What CARDIO has helped you lose fat? Anyone?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose fat is to raise you RMR. Only certain cardio does that and it's going to be HIIT related. Steady state cardio DOE NOT raise RMR. You burn more fat from your RMR on a daily basis than ANY cardio you do for an hour.
    Get intense, hit the intensity hard and you'll raise that RMR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think a nice combination of cardio/strength training is the way to go. :) -- I liked P90X, Insanity and now turbo fire, loooove the HIIT workouts!!! :D
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv, kickboxing, zumba. Lost an insane amount of inches in 2 months from that combo.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Running shouldn't bulk you up. Look at all the top lady runners they are very lean.
  • prestonsnana
    prestonsnana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try to work out at least 5 days a week for at least 30 , when I goto the gym its at least 60min and I love the eliptical and the treadmill and I also use the bike, at home I have a gazelle and weight bench and ab lounge so usually I do 30 min workouts at home and I add in at least 100 crunches also !! GOOD LUCK YOU CAN DO IT !!! I have dropped I pant size so far and I have lost a total of 14lbs too !!!
  • radiva1
    radiva1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Zumba!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I've lost more than 50 pounds running.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!!! But I also enjoy HIIT, spinning, and Plyometrics
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ..... running obviously isn't for me, i gain alot of muscle. body fat losss is my goal.

This may be a bit of a shocker, but you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

No one is going to say "Ewww those muscles make you look fat!"
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You need to keep your heart rate at its max when you work out. To acheve this, exercises that get you from the ground to a full stand work the best. For example: Burpees, Prisoner Jumps, Pop Ups are what I like to do.
    POP UPS - I like the most, they are what I call a functional fitness move. From a standing position go down onto your back arms and legs fully extended try to get back up into a standing position without using your hands. At first you can use your hands but as you develope strength in your legs you will slowly use them less and less. We do this movement everyday of or lives getting out of bed each morning thats why I call it functional fitness.
    PRISONER JUMPS - Are also known as Squat Jumps. From a standing position go into a deep squat (as low as your butt can go) hand on your head at all times then jump has high as you can and return to the squat position.
    BURPEES - From a standing position, drop to a deep squat/kneel hands planted to the ground, then kick your legs out from underneath so you are now in a plank position hands still in same position as previous move. Attempt to do a push up (optional), then tuck your legs but underneath so you are back into a deep squat/kneel hands still havent moved. And finally jump back up into a standing position.

Do each of these for 3 sets of 10 reps. Add it to your regular strength and cardio routine.
    Good Luck!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Pain and simple....this....HIIT it's where it's at
    The best way to lose fat is to raise you RMR. Only certain cardio does that and it's going to be HIIT related. Steady state cardio DOE NOT raise RMR. You burn more fat from your RMR on a daily basis than ANY cardio you do for an hour.
    Get intense, hit the intensity hard and you'll raise that RMR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    cardio - walking on a incline of 7-12 at speed of 3.9mph to 4.9mph keeping my heart rate 130-140

diet- if im cutting for fun then just a calorie deficit...
    - if i have a deadline to cut e.g. 3 months... i do carb cycling to get to 5% or less...

What's carb cycling?

I'm kinda curious as well!
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Games! Pushing all those buttons really made me break out in a sweat!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Zumba and biking have helped me improve my cardio, and yes I am losing fat in combination with diet and strength training. I don't like stationary cardio, but if I'm on a treadmill I do 5 min walking, then 30 sec sprint, then 5 more minutes walking, 1:00 sprint, then walking on a steeper incline, etc, not sure if that's considered HIIT but constantly changing it up to keep things interesting works for me.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You won't gain muscle on a calorie deficit unless you have a LOT of weight to lose (which, according to your profile, you don't) and you certainly won't bulk up running. I initially started losing weight by eating at a calorie deficit and interval training on the elliptical at least 3 times a week. Now I run 3 times a week (and can actually tell that I look leaner) and do yoga and occasionally Zumba on my rest days. I've heard very good things about HIIT as well.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    elliptical is my fav...love my P90X Kenpo X too!
  • blue_lime
    blue_lime Posts: 10
    Options
    you need to stop eating the fatty stuff too, cardio workouts don't just give you a hall pass to eat what you want, i've also found the best/biggest burner to be the stepping machine and I hate running too.. good luck!!
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    a great way to burn fat and build muscle is to grapple eg wrestling, submission fighting, bjj
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Running. It won't make you bulk--as a woman you'd really have to be into heavy lifting to bulk up. Running finally made me lose a ton of inches around the hips and, even trickier, on the inner thighs.

As a woman you'd have to take steroids to bulk up. You don't bulk up from lifting.

Indeed I'd suggest it's a combination of running and heavy lifting that has helped me lose fat....

Oh and this. As women, we simply do not have enough testosterone in our bodies to 'bulk up' without some kind of aid. Muscles initially retain water when you start lifting, so a lot of people assume they must be getting 'bulky' when they see an increase on the scale. It goes away as quickly as it comes.
  • DrDazzy13
    Options
    Hi Destiny--HIIT training and moderate cardio have helped burn fat but keep on muscle, without spending hours doing cardio (not a fan). So two days a week I walk a treadmill on moderate speed for 10-15 mins. I have one separate cardio day where I do interval treadmill work (between 20-40 seconds speed and between 10-45 seconds stopping) and one or twice a week I throw in a bike HIIT where the ranges can be a little longer. They are intense, but they are short and you can do it with a jump or any cardio apparatus you want. It especially helps when you plateau and need to burn!