ashamed to run

Options
12346»

Replies

• MrsEb79
    MrsEb79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh 229 pounds and I'm a runner. I'm learning to accept my body and all it's imperfections. I can run with no knee pain or aches and pains. I ran a half marathon last summer and rocked it like no one's business. My weight is only a number. It's hard work to learn to get over it. If you have the drive and the will, you can do ANYTHING!
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    Hi There - I understand and I know that feeling of not wanting to have people look at you. I'll give you the advice I usually give myself- in reality, most people are only going to give you a quick glance and then move on with their day. Also, you most likely look SO much better than you are giving yourself credit for- women and girls are incredibly hard on themselves (count me in) and that makes it harder still.
    I know that's probably not going to "fix" your challenge but this is the mantra i repeat to myself when I feel the way you do. I was running outside this morning feeling some of those very feelings you are describing. Then i tried to focus on the beautiful sunrise and listen to the birds singing up a storm. i also realized once again how lucky I am to have a strong and healthy body and while it's not perfect, it's good enough. I'd encourage you to go out there and run- you'll be glad you did! Hang in there:)
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hey! When I go to the gym I zone out. I am not looking at anyone, just thinking about my day. If a person is in my line of sight I don't even "see" them and couldn't tell you what they looked like after I leave. I am just deep in thought, staring off in a direction. Try not to take it personal. They may be thinking of work or home or kids. You just never know. Keep positive.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i get a bit self conscious because my face will go beet red when i run a bit harder than leisurely. but then i don't care, because people can tell i am putting in an effort :)
    so far, i've had only good experiences with the people i've encountered, well, except for two teen runners mockingly imitating my 'technique' - turns out, they were right and i was actually doing something (minor) wrong. i wouldn't have bothered to look at proper technique if it hadn't been for them, so hey, in the end something positive came of it...

generally, runners will only support you, and with anyone who isn't running (nearly all of them are supportive too btw) i always think "ha! at least i'm doing something!" - self righteousness can take you quite a distance :tongue:
  • crazybusymom
    crazybusymom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i'm with wildflower!!! that's some great advice...
  • colorlessgreen
    colorlessgreen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good job on your work so far! You should definitely be proud of yourself. :) Even though I'm at a very normal body weight, I still am self-conscious about exercising in public. I've run two marathons (when I was at a lower weight) and even after the first one, I couldn't bring myself to say I was "a runner." I just didn't feel legit -- like I belonged to the group of people who were "runners." There are a couple things to take away from that: 1) you're totally not alone in feeling self-conscious, and 2) the issue really is a mental hurdle, more than a physical one. Just remember that some of the runners you see in your neighborhood probably feel the same way about themselves.

But I think the most important thing to remember is that there are always going to be stupid people who judge you, and who cares about them? I know it's easy to SAY, and harder to DO, because I have always been very insecure about how people think of me, and HAVE to feel like everyone likes me. (I'm finally getting over this, with help from a counselor. Yay!) But I have a kind of funny story that helps keep me in check:

One day when I was marathon training, I had to do a 16 mile run. At around mile 13, I was running on a pedestrian street (State Street in Madison, WI -- I love it!). I am not a fast runner, and my long runs were even slower, so needless to say, I was not moving very fast at that point. Suddenly, I heard a voice yell (in a snarky tone), "You better move a little faster, or you're never gonna make it there!" I looked over, and it was a morbidly obese guy -- like 8 inches of bare belly hanging out from under his t-shirt -- DRINKING A MILKSHAKE. I was stunned for a second, and then I couldn't help but laugh, and think, "F**k that guy!"

There are always going to be haters. Forget them. For all the stupid judgmental people, there are 20 who will see you and think, "Wow, good for her. Maybe I should try running."
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    just do it.

there is nothing to be ashamed about when your trying to become healthy.
  • vanessaleigh818
    Options
    This is an awesome thread! Thanks so much for posting your fear, and to everyone who is encouraging. It is my fear too! Shame is an ugly thing that we are taught. Time to break through! I just only found out about C25k from a fellow MFP Pal today! I will check it out. Good skill and happy first jog lovely! V
  • lmclellan68
    lmclellan68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was actually heavier than you when I started running in late November. I have completed the Couch to 5K running program and now I'm on Week 3 Day 2 of the Bridge to 10K program. I'm definitely a slow runner, but I'm running about 4 miles now and loving it!!! I'm down 27 pounds so far and still have 80something to go, but I just can't tell you how much better I feel. I totally understand the feeling embarassed, but like my 19 year old son told me, "you will just have to get over it"! Yes, I was very self-conscious for awhile, but I took his advice got out there and did it. Also being bigger, I was worried about injuring my knees from running, but so far, I have had no problems and am still going strong!!! As I ran past our school the other evening (before dark), they were having the high school sports banquet so a lot of our high school athletes and their parents were arriving at the school and I just ran on past so I guess you could say I got over it! HA!! Best of luck to you!!!!
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'd rather see a bigg girl running rather than continuing ot stuff her face at the buffet- its all a choice... I just started running and Im 230. I dont care what anyone thinks because my health IS more important than the general public's opinion! Go for it and dont look back! When Im at the track, I like to holler ahead and say "watch out, fat girl running here".....it gets a laugh and usually I get encouragement and not snickers!
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Do you want to honestly know what I think when I see a big person exercising? I think...GOOD FOR HER! I say go for it...you know, sooner than you realize, you will be one of those skinny girls and then you can inspire someone else!!! Start slow & build up...otherwise...GO FOR IT!
  • fluecok
    fluecok Posts: 52
    Options
    i went for a jog last night and this morning in shorts!
    i had to convince my self to get out there in them too lol

but once i was there and saw everyone else in less clothes
    i felt better

because at the end of the day

we are all there for the same purpose!!!!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    If you feel comfortable jogging the do it. If it feels uncomfortable the walk. I have to walk due to my knees, but I walk fast! Do what you can and push a little to do more.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been actually eating like a normal human being for the last 3 weeks! I am very proud because it hasnt happened to me in a very very long time. Now that I feel I have fallen into a comfort zone and can sustain this lifestyle until I lose weight, I think it's time for excercise. SO I used to love to jog....now the weather is so gorgeous and I want to run outside. But I am huge and am so embarrassed to run in the street. everyone I see running is so tiny and looks great. If I saw a 250lb woman coming at me while driving, I'd be scared! SO I want to run...but am ashamed....anyone else have this problem? I would love some support. Also is it safe to jog at that weight? ( I would probably start dying after 1 minute of a very light jog) but is even that safe? I'd love any ideas on how to get started?

when I started years ago after 2 minutes I thought I was going to die- now I run 6.2 miles daily and its easy! You need to Just Do it. Don't worry about how you look or what others are thinking. Running is my life-its addicting. You will only get better-faster-and leaner. This is YOUR journey-take charge!
  • ampeterson69
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people think. When I see someone running (no matter their size) I want to beep my horn and say way to go! I started running again at 250 lbs and am now 232. Go slow, I would suggest a walk/run program where you gradually increase the time that you run. Remember, "no matter how slow you go you are still lapping those on the couch". Good luck on your journey!
  • Fashionista012
    Fashionista012 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    amazing advice from everyone!!! many many thanks! love you guys
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed. I was 267 lbs, now 245 lbs, and I run. I was surprised, but most people that saw me running were supportive and nice. I suggest interval training until you can get to where you can run a sustained 20 to 30 minutes at a time. Be sure to wear proper clothing for support and comfort.
  • MrsEb79
    MrsEb79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I'm out running, I feel like a super star. Everyone that passes me is probably wishing they were out running. Or that they could run at all. I just get into my zone and do my thing and pay no attention to the haters. I run for me, and no one else.