To Low Carb or Not to Low Carb

Options
Hi All!

I know I am opening quite a can of works as there are many differeing opinions on this subject, but I'm looking not just for yes or no, but why you might, or might not go low-carb.

I have followed Atkins in the past and been fairly successful at it losing about 100 lbs in about 10 months, but then I was gearing up for my first ever sporting event - a sprint triathlon and was worried I wouldn't have the energy to finish so I threw the low-carb thinking out the window and actually went a bit overboard, I finished the tri but haven't been watching what I eat like I should. Now 16 month later I'm getting serious again and am trying to lose eating fairly healthy and staying within my net carbs. My only issue is the perceived lack of progress at the moment.

When I was eating low carb, I would regularly see 3 to 5 lbs per week of loss. My 4 week average is about 2. I know strictly following a NO-carb diet is not healthy, but low carb seems to me to be the way to go.

So, my question is, are you/wopuld you follow the low-carb diet and why or why not?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Restricting calories often necessitates the restricting of carbohydrates, but there's no benefit to cutting them out just for the hell of it.
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump. It sounds tempting but I don't think I could do it as a lifestyle change, therefore I think I would put weight back on afterwards. Correct me if i'm wrong.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Bump. It sounds tempting but I don't think I could do it as a lifestyle change, therefore I think I would put weight back on afterwards. Correct me if i'm wrong.

When you cut out carbs, you drop water, which returns after you reintroduce carbs. That's not to say that the fat you lose will come back.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ^ Both good responses ^

Low carb is not for me ..... because after I meet my weight goal ... then what? Do I start over & figure out HOW to keep the weight off.... or do I do low carb for life?

No way am I doing low carb for life ......
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    if you are just trying to loose weight or "cut" without any deadline it is pointless to do low carb diets.. now if you are already less than 10-12%BF and you need to cut down to 5% in 3months then yes.. low carb or even better carb cycle...
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    That's what I am doing now. Love it! for a few reasons:

1. The huge losses (especially in the beginning) provide motivation to keep going.
    2. I am forced to walk away from cookies, candy, and other sugary treats this way. The whole "everything in moderation" mantra only works if you can handle it, but I am truly a food addict and need restrictions to stop myself from bingeing.
    3. I am less likely to go through a drive-thru or snack on junk food without thinking, because finding low-carb foods is just not as easy as grabbbing something from the vending machine.
    4. Nothin about meat, cheese, eggs, or vegetables makes my body want to overeat. I can go through a family-size bag of Doritos or package of Oreos in one sitting, but I have NEVER EVER EVER felt the need to gorge myself on green beans LOL.
    5. I have a ot more energy and focus when I eat low-carb. I am not groggy or sleepy all day, and I know longer feel like a bear dragged out of hibernation prematurely. There is truly a pep in my step.

Low-carb is not for everyone, but it's for this chick :heart:
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am low carbing but I know I can never go back to eating carbs once I'm at goal.
    For a quick fix it's not a good idea but if you can see yourself never eating a huge bowl of pasta, I recommend it.x
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    - Endomorphs (people who gain weight easily) are typically more carb sensitive, and may benefit from restricting carbs
    - Fats can be more filling and satisfying than carbs
    - I have continued to increase strength on a low carb diet, as long as I refeed every 7-10 days

But it's not sustainable, not a lifestyle change, blah blah blah. I don't plan on cutting for the rest of my life.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you look at it from a practical perspective, low carbing is great because it usually means you don't need to think in terms of calories. The naysayers tend to think you are giving up carbs completely, buts its not true obviously. You can incorporate low-carbing into your lifestyle in many different ways where you get the benefits of it as well as the opportunity to engorge on carb-heavy foods as well.

For instance I'm training for a marathon and I low-carb during the week for the most part, and then carb-up for the weekend long runs. I get the benefit of never restricting calories, training on low glycogen stores, and getting the carb boost when I need it most. And of course I get to live a little on the weekends and not always worry about the foods I'm eating.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    :noway: You did it now...can of worms has been opened... :ohwell:

<<<edit...tried to post a can of worms picture here to be snarky..didn't work :sad:

This is a hot topic on MFP. The way I look at it is this: For some people low fat and calorie counting works just fine, for others low carb and calorie counting works. You have to decide what is right for you. What eating habits can YOU change that will help you be healthy for the long haul. The problem with dieting is that it's a quick fix that when stopped can lead to weight gain. You have to make a lifestyle change or the weight will just come back.

For me personally, calorie counting and exercising aren't enough. I have a physical condition where I am insulin resistant, so I have to watch my carb intake. Slow/Low carb is the only thing that works for me and I have to fit that into MY healthy lifestyle. I limit my higher carb TREATS to once a week. This is something that I can stick to for the long haul. I feel healthier when I'm watching my carbs and I don't feel like I am on a diet. My bloodwork, blood pressure and EKG results I've received from my doctor show that I am healthy.

For someone to come in here and spout off that Low Carb is bad or that Low Fat is bad are speaking out of their bum. The medical and science world are still split on this issue and laypeople spouting their latest "truths" aren't going to help you. You need to find what will work for you in the long haul!

Until then...enjoy complete kerfuffle that will soon ensue.. :happy:
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've tried Atkins before and made it almost 2 weeks, but I love fruit and I tend to get insanely angry and *****y when I severely limit my carbs and I personally don't lose weight any faster. I don't track my carbs anymore, but I don't eat a lot of carbs from grains; my carbs come mainly from fruit, veggies, and yogurt, and the occasional vitatop muffin lol. I just tend to feel better, less bloated, and have fewer cravings when I don't eat a lot of grains. That being said, I also know people who eat low carb and have no problems with it whatsoever. I think it's just a matter of personal preference and finding what works best for you.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    If you look at it from a practical perspective, low carbing is great because it usually means you don't need to think in terms of calories.

BRB, eating 6,500 calories of bacon and eggs everyday and still losing weight.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I was a steadfast, firm believer in NO carbs for many years! It works. I find it to be an unrealistic way to live though. For me it was fine for a few months at a time but eventually we all need a few carbs. A ketogenic diet is also an unforgiving diet. One bite of sugar or carbs and you're out of ketosis. But to each his own....if it works for you, DO IT!
  • dsweise
    dsweise Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses so far. I see myself in a few of them. :) I guess my main reason for asking is to help me justify going back on the low carb plan. The hard part about it is eating different from the rest of the family. Spaghetti and hamburger helper are quick and easy meals for the kids and make it hard to stay away from the carbs.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you look at it from a practical perspective, low carbing is great because it usually means you don't need to think in terms of calories.

If you think that is what I am saying to do, then go do some research on low-carb diets.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was a steadfast, firm believer in NO carbs for many years! It works. I find it to be an unrealistic way to live though.

Also an awesome way to be deficient in micronutrients
  • UponThisRock
    Options

If you think that is what I am saying to do, then go do some research on low-carb diets.

No, I'm using a ridiculous example to illustrate why your assertion that low carb dieters need not count calories is silly.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I like eating low carb (and MUST eat this way) - and I feel good eating this way. And I have MUCH greater satisfaction and feeling of fullness with my meals when they are lower carb. Those two reasons for ME are why I would tell you to give it a try, and see if it helps YOU in the same way.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options

yeah, because people that are eating 6,500 calories are actually losing weight. :noway: Why do you have to be so rude?

The same kinds of half-arsed remarks can be made about any way of eating... "These cookies are fat free, so I can eat the whole box" "I'm vegetarian, so I only eat mac & cheese"

sheesh
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses so far. I see myself in a few of them. :) I guess my main reason for asking is to help me justify going back on the low carb plan. The hard part about it is eating different from the rest of the family. Spaghetti and hamburger helper are quick and easy meals for the kids and make it hard to stay away from the carbs.

I run into this issue, too. I have had success just setting aside some of the meat that I am preparing for the meal and eating it over salad or with a microwavable vegetable.