Tell me how to learn how to love exercising

Options
13»

Replies

• Xanovira
    Xanovira Posts: 11
    Options
    It just kind of happened for me after a while. I turned it into a coping mechanism for when school and work became to stressful. I have a border collie, so part of getting into exercise was to benefit her health as well. I felt like I owed it to her. Also, as a person that grew up on video games, it kind of clicked for me when I realized that exercise is like leveling up in a game. Leave it to me to turn it geeky.

Like others of said, you really just need to find what you like doing. For example, I would choose swimming over any other exercise opportunity. I could swim all day, every day. I just find it that enjoyable. Find types of exercise you like can be hit and miss; just go test the waters.
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I pair exercise with something I like. For instance, I do the stationary bike every day for 35 minutes, and I usually schedule my bike time when my favorite show is on so I can watch in the gym, or I get to read a magazine I like, or I pick a page-turner but I am only allowed to read it on the bike, etc. Also, the weight loss becomes rewarding so I kind of look forward to the work out and I just feel good afterwards now. I guess part of it is just making it a habit.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    It just happens. Find something you like or can at least tolerate. Then just stay after it. I've often wondered how I got here. I hated to get sweaty or be hot when I was overweight. Now I love it when I'm working out and the sweat drips out of my hair. I hated running, thought lifting weights was boring, cycling was too hard, walking was tedious. Now I lift 5 days a week, I run 5K's, do metric century rides on my bike, hike for hours, take aikido, and enjoy challenging my body in new ways. And I get really cranky when I don't get out and do SOMETHING. I injured my back back in November and spent over 2 months on the couch and I thought if I didn't get to LIFT something soon I was going to lose my mind. Just stay with it and it will happen.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I don't know that there's an undo for hate.
    I used to hate it.
    I now don't hate it. I like it - but don't love it.
    It's about the rewarding feeling when I'm done - more than anything else.
  • BrandyHuey
    Options
    I hate working out until I get to the gym and get started! I have recently found that I LOVE doing Yoga, it makes my body feel amazing and my mind is clear and alot less stressed! I have been on my track to a healthier lifestyle for only about 2 months and have lost 16 lbs! I just started on MyFitnessPal a couple of days ago and it makes me more consious about what I am eating and is helping me with setting the goals that I want and need to accomplish!
  • tsitra1
    tsitra1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to do ANYTHING for a week...and then fall in love with the extra energy you have! Eventually you will become almost 'addicted' to the feeling and not mind moving your body.
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say it this way. You are SUPPOSED to hate it. It should be HARD WORK if you are doing it to lose weight. If you are NOT in pain, sweating profusely, breathing so hard that your lungs hurt and your face is red you ARE NOT pushing yourself hard enough.

I started out this way and I absolutely HATED going to the gym. It hurt, it was tiring and at first I didn't feel like it was doing anything for me. But I wanted to be in better shape so badly that I pushed myself to keep going. I think that is also the key to success. You really have to want it to be able to keep pushing yourself.

It is EASY to give up. It is HARD to say just 5 more minutes.

Then something happened. I found I was able to push myself harder. What seemed difficult for the first while was suddenly becoming easy. It felt good. I finally started to FEEL the results of pushing so hard for so long. THAT is the addiction. Knowing you have pushed through what you "couldn't" do and can now do even more for longer, for harder and faster. It is an incredible feeling to feel strong.

There will be those who disagree with me and those who agree. Either way that is how it has worked for me. I have fluctuated from steady gym 5 days a week to barely going at all to doing more biking and hiking outside. And my weight has fluctuated with me. All in all I can say in the last 4 or 5 years or so I have made quite a few changes in my lifestyle that have all been beneficial.

Again you have to WANT to want to do it. You are your greatest motivator.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. It will suck you in!
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I hated exercising as well and i'm still not fully converted to loving it. But for me it's the boredom of doing the same thing day in and day out. So I learned to mix it up to stay engaged and motivated to at least do some form of exercise for 30 minutes a day.

Walking and Just Dance are my two "go to" things when I'm really hating having to exercise.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I wish i could help. I grew up as an athlete, started competitive swimming at the age of 7 and kept on swimming through college.

For me, taking time off of exercise feels weird!

Swimming is something I love to do. Competition was fun for me. If you are competitive, maybe try to find a way to make exercise competitive. Set goals and try to make them. If you want to learn how to run, sign up for a 5K in your area, or join a team of some sort. Many recreational centers, gyms, the y, etc. have adult volleyball, softball/baseball leagues that could be a fun way to exercise without knowing it.

Pick up a new hobby, learn how to do something you never knew how to do. You'll get in shape and have fun doing it. The sense of accomplishment after will be SO rewarding.
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I cannot TELL You want to do, but I can tell you what happen to me. Lol! I"m a super lazy, fat Asian chick (ugly one too).

Nonsense! You look adorable!

As for the OP, I pretty much agree that you need to find something you like doing.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    There are several ways:

Sing the national anthem from the country of your choice once you produce a mild perspiration.

Quote Shakespeare while you are stretching.

Pantomime your feelings about exercise during a rest period.

Send a letter to an unknown deity to grant you a wish for every calorie you think you burned.
  • neilisfat
    neilisfat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Exercise is addictive. It releases seratonin just like a lot of drugs ( or food). YOu have to find something aerobic and vigorous that you can easily fit into your day.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    personally, it was making it a habit for me. I HATED the idea of working out, being sore, getting sweaty, etc etc..then I lost 140 pounds...over the last few years, i"ve put about 70 pounds back on, and have been MISSING working out. it really does become enjoyable/addictive, it just takes getting yourself that initial push

Exactly. That's how it was for me. I HATED exercise. So much. why can't I lose weight playing video games? The wii doesn't count. But... I've been doing it nearly everyday for the last 3 months (because I want to eat more... and I like eating more than i hate exercise), and today I actually realized that I'm looking forward to my run today. Crazy how it sneaks up on you!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    For me, it is all about having a goal that interests me. For example, right now I am getting ready for a 10k which is in 3 months, so I have a focus in my running. In the past, I have also had goals to work toward of a certain amount I want to bench press, or something else.

A big part of it, I think, is the story you tell yourself. Constantly think about how much you hate it, you'll hate it. Tell yourself it's fun and enjoyable, and it doesn't feel so bad. This principle actually works in many different aspects of your life, too.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to do ANYTHING for a week...and then fall in love with the extra energy you have! Eventually you will become almost 'addicted' to the feeling and not mind moving your body.

Be carfeful what you promise. That kind of energy and 'addiction' never happens for a lot of people, myself included.