Other factors affecting weightloss?

Options
13»

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    thyroid is important, your fasting insulin level, your cells ability to respond to the insulin properly, hormones in terms of the adrenal hormones that help breakdown fats.

women have it a bit harder due to physiological differences(smaller thyroid output, different concentrations of alpha and beta adrenoreceptors on fat cells in stubborn areas).

Blood flow is also a big factor in fat mobilization, along with DIET, which is probably one of the most important factors.

There are few others out there, but majority of them don't make that big of a difference or are negligible.
    Blood flow - is that like blood pressure or heart rate? My BP is on the low side but my HR is pretty average.

So I think I need my thyroid and insulin levels checking. My brother is diabetic (not diet related) so I guess I'm genetically predisposed to that.

I have no idea what "alpha and beta adrenoreceptors" are lol
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know you're only breastfeeding once a day, but that could be it. I couldn't go below a certain weight while breastfeeding. Once I weaned, 5 lbs. magically just came off. SO, that could be it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yes plenty of other factors can affect fat loss - but not many of them are under your direct influence, which is why focusing on calories in vs calories out is the winning factor.

If you're interested in some of the other factors Google Leptin, Cortisol, Insulin Resistance, Thyroid, NEAT etc... They're good things to know about but don't get too focused on them.
  • inmyownskin
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You're breastfeeding and have the implant... So yeah I'd say there's, oh, about a billion factors much more important than calories that are at play here! :)

Here's the thing... When you are nursing your child, the last thing your body wants to do is lose weight. Biologically, as a mammal, when you lose weight, your body is burning its fat reserves because it's not getting enough calories to maintain homeostasis (at your current weight). You are giving some of your body to your baby, so your body does NOT want to feel like it is starving. It's going to fight you on this, especially with the hormones you're getting from the implant.

I'm only saying this so you can hopefully forgive yourself over your frustration. It's not anything you're doing wrong, you're just up against some very strong biological influences.

I agree that you should get your thyroid checked. The fact that you are breastfeeding and have some medical things going on means that you need to talk to your doctor about this. The input you receive here may be completely off-base.

I would definitely increase your calorie intake. My guess is that your weight loss is being hindered by Implanon more than anything else. When I was taking BC, losing weight was a serious challenge. Maybe you can find another method. Good luck!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    for me it's stress, birth control, and anxiety/depression medication
  • July121980
    July121980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am not sure but I was wondering if your body might be storing more because of breast feeding. How many calories a day does your doctor want you to be eating. I am just speculating that if you are breastfeeding even once a day, you may need to eat a few more calories in order to not go into starvation mode. Your body burns calories and takes some of your daily nutrients to make breast milk. I am thinking that until your baby is weened you may have to go by a number of calories your doctor gives you. The calorie counter on here is not taking into consideration that you breastfeed, just as it doesn't account for other medical issues. I think if you eat more calories and continue to exercise you will lose weight. Good luck too you!!