Why do People Misuse the Oxford Comma?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jbuntu
    jbuntu Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In todays' world, they're will never not be people whom don't use it alot.

That made my head hurt.
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    Honestly why does it matter? I try to use commas and correct punctuation but I do make errors at times. I understand people online when they type things. As long as they don't "ta1p lyk3 dyz" who cares?
  • danoprince
    Options
    I notice the OP is quick to make his original post, but won't respond to any sort of rebuttal. That's cute.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Because they're undereducated, confused, and not willing to spend 20 seconds on Wikipedia like yourself, good sir.

:D:D Made me smile :D:D
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Either way, JFK and Stalin aren't going to show up.
    Word.

And come on - people struggle with spelling lose and loose correctly here. They can't even tell you where Oxford is, never mind why they misuse its comma.

"Oxford? Jess head on up to Batesville and go t'ord Tupelo on 51. Can't miss it."
    :heart: laughed out loud
  • MrsGoHard
    MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's WILD. I was just having this convo in my head! I really don't know. I totally go "this, this, and that." for the most part because it's how I was taught. lol RARELY I go "this, that and this."
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The serial comma (also known as the Oxford comma or Harvard comma, and sometimes referred to as the series comma) is the comma used immediately before a coordinating conjunction (usually and or or, and sometimes nor) preceding the final item in a list of three or more items. For example, a list of three countries can be punctuated as either "Portugal, Spain, and France" (with the serial comma) or as "Portugal, Spain and France" (without the serial comma).[1][2][3]
    Um, I think I love you.

I am an adamant serial comma user. And a grammar nazi - and, yes, starting the sentence with "and" is okay in this instance.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the practical application of sentence diagraming, in my day to day life. This is all beyond my comprehension....
    I taught sentence diagramming, once upon a time.

Sadly, no one really uses it anymore, so we end up with really vague.. oh, look, a squirrel!
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    oxford-comma-12414.jpg

Lol
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm a "Grammar Nazi". I've never heard that term....or the Oxford Comma. I mean, why don't they just call it a comma? It's not THAT hard, haha. I also don't like the word "lol", but I will use it occasionally.
    Remember, when combining two sentences, use a conjunction like I did. Fifth sentence shows two sentences: I also don't like the word "lol" and but I will use it occasionally.
    Combining those with "but", I get that sentence up there. Use the comma, young ones. It makes you sound educated. If you want to find out if you can use a conjunction to combine two sentences, take the two sentences you find suitable for a conjunction. Say them separately like a sentence.
    Example:
    1. I also don't like the word "lol".
    2. But I will use it occasionally.
    Can the second sentence be said normally like a real sentence? If the answer is yes, then find the appropriate conjunction: and, or, or but.

I was an overachiever in English, and I felt like giving you an English lesson today.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure punctuation nearly always falls inside quotation marks. I happen to like using the abbreviation "lol," but it depends on the situation. :flowerforyou: Everyone makes mistakes or forgets a rule from time to time. I know I do! :)
  • QuixoticPanda
    QuixoticPanda Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Making good use of Wikipedia I see. :P
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm a "Grammar Nazi". I've never heard that term....or the Oxford Comma. I mean, why don't they just call it a comma? It's not THAT hard, haha.

Eh? Because, it's easier to say or write "Oxford Comma" than "the comma used immediately before a coordinating conjunction".
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm a "Grammar Nazi". I've never heard that term....or the Oxford Comma. I mean, why don't they just call it a comma? It's not THAT hard, haha. I also don't like the word "lol", but I will use it occasionally.
    Remember, when combining two sentences, use a conjunction like I did. Fifth sentence shows two sentences: I also don't like the word "lol" and but I will use it occasionally.
    Combining those with "but", I get that sentence up there. Use the comma, young ones. It makes you sound educated. If you want to find out if you can use a conjunction to combine two sentences, take the two sentences you find suitable for a conjunction. Say them separately like a sentence.
    Example:
    1. I also don't like the word "lol".
    2. But I will use it occasionally.
    Can the second sentence be said normally like a real sentence? If the answer is yes, then find the appropriate conjunction: and, or, or but.

I was an overachiever in English, and I felt like giving you an English lesson today.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure punctuation nearly always falls inside quotation marks. I happen to like using the abbreviation "lol," but it depends on the situation. :flowerforyou: Everyone makes mistakes or forgets a rule from time to time. I know I do! :)

Punctuation inside quotation marks is an American thing. There is actually a very convincing argument against it-- which makes so much sense I changed my ways about a year ago! See: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_good_word/2011/05/the_rise_of_logical_punctuation.html
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I love the Oxford Comma.

Me too.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I am siding with my favorite Vampire Weekend song of the same name....

Who gives a **** about an oxford comma...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I'm a "Grammar Nazi". I've never heard that term....or the Oxford Comma. I mean, why don't they just call it a comma? It's not THAT hard, haha.

Eh? Because, it's easier to say or write "Oxford Comma" than "the comma used immediately before a coordinating conjunction".

Taso, you are smart, handsome, and strong. "Coordinating conjunction...." *swoon*
  • jenna_scott
    jenna_scott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I thought diagramming sentences was fun!

But I'm waiting for a person of importance, or a person in deep despair to utter these words; "Quick I need these sentences diagrammed IMMEDIATELY!". As if the future of the world, depended on it. And if the future of the world depended on ME doing the diagramming, we are screwed!

Can we get a ruling on proper comma usage on the last two sentences here??

and the first??

Never mind the proper comma ruling, whatever happened to not starting a sentence with a conjunction? Is that one out the window too like the final comma? What is this world coming to?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I was taught that the "and" or "or" took place of that comma. To this day I never use it! Right or wrong, I like being the grammatical rebel.

This ^^^