Do you log walking your dog?

Options
124»

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log walking my dogs. I always take them on long walks each night about 30+ mins at least. I usually only log about 15-20mins of it though and say it was a leisure walk....
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I always wonder if the converse side of this argument is "I don't log eating mars bars because I've always eaten one every day, it's just part of my daily activity / lifestyle".

Still, other people's exercise and food choices have yet to affect my progress!
  • vegasaims
    vegasaims Posts: 128
    Options
    I walk my dog daily, but typically only log when we go on additional walks. Sometimes we go 2 or 3 times a day depending on if I want to get out of the house or he is getting antsy. SO, i typically only log the extra dog walking.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I have cats. Should I log negative calories burned for not walking them?
    Well, if petting a cat reduces stress then it will also reduce your heart rate, which will reduce the No of calories you are burning at that time.

By that rationale there should be an exercise entry for "petting cat" which subtracts the number of calories you *haven't* burned as a result of being so relaxed.

No wonder I got so fat! damn felines!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I always wonder if the converse side of this argument is "I don't log eating mars bars because I've always eaten one every day, it's just part of my daily activity / lifestyle".

Still, other people's exercise and food choices have yet to affect my progress!

LOL
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options

HAH! This.

Walking for two to three hours per day is not sedentary. If you're set to sedentary, then log it. If you're set to a higher activity level, then don't.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I do, I'm set at sedentary and walking my dogs is not a daily occurance. They have a big backyard to romp and play in so walking is a treat for them and a workout for me :bigsmile:
  • timetotakecount
    timetotakecount Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I should. I lost 20lbs in the first year I got my puppy I was 50lb over weight, without changing my eating habits at all,6 years ago. It burns calories I know it does.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't log the 5 /10 minute 'toilet walks that I give my dogs each day (the hubby also takes them for 2 'toilet' walks

BUT I do log the extra, usually longer ones that I take them along on - those walks are MY walks - they are just gaining walking/jogging time that before MFP would never have happened

They love the new regime :)
  • todaystuesday
    todaystuesday Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I log the 3 mile walking your dog and my dog doesn't walk lol. I use that speed because I have no idea how fast I am walking and that sounds good. I will get a fitbit one day and know my true speed and maybe I can quit "walking " my dog

This just made me laugh!
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have in the past. BUT I don't really consider walking exercise. Personally, I should be sweating my *kitten* off and out of breath for an activity to be considered exercise. If I take my dog for a strenuous hike or for a run, I do log it.

you don't consider "walking"exercise or walking the dog exercise. Cuz walking is definitely exercise for a lot of people. And its a fat burning exercise if you are walking at 60% which for me is 4.0 mph. Even I take a 2 mile stroll after meals-and its definitely counted!

I PERSONALLY don't count walking as exercise. That doesn't mean that it's not for other people... Just my choice. I would rather have it as a bonus and not log it. As I said, if I go for a hike or a run, I do. Not trying to offend you if you walk for exercise. If you want to log it, that's your personal choice. I'm not offended by that. To each their own!

Maybe "consider" was the wrong word.. I don't "count" it. Also, when I take my dog for a walk, it is stop, go, stop, go. Not strenuous at all. And, I'll let her run circles around me if she's got a lot of energy.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    When I first started walking the dog was my main exercise. I have actually had to start leaving the dog at home because it was starting to take its toll on the dog.

It was a sad day when I realized taking my Leah for runs was making her limp. Now I run on my own and walk her. And yes I log my walks with her as we walk for 2-3 miles a day. No, I don't log it when I'm just taking her potty even if it means walking around to find the right spot... lol. But that's probably because it doesn't take her long to find that spot ;).
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I absolutely log it in. I walk about 30 minutes at a steady pace and no stopping to sniff. Its good for both of us.

I know this is OT and I may well get bashed for saying it, but I just wanted to point out that not allowing a dog to stop and sniff is NOT good for it! (of course the exercise bit is, so good for you both, but from a mental stimulation perspective, and for fulfilment of natural behaviours, sniffing is absolutely necessary for a dog on walkabouts!)

I do log my walks if they're fairly well-paced, but if it's one of the days where we stop as much as start so the old boy can have a real good explore of everything, then it won't get logged. I'm set to sedentary though, so I don't feel like adding walking calories is clutching more more eating room lol.

My dog walks off leash for full 80 minutes. She has plenty of time to sniff and pee :D
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have cats. Should I log negative calories burned for not walking them?
    Well, if petting a cat reduces stress then it will also reduce your heart rate, which will reduce the No of calories you are burning at that time.

By that rationale there should be an exercise entry for "petting cat" which subtracts the number of calories you *haven't* burned as a result of being so relaxed.

No wonder I got so fat! damn felines!

:laugh:

but stress reduction reduces cortisol production which means we store less fat - lovely felines :happy:
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options

I know this is OT and I may well get bashed for saying it, but I just wanted to point out that not allowing a dog to stop and sniff is NOT good for it! (of course the exercise bit is, so good for you both, but from a mental stimulation perspective, and for fulfilment of natural behaviours, sniffing is absolutely necessary for a dog on walkabouts!)

I have two different walks. The walks where I'm out to exercise/stimulate the dogs - 'their' walks. And MY walks, where I'm out to march/jog to burn my calories. On 'my' walks it's a different tempo and the dogs are NOT permitted to amble and sniff on 'my' walks. I'll even say out loud to them 'this is my walk' and they put their heads down and march it out with me.

It does them the world of good to have this variety - though I agree that never allowing them to have 'their' walks wouldn't be very fair :)x