Shake Weight

Options

Replies

• Aries4242
    Options
    The Shake Weight IS a weight. So doing the exercise with it is equivalent to that exercise with a dumbell of the same weight. The rapid motion you are doing it in combines a bit of cardio with the training.

Laughing at someone using the shake weight is just rude. It's like laughing at someone who is trying a certain diet. Everyone's body is different and responds to different things. Just because you don't believe in it (and likely have not tried it) does not mean you should undermine what someone else is doing.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    life is like a box of chocolates. shake weights are a silly waste of money shake a soup can if you want..

thats all I got to say bout that.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    life is like a box of chocolates. shake weights are a silly waste of money shake a soup can if you want..

thats all I got to say bout that.

Can you explain how shake weights are a silly waste of money?
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Remember when you found out there is no such thing as Santa Claus? This is similar, kind of.

After returning from a 6 miles jog slog in the great english rain .... this made me smile more than my son handing me a cuppa!

I must admit, I really think that any effort is better than none, but seriously if you really need to lose weight shaking your weight with shake weight seems like a never ever option of working.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Remember when you found out there is no such thing as Santa Claus? This is similar, kind of.

BEST.ANSWER. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Wow what a bunch of RUDE people. Who cares what people like, or what they don't like. If you don't like it, keep to your self. SMH...

A lot of people like to knock things that they have never tried. I don't own a shake weight, but one day I will. The best way to find out how much calories you are burning using your shake weight is to get a Heart Rate Monitor.

Keep up the good work.
    I think lots of people try them just for kicks. I think people are just getting excited over the topic and having fun. And this is very bad advice (hrm). HRMs are accurate for cardio, not weights http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I thought any kind of 'movement' would burn calories. Not that I would ever buy a Shake Weight, but if it's making you MOVE then isn't it also making you burn calories??

But yeah. It is kind of a dumb thing. And I think ever since it was on Ellen's show it's been a big joke.

Anyway, to the original OP: don't feel bad. And ignore the rude people. But for sure when you spend your $$ do the research to make sure it's what you think it is.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I thought any kind of 'movement' would burn calories. Not that I would ever buy a Shake Weight, but if it's making you MOVE then isn't it also making you burn calories??

But yeah. It is kind of a dumb thing. And I think ever since it was on Ellen's show it's been a big joke.

Anyway, to the original OP: don't feel bad. And ignore the rude people. But for sure when you spend your $$ do the research to make sure it's what you think it is.
    Anyone who hasnt seen it on ellen should youtube it. Its great lol
  • AZackery
    Options
    Wow what a bunch of RUDE people. Who cares what people like, or what they don't like. If you don't like it, keep to your self. SMH...

A lot of people like to knock things that they have never tried. I don't own a shake weight, but one day I will. The best way to find out how much calories you are burning using your shake weight is to get a Heart Rate Monitor.

Keep up the good work.
    I think lots of people try them just for kicks. I think people are just getting excited over the topic and having fun. And this is very bad advice (hrm). HRMs are accurate for cardio, not weights http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

I would think that shake weight is cardio. I do Billy's Boot Camp Cardio Sculpt and Tae Bo Ripped Extreme and both workouts are cardio/strength, so are you telling me that I couldn't use a HRM for the workouts?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The fact that people are defending this thing speaks highly about why America has an obesity epidemic.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    If the shake weight burns 20 to 30 calories a minute I'm going to have to start logging "me time".

The arms are some pretty small muscles, shaking a weight for cardio is very ineffective due to this. Also shaking a weight would be working Type I muscles mostly so I don't think it would really tone so much.

As far as diets and different exercise regimes working for different people...well..
    You can choose to be efficient and do what makes sense or you can waste time with goofy diets and goofy exercises.
  • Shellyyy7928
    Shellyyy7928 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Anyone have before and after pictures? Lol
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The fact that people are defending this thing speaks highly about why America has an obesity epidemic.

This..Absolutely this. Time to start inventing :D
  • lifeskittles
    Options

Keep up the good work.

I would think that shake weight is cardio. I do Billy's Boot Camp Cardio Sculpt and Tae Bo Ripped Extreme and both workouts are cardio/strength, so are you telling me that I couldn't use a HRM for the workouts?

I'm confused at how those are at all related...The cardio you mention you do works your whole body but the shake weight you can do sitting on the couch...How on earth is that cardio?
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion...

I bought the shakeweight a couple of years ago. I bought it and used it for a few weeks before I ever saw that it simulated a sexual acitivity. As for a person using it because they are LAZY and obese, that is absurd!! I use it, and I usually workout 70 to 80 minutes a day, 6 days a week with my treadmill and various workout DVDS. Trust me, I am not lazy and my butt does not ever hit the couch during a normal day!! People are not using it to lose fat, they are using it to tone their arms, and I have found that it works for me. I am so tired of everyone's mind automatically going to the gutter on most discussions. Come on people, life is more than dirty sexual references! And speaking of sex, alot of you must have pretty PATHETIC sex lives it you have to do that sort of motion on your partner and can't get the deed done with the appropriate parts of your body!!
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    ^This times a hundred. I feel like I'm being toyed with in this thread.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options

I bought the shakeweight a couple of years ago. I bought it and used it for a few weeks before I ever saw that it simulated a sexual acitivity. As for a person using it because they are LAZY and obese, that is absurd!! I use it, and I usually workout 70 to 80 minutes a day, 6 days a week with my treadmill and various workout DVDS. Trust me, I am not lazy and my butt does not ever hit the couch during a normal day!! People are not using it to lose fat, they are using it to tone their arms, and I have found that it works for me. I am so tired of everyone's mind automatically going to the gutter on most discussions. Come on people, life is more than dirty sexual references! And speaking of sex, alot of you must have pretty PATHETIC sex lives it you have to do that sort of motion on your partner and can't get the deed done with the appropriate parts of your body!!

Me and my hand take offense at your statement
  • lifeskittles
    Options

Life is more than dirty sexual references? Kidding...But this is because as a generalization, Americans are fat...and have dirty minds :P
  • AZackery
    Options

Keep up the good work.

I'm confused at how those are at all related...The cardio you mention you do works your whole body but the shake weight you can do sitting on the couch...How on earth is that cardio?

What kind of cardio exercises can a person do sitting down?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    if you pretend to shake salt in your mouth, you will actually taste salt. try it.

a lot like using a shake weight.. isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.