Are you becoming a fitness nerd/boring your friends?

I feel like all I talk about is food, dieting, and fitness. I've tried to tone it down a little, I am even trying to input my calories as much as possible before I go out to eat (if it's a restaurant I am familiar with and I know what I will order.) I guess I don't want my personal journey to be off putting to someone else. I know what I feel like when I am around people who are obsessed with one thing and never shut up about it.

What do you do?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I hope not. I generally try to avoid any conversation about weight with anyone, I find it a bit cringe, and hate it when people comment on mine. I do talk about running if people ask, but don't bring it up myself.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    I find it is hard not to talk about because I have lost/toned up to a point where I am down almost a size and a half and I am slowly starting to wear things that are fitted rather then quite baggy people are really noticing it and comment on it and ask me what I have been doing...which leads to an explanation of my eating and exercise style choices which aren't so mainstream....
  • holthaus30
    holthaus30 Posts: 58 Member
    I talk about my calorie counting with my guy friend that I go to the gym with and he hates it, he is a little overweight and not serious about getting in shape so I guess thats why.
  • Yes, but I've encouraged a dozen of my friends to join MyFitnessPal, and a couple to join the gym by constantly blogging and posting on Facebook about what I'm doing. Most of them have already lost more weight than I have! It also gives me encouragement when they cheer me on.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 833 Member
    Yes I talk about fitness and nurtion with my friends and family because I love them and I want then to learn to live healthy so I can enjoy there company many years to come. I am just trying to encourage them that it is possible.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    I find myself wanting to talk about it because its all I think about!!! But I try not to talk about it a whole lot just ib casual conversation but luckily my boyfriend is into fitness and eating healthy so I can talk to him about it all I want. And of course I'm on Mfp forums like all day everyday so that makes it easier to not bore others in real life.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    It is easy to get wrapped up in it, especially while you are still losing. But please, don't be *that* person. Talk about it if asked but don't talk incessantly about your new fantastic lifestyle. Even with your good intentions of wanting to encourage others, what you see as "encouragement" others see as nagging.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Yeah, I've got a problem. :tongue: But I try to keep it to a policy of only if they ask. But if they do... they'd better have a notebook ready.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    :laugh:

Yes and a Jesus Nerd too...because when people ask me what I'm doing to get where I am and am going, I talk about how The Lord rescued and is rescuing me from all of the addictions and yuck that got me to where I was and what He's doing to in and thru me to change me. So, yeah and then some:wink:
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    My mom made this comment the other day that this is all I talk about :laugh: I too try to tone it down.

But it was funny because we were all having a general conversation about calories of food and how much sodium and such is in things and I was able to recite the nutritional value of most of the prepackaged food in my moms cupboard. I was blowing my little sisters mind! lol...she said I was cheating but she couldn't figure out how. You do this long enough and you can smell a food and know how many calories are in it :laugh:
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,552 Member
    I talk about it all the time. My daughter keeps telling me that she already knows and has heard that already. I guess it is just that we are excited about the challenge and the progress. Also I am excited about all the great friends I have made. It also is a constant event in our days so of course it is always on our minds. Haters are just going to hate
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    i know a couple people who obsessively calorie count and talk about fitness non-stop, and i find it a little off-putting even though i myself am trying to be healthier, so i try to keep it to myself or talk about it with my husband.

whenever i have a question or need to vent, i turn to my MFP friends or my husband for support - and if i'm not sure about eating something, i discreetly check the app first OR just make a note to eat in moderation.
    i don't want anyone else's approval (or disapproval) to be part of my motivation for being healthy.

if someone wants to know what i'm doing, i'd be happy to share all i've learned but i hate when people comment on my choices as being "good" or "bad" in their eyes. even when it's "good" to them, it still feels like i'm being judged.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    I'm a stay ot home mom so the only things I really do all day are clean, count calories, and workout. So I never have ANYTHING interesting to say unless it's about getting stains out of clothes or getting fit so I talk about fitness/nutrition all the time, because my other option is to talk about cleaning the toilet. ;) lol.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    I try not to comment on what other people are saying. I'm not that kind of person lol.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    I find myself wanting to talk about it because its all I think about!!! But I try not to talk about it a whole lot just ib casual conversation but luckily my boyfriend is into fitness and eating healthy so I can talk to him about it all I want. And of course I'm on Mfp forums like all day everyday so that makes it easier to not bore others in real life.

^^^ Ditto except it's my housemates, not my boyfriend. My boyfriend will eat whatever I put in front of him, but if I don't cook he just eats pasta or yogurt or goes out haha. But my housemates are great influences, one of them works out with me often and is on here as well! (hey girl :P) The other is vegan so she knows a lot about eating. We all talk about food allllll the time lol
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Yes I guess so. I figure it's so much of my daily life that it's pretty hard not to talk about it. I don't go around just talking to everyone and anyone about it, but when it falls into the topic then I talk about it. I think sometimes people get annoyed when I talk about, talk about all the changes I have made, my exercise, etc. Maybe they are frustrated with me or bored hearing about it, or it's a jealously sour grapes thing. I don't know. I'm trying to NOT care as much these days what people think.

Easier said than done sometimes ...
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Yes and bores the family. So I try not to talk about anything fitness or calorie related.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    yeah! Luckily I have a few friends who are into fitness and are in great shape. I love to ask them for advice and share what I am trying with them. I do try to tone it down with other friends, because I don't want them to think I am obsessed or boring. My husband gets sick of it sometimes, but mostly he just listens and asks questions because he tries to care about the things I care about.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    It's funny you should mention this. I went through a break up a few months after I started doing MFP, and my GF at the time said "All you ever talk about is going to the gym." Oh, well...

:)
  • wolfehound22
    wolfehound22 Posts: 859 Member
    Yep do it all the time, but when you are excited about something that tends to happen. I am getting better, but its such a big part of my life now.