Are you becoming a fitness nerd/boring your friends?

Options

Replies

• aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have worked with born again Christians who constantly tried to convert me who were less annoying than obsessed dieters/fitness nuts* so I try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible unless people ask very specific questions. In fact I will often tell them that if they are really interested call me later so we can talk. Almost no one really does so I think most people just ask to be nice.

* the use of the term fitness nuts in not in any way meant to be derogatory, but a term of endearment to all you crazy** people out there.

** the use of the term crazy..........:laugh:
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I talk about running all the time and I know I probably drive them crazy! But that is all I think about almost, running, healthy eating, drinking enough water. I can't help it!! I've toned it down, but people already know me so they bring it up now! LOL
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have worked with born again Christians who constantly tried to convert me who were less annoying than obsessed dieters/fitness nuts*

* the use of the term fitness nuts in not in any way meant to be derogatory, but a term of endearment to all you crazy** people out there.

** the use of the term crazy..........:laugh:

That's funny. That is kind of what I am trying not to be. Still, it's kind of exciting and you want to share, so...
  • scrappergirl333
    scrappergirl333 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have become obsessed with dieting, food and exercise too. I am trying not to be annoying to others with my new interest but it is hard especially with all that I am learning. I want to share my knowledge. The funny thing is now when we go out to eat my husband and friends always ask what I am eating before they order or they will say I am going to order ____ how many calories is that; put it in your phone and find out. We used to eat without concern for calories and portion size, now my family and friends are paying more attention to those things thanks to me. So I guess it isn't all that bad.
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    Yep - I am a bit obsessed - what my husband kindly refers to as "focused". It mostly impacts him - there are restauants I won't go to right now because they don't have amany good options, I also do things like chose to walk to the grocery store, which means I wont't pick up the 12 pack of pop he put on the list b/c I don't want to carry it home (those things are heavy). I also am spazzy about making sure I don't go over in calories, so sometimes our evening tv watching gets usurped by treadmill time. He has been super supportive, he wants me to stick with it and get healthier - so he doesn't mind.

But I try to not talk about it with my friends unless someone asks, or encourages me to make a choice that isn't in line with my current choices. Though most of the, are now familiar with my "making good choices" mantra that they don't ask anymore :)
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm a total MFP/fitness/nutrition bore.
  • lynn7298
    lynn7298 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am new to MFP and while I am not constantly talking about weight related issues, I am totally obsessed with making sure I log all my food! Lol! I just got a new android and found the app with the so very cool bar code scanner! I have driven everyone insane scanning all the bar codes in the kitchen!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I feel like all I talk about is food, dieting, and fitness. I've tried to tone it down a little, I am even trying to input my calories as much as possible before I go out to eat (if it's a restaurant I am familiar with and I know what I will order.) I guess I don't want my personal journey to be off putting to someone else. I know what I feel like when I am around people who are obsessed with one thing and never shut up about it.

What do you do?
    Lol, the most irritating ones to me (and I'm in the Fitness industry) are the "holier than thou" people who tout nothing but "clean" eating and disparaging against anything that's not natural or is processed. Somehow they've discovered that eating "unclean" foods is the reason they got overweight, when in truth it boils down to over consumption of calories.
    When I hear them talk about how "bad" anything man made is, it's as if they think they are superior eaters than the average person. Not to mention.................that's all the f***ing talk about. You could start a conversation about football, then somewhere in the conversation the person will bring up food. Then go on to preach about how bad hot dogs, pretzels,etc. are. When that happens, I have them compete with me (after eating a hot dog) to see how many damn burpees they can do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OMG!! YES!! That's why I'm on MFP ;) lol
  • Fit_and_Healthy
    Options
    If I do talk about it, I am usually drunk. It's my thing, so I keep it to myself. I do make an occasional sober comment to a certain friend that living on fast food/junk food (chips, cupcakes, etc) is no good for their health though.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I am, but only with my poor husband. He cycles so is into fitness to a certain extent (he doesn't watch his calories like he should). He used to be in very good shape (as was I) so I can talk about lifting with him. I talk a lot about workouts and the calories or nutrients in food. I am sure I'm driving him crazy though so I try to control myself.

I have no trouble not talking about it with other people. If someone asks I give very brief answers unless they show a true interest in losing weight too.

ETA: I can tell from the look on his face that I'm over doing the talking. I think he doesn't complain because the thought of me looking more like I did when I met him appeals to him. :)
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I can't jeopardize my weight loss/fitness goals for social interaction and don't think I should have to. I try to avoid it, but lately, at work, when we have birthday celebrations or some type of food related event, I don't eat. They always thought I was being polite and would tell me to "at least eat this...or what about this?" not understanding that I prepack my food, weight it, and track it religiously. It took a few months, but they finally caught on that I wasn't budging and finally have respected it; so much so one of our admins wanted to get me something special and put a chobani yogurt on my chair (since that's what she sees me eat at snack time). LOL! So, yeah, I'm becoming a bit nerdy and can appear "uppity" with my health, but if someone can't respect my lifestyle, I really don't think i would want to be around that person. I try not to really say much about it but when going out, I try to be mindful without being a total b****.
  • Toniithia
    Toniithia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I catch myself talking about my weightloss all the time, the other day I was so proud of myself I whipped out my camera and showed them pictures of me starting out and pictures that day...

they probably thought i was nuts, but talking about it helps :)

and the more open you are about it, the more your friends should respect you with it, if anything they should help motivate you!

I tried to get my friends to work out with me the other day, they all said "maybe another timeee, im too lazy"

lazy is right!!

don't overdue it, and talk about nothing but that,,, i find that my friends easily get annoyed, but if they ask about it, or my progress, I keep them up to date :)
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Right now I feel like I'm pretty quiet about it...mostly because it's early in my latest journey. I want folks to notice. then look out! I'm sure I won't shut up!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I hope so haha and when I do, I know it's time to make some new friends who share the same interests as I do. That's why it's good to have a variety of friends I guess....
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I love talking about this sort of stuff, and find that being on this site helps me to do that, so I don't have to talk about it very much to people in my real life.

My husband is also on this site losing weight, so we talk about it together. It feels good to have it be my little secret with family (other than my husband) and friends. Those who ask me about my weight loss, get a very short explanation: "I'm using on online food tracker, and walking most days a week.' That satisfies most people's curiosity.
  • aprildawn81
    aprildawn81 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think so.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I can't believe the number of times my fiance (who goes to the gym with me) will roll his eyes when I tell him I'm not eating something because I know how much work that is to get rid of it. :P

I try to avoid talking to most people about it at all, though, because I get so many that are so sure I'll fail, and I'd rather get a jump start on proving them wrong first. :D
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I actually never talk about it outside of posting here on MFP. Oh, I share new accomplishments with my husband because I'm excited and he is excited for me but that doesn't happen every day. If people ask, I'll share but I usually keep it brief unless they are really interested and keep asking questions. But, usually, they'll just want to share about this new diet they heard about that is crazy, quick loss stuff and I have to bite my tongue. It's hard not to lecture but I usually just bite my tongue and say that I've found a lifestyle change works better than a diet and that moving more helps a lot. But most people don't really want to hear that so I'll keep pretty mum.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Definitely! My family thinks I'm obsessed, but my friends support me!