Mommy question??

Options
124»

Replies

• mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My 3 year olds watch me put on makeup everyday and play with my make up brushes like they're putting it on too :laugh: They love putting on lip gloss and chap stick (no lip gloss in public) but I would say I probably wouldn't actually let them start wearing make up until jr high. I think I was 13 when I started to. I think that's a pretty good age.
  • PokeyTurtle
    PokeyTurtle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I let my daughter wear mascara and lip gloss when she was 14. It broke my heart, but it was better than her sneaking around and wearing it anyway.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Texas so I was in 5th grade, but my daughter will be at least 13. She wont be allowed to wear much at all. She is pretty enough on her own. (of course!) I am going to let her shave her legs this summer when she turns 10. She has some seriously hairy legs.
  • SuzyQq02
    SuzyQq02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No kids myself, but my experience with wearing makeup was a little different, I guess. I danced competitively from a young age and did a lot theater, so I learned a lot about makeup from the time I was really small. I only wore it to perform/practice for performances/play around with it until I was in junior high, then I wore foundation daily to cover up breakouts and mascara and/or lipgloss. It was never anything scary or forbidden since I was so used to it, so I never wore too much in my "real life."
  • Elenazuniga
    Options
    I have a niece who's about 10 she wants make up but all I got her was clear lipgloss.. she felt special.. sometimes maybe like a super light pink.. but that's all nothin drastic..
  • birdieintx
    birdieintx Posts: 298
    Options
    I was 12 I think in junior high. I wasn't allowed to wear a lot but I remember playing around with lip gloss, colored mascaras and a bit of eye shadow or liner. My mom didn't make a huge deal out of it so it wasn't something I wanted to do to rebel against her. She never wore tons of make up and neither did I. I still don't. I only put on a full face if I'm going out at night. Most of the time I wear none or maybe a little mascara and swipe of liner.
  • mechelle1bryan
    Options
    My daughter started in 8th ,but she doesn't wear a whole lot. Im thankful that she wears only a littlle, she still likes to look natural. I think it depends on the child, you know your child and if she is ready or not, don't really like to tag a age to it. Some girls mature faster.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    6th/7th grade -My 3 girls began to have outbreaks with acne at that time. The ability to use foundation and powder gave them confidence. The began to use other cosmetics such as eye shadows and liners by grade 8. None of them bothered with lip stick / gloss until 10th grade.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old is allowed for dress-up play, but just lip gloss and sometimes eye shadow. outside the home won't be until she's 14 or 15.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I guess highschool...but I'd be hoping more around 16+.... Not a lot though. Maybe just some eye make-up and mascara...not enough to look like a hooker or anything. If I had a daughter I'd probably try to teach her how much is appropriate because I find teen girls tend to wear too much...lol
  • Tanyawhite30
    Options
    I`will let my daughter wear makeup at around the age of 14 or 15.
  • muscular_dude
    Options
    NEVER!!!!

totally agree!

I'm a guy not a mom but my humble two cents is don't do it. you look beautiful just the way you are.
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I guess when they get to the teen years a little makeup is ok, I have 2 girls 6+9 but the oldest is a football-playing tomboy so I think the little one will be first at the make up. They won't be able to dress like "Prostitots" though, it's horrible how some very young girls dress.