Who Has A Garden?

Options
124»

Replies

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have one I'm in zone ten this is only my second year with a veggie garden.

Herbs
    Basil
    Parsley
    Rosemary
    Tarragon
    Mint
    Oregano

Tomatoes
    Jalapenos
    Peppers
    Onions
    Romaine Lettuce

I've had no luck with Brussel Sprouts they grew and I let them get to big and yuk. Asparagus was a fail as was Corn on the cob, carrots and spinach. I planted the corn in the Summer so I think it was too hot.
    Someone told me plant squash in the summer it loves the heat.

I have strawberries when the critters don't get them first, and a Meyer Lemon tree which I'm not having luck with the fruit not dropping off. But I love the fact that I can eat what we grow.

Asparagus needs two years before you can harvest. I haven't done asparagus but this is what I have read. Was that why it failed? You said it was your second so maybe that's why you say your asparagus failed because this year it would be ready to harvest?

Oh duh that's probably why! I guess I got impatient Thanks
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm in CA and the weather began to warm up but now it's cold again so I'm going to be waiting a little while longer to start my garden.

Each spring/summer (for the last 3 years), I've grown zucchini, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes (cherry, roma and early girls), green beans, watermelon, strawberries, grapes and a few other things.

We also have several trees which have produced...peaches, tangerines, oranges and lemons.

I'm going to attempt to grow blueberries this summer, as well as several herbs.
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    we have a garden (3 acres) and we started prepping yesterday....
    we have:
    strawberries
    raspberries
    green beans
    pea (sugar anns and sugar snaps)
    baby red potaoes
    yukon gold potatoes
    sweet carrots
    green onions
    sweet onions (red and white)
    kholorabi
    swiss chard
    cucumbers (pickles)
    chinese eggplant
    spinach
    mixed (lettuce) greens
    turnips
    jalapeno peppers
    banana peppers
    green peppers
    hot chili peppers
    tomaotes
    cherry tomatoes
    radishes
    leeks
    basil
    cilantro
    mint
    i'm sure theres more, but seem to draw a blank....we sell in local farmers markets

Have you had success at the farmers market? We're considering doing it as well. Do you find that the stardard items, like potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers are the most popular, or the "different" items, like eggplant?

well when we sell in town (pop: 68,000) on sat average $700...on a sunday average $300....we also sell in on saturerdays in another bid city (pop: 240,000) and average maybe $4,000...so idk how it is where you live...standard items sell very well: major items green onions, cilantro, tomatoes, green peppers, fruits, radishes....potatoes sometimes...usually if i sell a 3lb for $2 they go better. flowers get great sales as well.
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I did container gardening last year and found it quite enjoyable and relaxing. I live in Texas so we had major issues with very hot temps and limited watering allowed. (I would sneak out after dark with several buckets so the water police didn't catch me). My peppers and okra did awesome. My tomatoes did okay until the birds got involved. I had a few cucumbers but most of them came out too bitter to eat. I had 2 squash that were awesome then the squash bugs took over (I hate them). With herbs my rosemary was the only thing really took off. The parsley did okay early on, but couldn't take the heat. This weekend I'm going to start putting in onions and potatoes.