lifting weights

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
This is an FYI as I see this misconception all over the boards...

Just because you have weights in your hands doesn't mean you are lifting weights.

Lifting weights as a strength training exercise involves heavy weight and low reps. If you're doing more than 12-15 reps, it's a cardio exercise. If you can 10 reps fairly easily, you're not lifting heavy enough.

Replies

• Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am beginning a weightlifting program on Monday. This is actually quite helpful. I need to be reminded to push myself. Thank you!
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    To each their own.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i am squating 315.. am i doing it right?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    There's lifting heavy and then there's wasting your time!

Ladies! This counts for you too! I'm lifting heavy (well, heavier) and only getting smaller!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Just because you have weights in your hands doesn't mean you are lifting weights.

Lifting weights as a strength training exercise involves heavy weight and low reps. If you're doing more than 12-15 reps, it's a cardio exercise. If you can 10 reps fairly easily, you're not lifting heavy enough.

Oh goody! This does make me feel bit better about my arms hurting after doing 3 sets of about 11 reps of the bench press and clean and press, only managed about 5 with more weight on for deadlift x 5 sets... and helps indicate that they were heavy "enough" for me to be getting some strength training workout from... I do enough cardio on the bloody machines and running plus the odd Tabata... the last think I want to only get as a benefit for lifting that horrible (love/hate) bar is ANOTHER CV workout!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options

yup. :smokin:
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Since we're on a forum I'll add to this that if you're lifting more than once a week you're wasting your time. And if you're doing more than one set you're not working to true failure. High Intensity Training works and I think everyone should put their lifting routines away for two weeks, read the book by Dr. Ellington Darden called "The New High Intensity Training" and experience your true genetic potential in less time. Doubt this? Ever see a lion doing push-ups? A cheeta jogging? A gorilla doing pull-ups? Fact is most lifting is over done and sleep is lacking. Enjoy the read...otherwise, enjoy your time in the gym.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Since we're on a forum I'll add to this that if you're lifting more than once a week you're wasting your time. And if you're doing more than one set you're not working to true failure. High Intensity Training works and I think everyone should put their lifting routines away for two weeks, read the book by Dr. Ellington Darden called "The New High Intensity Training" and experience your true genetic potential in less time. Doubt this? Ever see a lion doing push-ups? A cheeta jogging? A gorilla doing pull-ups? Fact is most lifting is over done and sleep is lacking. Enjoy the read...otherwise, enjoy your time in the gym.

WTF?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

not if you can squat that 25 times. :P
  • JennieAL
    Options

WTF?

I mean, I know true HIIT is anaerobic... but, seriously?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I started Les Mills Pump from Beachbody a couple weeks ago. Love it! It's not considered lifting weights though, because it focuses on the "rep effect". High reps, low weights. Perfect for what I want to achieve though. :)

And what is that? that program is mainly cardio, you will not get the benefits of lifting weights doing that many reps. Even women benefit from lifting heavy, and you will not bulk up due to a caloric deficit and lack of testosterone.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options

WTF?

now i'm tryin' to remember if i've ever seen a lion do a push up.

I mean, I know true HIIT is anaerobic... but, seriously?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I started Les Mills Pump from Beachbody a couple weeks ago. Love it! It's not considered lifting weights though, because it focuses on the "rep effect". High reps, low weights. Perfect for what I want to achieve though. :)
    High reps build muscle endurance and does little to actually strengthen muscle. IMO, these types of workouts were designed to appeal to females so that they don't think they will get too muscular.
    Study after study show that challenging muscle with overload will yield better results compared to using lighter loads with higher repetitions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0611ldbfy1qcukfzo1_500.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Full parallel squats or 1/4 squats? See it all the time in the gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Do you think there are benefits to doing Body Pump? I am trying to lose weight (another 50 pounds) and am not strong enough to lift heavy at the moment (been doing 10kg clean and press and 8-12kg kettlebells).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

No, but I've never seen them sit at a desk punching at keys on a keyboard all day either. If I were still a wild thing in my natural habitat I wouldn't have to exercise because my lifestyle would show on my body, but as it stands I have to earn money which means sitting on my *kitten* all day, so I have 1 hour per day to get in what my ancestors would do to survive. The arguement goes both ways and I don't think it holds much water.
  • JennieAL
    Options

And you eat Paleo, I presume?

j/k...
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I've also never seen a gorilla pee in a urinal. Our needs and the usage of our bodies is totally different. Maybe if we ran around on all fours in the jungle and scavenged for our food, we'd only need to lift once a week.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

And what is that? that program is mainly cardio, you will not get the benefits of lifting weights doing that many reps. Even women benefit from lifting heavy, and you will not bulk up due to a caloric deficit and lack of testosterone.

I'm a body pump instructor and I lift heavy weights on other days. I see one as part of my cardio routine and the other as part of my strength training routine. I think there are great benefits to body pump and have seen people who do other cardio work excellerate their results by adding body pump to their workouts in lieu of another running day or stepping day. Just saying, yes it's anecdotal, but I've seen great benefits to adding this class to someone's routine.