HEART RATE MONITOR/ZUMBA

Options
2»

Replies

• Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and comments. It looks like this HRM is going back. I will get one with a strap and let you know how I make out.
  • crisdB
    crisdB Posts: 49
    Options
    I got an HRM about 2-3 weeks ago, for 60 minutes of Zumba the lowest i've done is about 760(+) calories and the highest was 963 . Mine is the watch, I do check my HR after each routine (every 4-5minutes) so that it can be as accurate as possible.
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    your HRM must not be set right. I burn at least 500 calories.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well, I took your advice and ran out tonight and returned my monitor. I purchased the Polar F6. The other monitor I had took my all afternoon to figure out and set. This one took me about 5 minutes. I have a Zumba class Sunday afternoon. I can't wait to try it out!!!

Thanks for the advice.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Let us know how many calories you burn tomorrow!:smile:
  • KimA1
    KimA1 Posts: 47
    Options
    How did that work out? Did it read many more calories with your new one? I just purchased a Polar FT4 today for Zumba. Can't wait to try it out and see what I'm burning. :)
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I wore mine to Zumba and it was at almost 100% the whole time. Maybe you have a bad instructor. You should be sweating lots!
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I wear my HRM and in my last 40 minutes of Zumba I burned 350 calories ... I would be checking your HRM settings if I were you.
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have a polar heart rate monitor and I have the Zumba Dvd's. The last time I did the Zumba live workout I burned 793 calories I think. I was also dripping with sweat.

Wow that could explain why I am extra hungry on Saturdays....I do the LIVE workout then and without a HRM I log it under high impact aerobics and its about 450 calories......
  • princess4mimi
    princess4mimi Posts: 192
    Options
    SO I went to my first Zumba Class yesterday but, I forgot to wear my fairly new HRM and I have no idea how to log it since it's not listed as a choice.....Arrrrgggh!!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor. I'll be honest - it's fun. It's a good workout. Not a great workout. There are a lot of overweight Zumba instructors even though they teach 10 classes a week. I didn't really see results in my body until I went back to old school: running, boot camp, tabata, etc. Don't get me wrong. Zumba is a great place to start and it's better than nothing, but it's not the BEST workout out there....
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a question about the HRM with a strap. Does it submit the information to the watch electronically or is there a wire? I'm totally HRM illiterate and want to buy one but don't have alot of money. I keep hearing about the Polar FT6 as being the best but it's a bit out of my price range. Does anyone have one they like for around $50?
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've gone to a few classes and I am sweating my butt off and I know it's a bunch of calories however, I did notice a few of the people that were in the class that knew all the songs/dance moves and such didn't seem to sweat at much as others.

It may be that their body is used to it, I don't know but I could see how their calories wouldn't be as much as the persons next to them that drenched. (the HRM could tell ya)
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,270 Member
    Options
    I think Zumba is a great aerobic workout! I lost inches and clothes fit well after doing it for 5 months.
    I like my Polar FT4 and the strap is really comfortable, no wire. I bought it on Bodytronics for $88 and if I'd been paying attention I could have had a $5 dollar off coupon from this site but missed it.
  • kathyazach
    kathyazach Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I workout 3 days a week going to Zumba and tried a standard wrist heart rate monitor, it showed similar results: 200 calories burned for 60 mins. i have several friends in the class that have chest strap/continuous heart rate monitor and theirs show 900-1100 calories burned.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 HRM. I take a Zumba class every Saturday morning for 60 mintues. I get a reading of between 350 - 500 calories burned depending on the routine. Some are more energetic than others. Effort is important. I did find that once I started wearing the HRM for class I tended to work harder. I kept the watch that reads the chest strap monitor set to read my heart rate...everytime I saw it slowing down I started moving more. I noticed the difference at the end of session with the HRM from when I wasn't wearing it.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba classes at my gym at once or twice a week for about 2 and a half months. At the beginning, I didn't have a monitor but I had been logging my calories burned according to what Zumbacalories.com told me, which was close to 600. I bought my monitor middle of February and was shocked to find that in the hour Zumba class, I usually only burn between 350-400 calories. I always thought I was burning so much more but I guess not. I try to jump around a ton, even if I'm not doing the moves correctly just to get my heart rate up and hopefully burn some extra calories. It all just depends on how hard you work. But even if I don't burn that much, I still feel fantastic and sore after that class! So it's totally worth it!