise, etc..like they are going out of style. It has taken me a lot of time, a lot of mistakes and a lot of reading/research to get to a point where I am on the right track and making a sustainable life change. So sometimes, when someone is struggling or starting out I want to give them advice since I have researched this issue to death. But I always hold myself back because I "am the bigger person giving fitness advice." Interesting thought though :)
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This morning I told my mom that I had finally reached my 50lbs lost mark. I was so freaking happy I could cry. Then she asked what my 'goal weight' was and I told her that according to my height, my weight should be anywhere between 130-150lbs and I'd like to TRY for 150.

Now, I still have 120lbs to go before I even get there, but she says to me, "That's too skinny! You should try for 200lbs and maintain there. It's really hard to get that skinny and stay that way."

So then I told my grandmother our conversation later on and she AGREED with my Mom. "150lbs you'd be too skinny! You'd be nothing but bones!"

Now my Grandma is 150lbs at 5'3 and she is NOT skin and bones. WHY IN THE HECK would she think I would be skin and bones when I'm only two inches taller than her?!

*sighs*
  • JanetGurl
    JanetGurl Posts: 25
    Options
    My pet peeve is how my metabolism is a lazy bum... lol.

Another is how people aim to lose weight in such a short amount of time with supplements, starving themselves and no exercise.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is the way we are constantly bombarded in the media by the latest study about health (like yesterday's about red meat) and then by advertisements for the latest food product or drug. Geeesh......makes my head spin.
  • jaxbeck
    Options

I have noticed this coming up a lot lately. As a severely obese person myself I am guessing a lot goes to insecurity. I am more aware of my weight. If I go out with a friend and order a burger and fries, and they order a salad, I feel like I will get judged by everyone around and would rather they have a burger too. Granted I would never actually sabotage them...and now I am the one that gets the salad while i look longingly at the burger across the restaurant...
    I think its a natural reaction though. Bringing others down because they are doing something you know you should do...but are too lazy or for whatever reason wont do. I am sorry they try to bring you down :(

Thank you & I can understand that! I just wish my mother would see what she is killing herself & try to make some changes. I've tried every gentle push that I can but she won't budge :(
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    This morning I told my mom that I had finally reached my 50lbs lost mark. I was so freaking happy I could cry. Then she asked what my 'goal weight' was and I told her that according to my height, my weight should be anywhere between 130-150lbs and I'd like to TRY for 150.

Now, I still have 120lbs to go before I even get there, but she says to me, "That's too skinny! You should try for 200lbs and maintain there. It's really hard to get that skinny and stay that way."

So then I told my grandmother our conversation later on and she AGREED with my Mom. "150lbs you'd be too skinny! You'd be nothing but bones!"

Now my Grandma is 150lbs at 5'3 and she is NOT skin and bones. WHY IN THE HECK would she think I would be skin and bones when I'm only two inches taller than her?!

*sighs*

I can relate!
  • sixfootaliw
    Options
    My biggest pet peev is definitely my husband. Not generally, but in his response to my efforts to get fitter and healthier.

When I asked him to support my healthy diet he started to quiz me about the source of my poor body image and went on and on about how I shouldn't feel the pressure to conform to a 'norm'. He's right of course, but I know all that already. What really annoys me, and what I don't understand, is that he is over the moon that I am taking up running to get healthy. Why get funny about one healthy change yet be happy about another? It's not like I'm asking him to give up his beer and steaks!

Men! Huh!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    1. "Don't eat back your exercise calories"..... If your tank is empty, and you try to go thirty more miles, you're just not gonna!

2. "You can't eat ________________ on a diet!" yes you can as long as it's moderation and you account for it!

3. "I just can't lose weight." ..... Yes you can. You haven't tried hard enough! Everyone can lose weight with a little will power!

BTW.... I haven't lost any lately cause I'm Pregnant, and I'm not currently trying to lose weight. BUT when my baby gets here, I AM going to lose all the weight that I gain!
  • esteelewis
    Options

Thank you & I can understand that! I just wish my mother would see what she is killing herself & try to make some changes. I've tried every gentle push that I can but she won't budge :(

I learned the hard way...and still learn it...if someone is not ready to change they will not change. Something literally has to "click". I have yo-yo dieted my entire life. It was always with half a heart because I knew I should. But the true desire wasn't there. It wasn't until recently that it finally clicked for me. Now there is no stopping me until I hit 160 :) I really hope it clicks for your mother soon.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is people who are already at a healthy weight wanting to lose more than is safe for their body, and act like it's such a bigger deal than having to lose 100 pounds to get to a healthy weight