Tell me how to learn how to love sardines

Options

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    All those benefits come from salmon, too. Why eat sardines when you can eat salmon?

As far as enjoying small fish, there are fish called smelts which are eaten fresh caught (not canned), dipped in batter, fried and eaten whole. They're pretty good, but I don't think they're very healthy that way.
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how to learn to love sardines. There is a chemistry that is difficult to explain. They say that love comes along when you least expect it and aren't looking for it. My advice to you is to not try to force it. When the right sardine comes along though, you'll know. :heart:

Lol! Best response I've seen in a long time.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I want to eat them for the health benefits. I just sauted them with onions and had them on toasted wheat bread with some honey dijon mustard on it. Tasted way better hot. I googled recipes for sardines and from what I read you can treat them just like tuna. My goal is one can every week or every two weeks :)
  • shortcaketx
    shortcaketx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    first its all about the recipe. check out Lidia's italy website, she cooks alot with sardines. Most Italians do. adding them to pasta or a tomato based soup. on crackers r good but not for everyone.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Do you like spicy food? How about mixing them with some hot sauce & serving over steamed rice? There are Thai recipes for sardines, but if you don't like burning heat, it might not work...

I am in Houston through the summer, how can I NOT like burning heat?
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Eat them at work - boss will send you home for stinking up the place - enjoy the day off; repeat until they are gone or you learn to like them. I eat them in my office whenever I want to be left alone for the afternoon - works like a charm. They are an acquired taste....
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love sardines. My advice: try to buy a can of the BEST sardines. Some of the best are produced in Portugal, they are canned in their high quality olive oil. To lower calorie intake, do not eat the oil, get them out of the can with a fork and put on a paper towel, and wipe with a paper towel. You can put them on any good bread (I use TJ European style bread or ciabatta). One other recipe- boils some young potatoes and crush them slightly with a fork, and then crush some of those goos sardines on top of them. Sprinkle with a little bit of chopped green onions. Yum!
    If the best sardines do not do it for you, maybe you are not a sardine person. Try canned salmon. Canned fish has a lot of calcium because you can eat the bones.
    Good luck!
  • bbbgamer
    Options
    I can't tell you how to learn to love sardines. There is a chemistry that is difficult to explain. They say that love comes along when you least expect it and aren't looking for it. My advice to you is to not try to force it. When the right sardine comes along though, you'll know. :heart:

Now if only I had not given up my virginity to that swordfish.......
  • bbbgamer
    Options
    Eat them at work - boss will send you home for stinking up the place - enjoy the day off; repeat until they are gone or you learn to like them. I eat them in my office whenever I want to be left alone for the afternoon - works like a charm. They are an acquired taste....

Maybe I can just open a can and leave them in my desk? Greaty advice!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it cannot be done.

btw, be aware that sardines can aggravate or bring an onset of gout, particularly in men.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown eats avocado and sardine sandwiches.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Alton Brown is a gross *kitten*.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Become a seal. :sick:
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Do you like spicy food? How about mixing them with some hot sauce & serving over steamed rice? There are Thai recipes for sardines, but if you don't like burning heat, it might not work...

this ^ put some hot sauce on it and call it a day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Alton Brown is a gross *kitten*.

don't talk that way about my man-crush
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I will never learn to like them, gross, I'm sure there are other things you can eat with great benefits, I won't make myself eat anything I don't like.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Brand and packing matter. I've had awesome sardines and I've had sardines that were so awful (and covered in hard scales!) that it was even impossible for the cat to eat them. Good sardines can be eaten right out of the can without needing anything...
  • Ticktockman
    Options
    I've had Alton Brown's sardine recipe and it's really, really good. Check it out: http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/sherried-sardine-toast-video/72047.html
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    amazing
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: