Tell me how to learn how to love sardines

Options
bbbgamer
bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
How can one who hates them learn to love them and take advantage of their benefits? If you plan on debunking the below information I copied from a website, just pretend I have about ten cans I need to eat...I hate to throw them out, and I dont have a cat...

Cardiovascular Benefits
Sardines are rich in numerous nutrients that have been found to support cardiovascular health. They are one of the most concentrated sources of the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, which have been found to lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels. Sardines are an excellent source of vitamin B12, which promotes cardiovascular health as it is intricately tied to keeping levels of homocysteine in balance; homocysteine can damage artery walls, with elevated levels being a risk factor for atherosclerosis.

Bone and Joint Health
Sardines are a superb source of bone-building calcium and contain surprisingly high concentrations of vitamin D, a nutrient not so readily available in the diet. Vitamin D prevents unwanted inflammation and helps bones in their absorption of calcium. Sardines are a great source of phosphorus too, a key mineral in strengthening the bone matrix. Recent studies also show that the omega-3s found in abundance in sardines support joint cartilage and help regulate and stabilize the balance of collagen and minerals in bone and surrounding tissue.

Cancer Prevention
For many years, researchers have known that vitamin D participates in the regulation of cell activity. Because cell cycles play such a key role in the development of cancer, optimal vitamin D intake may turn out to play a significant role in the prevention of various types of cancer.

Selenium, of which sardines are also a very good source, is a mineral with powerful antioxidant activity, whose dietary intake has been associated with reduced risk of cancer. The Omega-3 fatty acids found in sardines have also been connected to decreased risk for several types of cancer, including colorectal cancer, prostate cancer, and breast cancer. Regular omega-3 intake has been proven particularly effective against the blood cell or lymph cell-related cancers such as leukemia, multiple myeloma, and non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Consumption of fatty fish, such as sardines, presents substantial protection against renal cell carcinoma, the most common form of kidney cancer.

Eye Health
The high levels of omega-3 essential fatty acids in sardines offer substantial protection against macular degeneration (AMD) of the eye, a condition in which fine vision deteriorates, resulting in central vision loss and is the leading cause of blindness in people over 50. Studies also strongly suggest that the consumption of omega-3 fatty acids also reduces the risk of dry eye syndrome, a common cause of ocular complaints.

Skin and Hair
The omega-3s found in seafood lock moisture into skin cells, encouraging the production of strong collagen and elastin fibers, which contribute to more youthful looking skin. Omega-3s have also been known to alleviate skin blemishes and maintain good hair luster. Omega-3s provide nourishment to hair follicles, helping hair grow healthy and preventing hair loss. A rich supply of proteins is also important for hair growth. The high protein content of seafood helps maintain strong, healthy hair.

Packed full of Protein
Sardines are rich in protein, which provides us with amino acids. Our bodies use amino acids to create new proteins, which are the foundations for cells. Proteins form the basis of muscles and connective tissues, antibodies that keep our immune system strong, and deliver oxygen and nutrients throughout our bodies.

Replies

• Rose_Oh
    Rose_Oh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sprinkled with liberal amounts of balsamic vinegar!
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    To love sardines- start fishing... they make great bait, and you can take a fish oil supplement for the Omega's! Most of the oil in good fish oils is from sardines.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I love sardines. They are good on crackers or right out of the can
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Sorry. No. That's gross.

If you don't like something don't eat it. Find other foods that can give you all the same benefits.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Tell me how to learn how to love sardines

no
    freakin'
    WAY!
    *gag*
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Close your eyes and think of England.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Cant... I feed them to my dogs for their coats...
    Or fishing like someone else said..
    :noway: :sick: :noway:
  • joyce1129
    joyce1129 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could live long enough to learn to love sardines, but, since you want to try...how about covering them in dijon mustard? That should mask to taste.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    eeewwwww
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Traditional Caesar dressing, use lots of it.
  • Beesknees22
    Beesknees22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like to use them in sauce when I'm making pasta with white clam sauce. It gives it a good flavor. Or just on plain crackers. I tried them on crackers with cream cheese one time too and that was good. Kinda cut down on the strong flavor. If you really dont want to throw them out then just man up and eat them! haha
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've never had them, but maybe on a homeade pizza? It's not anchovies, but maybe it's similar? I stick with the Omega supplements, or Tuna/Salmon.
  • angelovearth
    Options
    I love them, personally. I eat them on crackers as a snack. I especially love the ones in tomato sauce.
    Whenever I eat something that tastes bad or that I don't like, I usually just hold my nose and eat it anyway. I think of it as medicine for my body and remind myself that food is fuel and doesn't necessarily have to taste good. But that's just me. lol
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Close your eyes and think of England.

I see what you did there. :smile:
  • acrego
    acrego Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do you like spicy food? How about mixing them with some hot sauce & serving over steamed rice? There are Thai recipes for sardines, but if you don't like burning heat, it might not work...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Hide them in your bacon.

Use them as bait to catch bigger fish.

Use them as bait to catch stray cats to feed them to.

Hide them in your eggs.

Hide them in a state of inebriation.

Find them in a state of inebriation.

Consume them in a state of inebriation.

Offer them to children on Halloween.

One fish at a time.

Hide the leftovers in the eggs that are thrown at your house for giving children canned sardines.
  • bbbgamer
    Options
    If you really dont want to throw them out then just man up and eat them! haha

I maybe shouldnt say this so publicly but I dont know if I am man enough for these stinky little things!

And thanks for the idea but adding crackers isnt really gonna help :-)
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Put them on a pretzel
  • bbbgamer
    Options
    Put them on a pretzel
    Then I am gonna have to have some beer....but wait just a cotton picking minute. If I have the beer and pretzel first....... oh yeah!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how to learn to love sardines. There is a chemistry that is difficult to explain. They say that love comes along when you least expect it and aren't looking for it. My advice to you is to not try to force it. When the right sardine comes along though, you'll know. :heart: