HEART RATE MONITOR/ZUMBA

Options
I have been doing Zumba sincer January and am having great results. Last week I decided to buy a heart rate monitor. I have worn it twice to Zumba and I am only burning 150 calories a work out!!! I really thought it would be more than that. Is any one else wearing a HRM to Zumba? What results are you getting?

Replies

• princess4mimi
    Options
    I've been thinking about starting Zumba, do you go to class or do it at home? Sorry I don't have a HRM yet?
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    How long is the workout? Do you break a sweat doing it? Are you sure your setting with the HRM are correct? What HRM is it?
    Usually I burn around 600 cals per hour doing Zumba. It was much more, when I started, but after months my body got used to it and I lost weight too (luckily), so I burn less cals now.
    150 cals burned could be correct, if you do a short 20 min ab workout, if you do it longer and are really into it, then I bet you burn much more.
  • blueeyes41512
    blueeyes41512 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing zumba at home for a week ..and wow, i would think it burned more calories than that, but in the dance section in the exercise that's about what it says you will burn. so that's what i've been going by, but i tell ya one thing..i work up a sweat.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Does your heart rate monitor have a chest strap? Those seem to be the most reliable. It sure seems like you would burn more calories in Zumba. That's a tough class!
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I go to a class 3 times a week. It is the mose fun I have ever had working out. I definitely recommend it.
  • LovelyTasha
    Options
    I personally have never tried Zumba, however I have a friend who just recently started it this week. This is what her exercise journal read:

Zumba at LOA. Heart rate monitor read 656 calories for the class (start up to cool down). Deducted calories for what would have been burned without the class.
  • 2BFitnFab
    2BFitnFab Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a polar heart rate monitor and I have the Zumba Dvd's. The last time I did the Zumba live workout I burned 793 calories I think. I was also dripping with sweat.
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    you should check the instructions on your hrm. I go to zumba 3 times a week and I always burn close to 900 calories. It really helps if you know the routines, when I first started, I was only burning 500-something. do you zumba for an hour? at minimum you should be burning close to 10 calories per minute. do you have a hrm with the chest strap? is all your data entered correctly? Also, you should periodically glance down at your watch to make sure that your heart rate is not reading 0. if it does that, the leads are not reading your heart rate and thus not accurately counting your calories. when mine was giving me problems in the past, I had to rub a little vaseline on my chest to help the leads if my skin is too dry. Also, make sure to add water to the inside of the strap before you put it on and make sure it is reading as soon as you put it on. Usually my resting heart rate is about 65 so I make sure its reading a number and not a 0 before I get started. I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba sincer January and am having great results. Last week I decided to buy a heart rate monitor. I have worn it twice to Zumba and I am only burning 150 calories a work out!!! I really thought it would be more than that. Is any one else wearing a HRM to Zumba? What results are you getting?

I do Zumba but don't have a HRM yet. You may want to check your settings or chest strap because Zumba has to burn way more calories than that. What kind did you buy?

Princess-I take a class and its a GREAT workout! I've heard there are DVD's but my instructor is great and keeps it fun and teaches a variety of moves.:smile:
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    I bought a HRM, too.....did an HOUR of cardio....and not light effort! It said I burned 157 cal's! I boxed it up & returned it. And, Zumba is from 500-1000 cals an hour depending on effort (my friend is an instructor & she told me this). I'd say your HRM is definitely wrong, too.
  • bordersvm
    bordersvm Posts: 70
    Options
    I do Zumba at least 3 times a week, more if possible (busy with family). I burn about 400 calories in a class. I am dripping with sweat every time. I love Zumba!!! I am getting certified to teach it in April! I wish you much Zumba love, my friend with your weight loss journey!!

Oh yeah, you may want to make sure your monitor is set correctly...

:happy:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    is that an hour? Mine was 500 in 45 minutes :/
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have rechecked my setting a couple times and the seem to be correct. tI does not have a chest strap, it is a Sportline Solo 925. It was recommended to me at the sporting good store I purchased it. It was not the most expensive, but not the cheapest. I told them I was more concerned about the accuracy than the cost, this was what they offered me.

I am working out 1 hour at a class, and am sweating extremely, I look like I just stepped out of the shower when I am done.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    return it....I recommend getting one with a strap...they are very accurate...I wear mine with Zumba and burn from 500-650 calories in an hour....
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am a big girl, and was totally sedentary til I started a contest, and one of the things I did was start going to Zumba. I knew I was getting more cals burned that what I could find here on MFP so I bought a Timex HRM with chest strap. It logs me as burning 1200-1400 cals for an hour class. I push myself and I am soaked in sweat at the end, but I love it. I also like that the HRM allows me to not go over a certain HR because I have had a couple of issues with my heartbeat getting too high. I know mine are probably a little higher than most peoples but like I said, I was totally sedentary til I started this!
  • jmaurer117
    Options
    I take Zumba weekly and our instructor wears a heart monitor each class so we generally know how much we burn. Hers has always been somewhere around 650-850 calories for the hour class.
  • cathyAprice
    Options
    If it doesn't have the chest strap, it can't calculate calories burned because it doesn't know what your heart rate is throughout the whole workout. I was opposed to one with a chest strap, thinking it would be uncomfortable but I don't even know it's there. I got mine from Amazon -- it's a Timex for $40 with the chest strap. Polar is the best though (per consumers.org)

Best wishes on your weight loss journey!! Friend me if you want! :)

C
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i have wii zumba and its just like the class i took, i love it .and im sweating big time to .i heard you can burn up to 800 cal an hour doing it.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have rechecked my setting a couple times and the seem to be correct. tI does not have a chest strap, it is a Sportline Solo 925. It was recommended to me at the sporting good store I purchased it. It was not the most expensive, but not the cheapest. I told them I was more concerned about the accuracy than the cost, this was what they offered me.

I am working out 1 hour at a class, and am sweating extremely, I look like I just stepped out of the shower when I am done.

I would return your heart monitor-- it doesn't appear to be working correctly from the information that you have put here...
  • allornothinggrl
    Options
    I have a Polar F 6 with a chest strap...The chest strap is very important...also this unit does not cross talk with others in the gym. I have not tried it at Zumba, but today on the treadmill, I burned 626 calories. I have never had a workout yet under 500 and that is anywhere from 40-60 mins!